CNSNews: CIA confirms waterboarding thwarted another 9/11

The Central Intelligence Agency told CNSNews.com today that it stands by the assertion made in a May 30, 2005 Justice Department memo that the use of “enhanced techniques” of interrogation on al Qaeda leader Khalid Sheik Mohammed (KSM) -- including the use of waterboarding -- caused KSM to reveal information that allowed the U.S. government to thwart a planned attack on Los Angeles.

Before he was waterboarded, when KSM was asked about planned attacks on the United States, he ominously told his CIA interrogators, “Soon, you will know.”

According to the previously classified May 30, 2005 Justice Department memo that was released by President Barack Obama last week, the thwarted attack -- which KSM called the “Second Wave”-- planned “ ‘to use East Asian operatives to crash a hijacked airliner into’ a building in Los Angeles.”

hmm.... very interesting

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/arti...px?RsrcID=46949

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just talking to my wife this past weekend about how it's amazing that there has not been any attacks, on any scale, here in the US since 9/11. We've been riding the buses and trains a lot here in SF and I pointed out how easy it would be to get a bomb on to any of these. Or even in a mall or restaurant. Have we made it that difficult to make bombs here, are we keeping those types of people out, have we thwarted every attempt or are they just planning something on a much more massive scale. Bombs seem to go off in Iraq on a daily basis, but here.....nothing.

How ironic......

In a two part interview airing tonight and tomorrow night on FOX News Channel's Hannity (9-10PM ET), former Vice President Dick Cheney shared his thoughts on the CIA memos that were recently declassified and also revealed his request to the CIA to declassify additional memos that confirm the success of the Bush administration's interrogation tactics:

CHENEY:

"One of the things that I find a little bit disturbing about this recent disclosure is they put out the legal memos, the memos that the CIA got from the Office of Legal Counsel, but they didn't put out the memos that showed the success of the effort. And there are reports that show specifically what we gained as a result of this activity. They have not been declassified."

"I formally asked that they be declassified now. I haven't announced this up until now, I haven't talked about it, but I know specifically of reports that I read, that I saw that lay out what we learned through the interrogation process and what the consequences were for the country."

"And I've now formally asked the CIA to take steps to declassify those memos so we can lay them out there and the American people have a chance to see what we obtained and what we learned and how good the intelligence was, as well as to see this debate over the legal opinions."

But was it worth it? I mean come on, 10,000 more dead is not worth one guy having water thrown in his face.

But as we pick through the rubble and bodies, we can all "feel good."

And Ill say the following to all the Nations out there, especially in Europe, who are acting all high and mighty and are demanding the US revise and fully disclose its interrogation tactics.

YOU FIRST.

“Both KSM and Zubaydah had ‘expressed their belief that the general US population was ‘weak,’ lacked resilience, and would be unable to ‘do what was necessary’ to prevent the terrorists from succeeding in their goals.’

They should have no problem reaching their goals now.

But as we pick through the rubble and bodies, we can all "feel good."

And Ill say the following to all the Nations out there, especially in Europe, who are acting all high and mighty and are demanding the US revise and fully disclose its interrogation tactics.

YOU FIRST.

How long have we known about waterboarding and pissing on their korans, and nudity and dogs in their faces etc etc ?

Dick Cheney can shove his opinions up his ass.

Will you get more information after water boarding

10 times in 1 month

20 times in 1 month

50 times in 1 month

180 times in 1 month

How long have we known about waterboarding and pissing on their korans, and nudity and dogs in their faces etc etc ?

Dick Cheney can shove his opinions up his ass.

Will you get more information after water boarding

10 times in 1 month

20 times in 1 month

50 times in 1 month

180 times in 1 month

So you would have let another 9/11 happen? It's pretty clear KSM wasn't going to talk any other way.

So you would have let another 9/11 happen? It's pretty clear KSM wasn't going to talk any other way.

Your evidence is anecdotal and there have been plenty of studies that say that torture is not effective. Assuming you get past the part where we're aspiring to be more human than the animals who attack us.

http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?topi...;news_id=510315

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/519416/

Your evidence is anecdotal and there have been plenty of studies that say that torture is not effective. Assuming you get past the part where we're aspiring to be more human than the animals who attack us.

Is this like the Global warming/man is the reason is a fact and your an idiot if you believe otherwise.

except water boarding prevented another 9/11... so it did work. The CIA has only water boarded 3 people... but hey... you would rather there be thousands of dead Americans?

except water boarding prevented another 9/11... so it did work. The CIA has only water boarded 3 people... but hey... you would rather there be thousands of dead Americans?

It's like Katrina, the federal government was prevented from doing a lot in NOLO for nearly a week from the slow governer request for help, to the blocking of aid by HUD and FEMA within the walls of congress. They would rather Americans suffer and die to further the liberal cause than actually prevent problems.

First, you're setting up a false dichotomy of water boarding vs. dead Americans. You're also making assumptions about the validity of what's being reported with regards to the motivations of the torturees for spilling their guts, assuming that's what happened.

Is this like the Global warming/man is the reason is a fact and your an idiot if you believe otherwise.

Kind of like you blindly accepting that torture directly led to thwarted terrorist attacks just because you're being told so by the very people who have every reason in the world to try to rationalize and justify their actions under ever-increasing public scrutiny.

I don't think you understand. If we play nice, then they'll play nice. If we don't waterboard, they'll stop decapitating people on video or stringing bodies up from bridges. It's like nuclear weapons. Once we stop our nuclear program, countries like NK and Iran will follow suit.

You're really not getting this, are you... :oops:

I don't think you understand. If we play nice, then they'll play nice. If we don't waterboard, they'll stop decapitating people on video or stringing bodies up from bridges. It's like nuclear weapons. Once we stop our nuclear program, countries like NK and Iran will follow suit.

You're really not getting this, are you... :oops:

So much for taking the high road, huh?

Out of curiosity, where do you stuff your principled Compassionate Christian Conservative values when these types of issues arise?

So much for taking the high road, huh?

Out of curiosity, where do you stuff your principled Compassionate Christian Conservative values when these types of issues arise?

Whilst I typically agree with you, in all fairness to the other side I have NEVER seen this particular wingnut proclaim itself to a either a Christian, or compassionate.

That probably doesn't surprise you. :oops:

So the report that torture prevented "another 9/11" is wrong, because torture in principle is ineffective, therefore can never work?

That's even more idiotic than their blind acceptance of "torture prevented another 9/11".

So the report that torture prevented "another 9/11" is wrong, because torture in principle is ineffective, therefore can never work?

That's even more idiotic than their blind acceptance of "torture prevented another 9/11".

What's so hard to accept? The CIA affirms that KSM only revealed information about a plane flying into an LA building after he was waterboarded. It's not hard to read.