Who Do You Think Are Some Of The Most Underrated Guitar Players.

Steely Dan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Albert King was just "Albert King," like BB King or Stevie Wonder... as far as I know he just had a back-up band, and was never part of a named group (please correct me if I am wrong).

Albert King Plays blues.

I also love BB King. He has some real tasty little fills

Gary Moore formerly of Thin Lizzy

I love Gary Moore ... greatest guitar player that few have heard of.

David Gilmour - He plays with great feel.

I don't think he was necessarily underrated in his time - but Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits I think has been overlooked/forgotten over time.

I don't think Knopfler is underrated. I'm not saying he's overrated, I'm saying he gets the respect he deserves.

Mick Jones of the Clash (as well as Big Audio Dynamite and Carbon/Silcone) and the late James Honeyman-Scott from the original Pretenders lineup...

Both great but especially Honeyman-Scot

Albert King Plays blues.

Just like I said above about Knopfler he gets the respect he deserves because he's one of the all time greats.

Charlie Murphy's Prince story from the Chappelle Show!

Albert King Plays blues.

He is certainly not underrated. Anyone who plays the guitar knows an awful lot about his ability and ranks him up there with the "gods". Not to mention his On an Island Tour sold out in like 15 seconds. People know who he is...Look at any guitar magazine, he is always mentioned...he is the "sound" of Floyd. In the mainstream people may not know him by name, but they know the Floydian guitar sound...

Underrated would be like Mick Mars from Motley Crue - that dude can play

I was programming director at my college radio station back in the 90's and I recall having my hands on a bootleg Greenday disc in which Billie Joe Armostring was amazing on the guitar. He played Free Bird and another song I cannot recall, but it shocked the hell outta me.

Jerry Cantrell, Mick Thompson, Jim Root, DJ Ashba, John Sykes can also play the hell out of a guitar.

Prince.

The guy may be a weird little gnome, but there's no denying that he has incredible musical ability in terms of his ability to play numerous instruments, write music, arrange music, and also sing. But his guitar playing is outstanding.

Totally agree.

As weird as the guy is, and I don't really care for the vast majority of his stuff, he is an incredibly gifted musician.

Also:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...ted-guitarists/

I think several of these guys have been mentioned so far. Although I disagree on several on this list.

Alex Lifeson - Rush . . . Alex is kinda in the shadow of the other two members of the group who are generally considered to be among the best at their respective instruments.

Strong choice on Alex ...

Martin Barr from Jethro Tull

-- Lindsay Buckingham, inspired choice. He belongs in there based on his "Go Your Own Way" solo. Fantastic work.

-- Prince, good call. People seem to forget he can work a guitar behind all his eccentricities.

-- Mike Campbell. Saw Petty and The Heartbreakers tour when they were still relavent, back in the 80s, and Campbell was solid then.

-- Don't know if Brian May is under-rated, though there's a case that he is. The songs he wrote for Queen were their best rockers.

-- John Frusciante. Bravo. His work on Stadium Arcadium was out of this world. Though overplayed, his solo to end "Dani California," seemed a wonderful homage to Jimmy Page. And don't forget his subtler stuff, like listening to "Slow Cheetah." I bring that song up, because it popped up on my IPod last night. He just might be rock's most complete guitar player today.

-- Honeyman Scott, Pretenders weren't the same without his driving influence on the inaugural album.

I'll add two more:

-- Bobby Stinson of The Replacements. Died too soon.

-- David Grohl. He's grown up from his drumming days.

jw

Albert King should get more play, IMO. I also think Mike McCready is shortchanged, though I wouldn't put him top 10 or anything.

Here's a great big AMEN to Albert King! One of THE best. Spartan, but blues at the very best.

Jimi Hendrix (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

Tony Iommi (Sabbath)

Robert Fripp (King Crimson)

Michael Hedges (sadly deceased) Solo

Larry Coryell (Solo)

The Young Brothers (Angus & Malcolm) (AC/DC)

Craig Chaquico (Starship & Solo)

Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple & Rainbow)

Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)

Bob Welch (Fleetwood Mac & Solo)

Brian May (Queen)

Stevie Ray Vaughn (Double Trouble)

to name a few...ahem