I Guess Ms. USA

Damn that woman for being honest to her beliefs.

Thats the problem with this Country these days. Holding a PERSONAL opinion on an issue has now been defined as DENYING OTHER people THEIR rights on said issue.

Im "anti-gay" or a "homophobe" because I believe in the traditional definition of marriage???!!!?? Im sorry, did I just deny Tom and Harry three houses down from marrying becuase of that personal belief?

So this contestant is religious and has her own PERSONAL "moral" code. Good for her. Good for the other people who have THEIR own, different moral code. She has the right to an opinion on this issue as much as this Hilton clown does.

As if some Pastor down in Houston or some blonde in Fresno having their own beliefs somehow STOPS two gay men or women in New York from marrying? How does THAT work, exactly? What the !@#$ ever happenned to live and let live?

Last I checked, the ONLY people whose personal beliefs we need to be concerned about are the ones we (s)elect to write laws.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugghhh...I can't believe I'm about to admit this, but I watched the pageant. An old friend of mine (my wife's best friend from high school) is Miss Delaware so we checked it out. Of course, our friend didn't make the initial cut so I should have left then, but I was already in the lay-z-boy with a beer so getting up wasn't really high on my list.

Regarding Miss California, first off I'm glad she finished 2nd because I think North Carolina was hotter. QED...

But about her answer, it was obvious right away that she flushed her chance of winning down the toilet the moment she finished speaking. She gave an opinion which I completely disagree with, but I respect her so much more for saying it. She could have bit her tongue and avoided the question with a complete non-answer or she could have lied to be more diplomatic. But she stood her ground and gave an unpopular answer to a polarizing question.

I've known a few pageant girls and often this consumes their lives. This chick probably worked for years to win her state and finally make it to the big show. Then she gets down to the final few and knowingly throws it all away so that she could stick to her convictions and maintain some integrity. Good for her.

And for those of you who think she gave a stupid, thoughtless answer...it might not have been worded too well, but it was probably the best answer of the whole group (sad..I know). Check out Miss Arizona's answer...it might be worse than that chick a few years ago rambling about Iraq or whatever.

Q: Do you think that the US should have universal health care as a right of citizenship? Why or why not?

A: You know what I think this is an issue of integrity regardless of which end of the political spectrum I stand on. I've been raised in a family to know right from wrong and politics whether or not you fall in the middle, the left or the right it's an issue of integrity whatever your opinion is. And I say that with the utmost conviction.

Che? :rolleyes:

As if some Pastor down in Houston or some blonde in Fresno having their own beliefs somehow STOPS two gay men or women in New York from marrying? How does THAT work, exactly? What the !@#$ ever happenned to live and let live?

You tell me. Why are most states telling two adults who they can and cannot marry?

Ugghhh...I can't believe I'm about to admit this, but I watched the pageant. An old friend of mine (my wife's best friend from high school) is Miss Delaware so we checked it out. Of course, our friend didn't make the initial cut so I should have left then, but I was already in the lay-z-boy with a beer so getting up wasn't really high on my list.

So you're remote's broken? :rolleyes:

You tell me. Why are most states telling two adults who they can and cannot marry?

I would guess it has more to do with the rights around marriage more than anything else. Taxations, property, health care, etc.

So you're remote's broken? :lol:

:beer:

When Kate was eliminated I mentioned something about switching to the the basketball game and I could actually see my wife's knuckles whiten as she tightened her grip on the remote.

I had a chance a little later when she relaxed her guard and put it down on the coffee table, but again, lay-z-boy, beer....it just wasn't in the cards.

:lol:

When Kate was eliminated I mentioned something about switching to the the basketball game and I could actually see my wife's knuckles whiten as she tightened her grip on the remote.

I had a chance a little later when she relaxed her guard and put it down on the coffee table, but again, lay-z-boy, beer....it just wasn't in the cards.

I take it you've not been married as long as I have. Next time you're drinking a beer look at the fine print on the bottom of the bottle.

Empty bottle can be used as projectile to loosen wife's grip on much desired objects, such a TV remote.

And if the object is your wallet, I highly recommend a wine bottle.

The real issue is why these stupid pageants still include a gate for intelligence since, when it's all said and done, it's a BEAUTY pageant...not BRAINS...not INTEGRITY...not TALENT...just superficial, fleeting physical beauty. I am sure if any one of these young ladies showed up at your front doors (poor things) the first thing to cross your mind would not be the quality of her character. So trying to fool ANYONE into thinking that the ability to play the violin or speak sagely to current events has an impact on winning, is just another insult to the people who watch these things. (The contestants are already very aware.)

Gay is "morally depraved?" How is it "morally depraved" to love someone of the same sex? What moral is compromised? Are you saying that love between opposite sex peoples is de facto moral? Jesus H.

And here's a newsflash about your kids (and mine): They won't be affected by it if gay people marry either. My daughter is (likely--who knows) straight and yet knows and has been exposed to many gay people. Somehow she didn't get "the gay" on her even though we have a gay couple as immediate next door neighbors and one of her friends has 2 moms, and she's had homosexual coaches and teachers.

Get over yourself already caveman.

I said... In my opinion. I am not trying to sway yours, don't sway mine.

I think it should be banned unless there is socialized medicine. Banning it now makes them all have to get benefits on their own and not ride the coat tails of their significant other... More money in the pot if both of the partners are working.

I said... In my opinion. I am not trying to sway yours, don't sway mine.

I think it should be banned unless there is socialized medicine. Banning it now makes them all have to get benefits on their own and not ride the coat tails of their significant other... More money in the pot if both of the partners are working.

Huh? You're against gay marriage because you think it's going to bankrupt the health system?

That's dumber than the natural law argument that StupidNation made. No, that WAY WAY WAY dumber than the natural law argument. I bet if you think really hard about how stupid your argument is, you will even agree with me.

I don't care that you said in your opinion. Is that supposed to excuse your ignorance?

I take it you've not been married as long as I have. Next time you're drinking a beer look at the fine print on the bottom of the bottle.

Empty bottle can be used as projectile to loosen wife's grip on much desired objects, such a TV remote.

And if the object is your wallet, I highly recommend a wine bottle.

Shiit...I've been married for six weeks. And I don't know what the score is, but I think I'm losing. I've been developing this annoying habit of answering my phone on the way home from work even though I know it means she wants me to stop and get something. And yesterday she tricked me by asking if I wanted pizza for dinner and then going to take a bath so when the delivery guy showed up, my wallet was the one that got lighter.

I need to turn this thing around...the beer bottle info is a good start.

Shiit...I've been married for six weeks.

Now how did I know that. I will be celebrating 26 years next month. And a word to you if you want to make it to week seven (let alone year 26) do not listen to anything I've told you in this thread. :lol:

Now how did I know that. I will be celebrating 26 years next month. And a word to you if you want to make it to week seven (let alone year 26) do not listen to anything I've told you in this thread. :lol:

If he has been married six weeks and is still allowed to post here, then Notre Dame must teach something that clearly Rutgers does not.

Natalie Mains expressed her beliefs, as I recall, and was pilloried for it. Double standard? Maybe. Dick Cheney is also expressing his beliefs and people are leaving him alone. I wonder what would have happened had Jimmy Carter and

Walter Mondale gone after Raygun less than 3 months into his administration? hmmmmm

I don't watch pageants but this doesn't offend me. I don't agree with her but nothing I've read makes me think that she was vicious in any way. She has a belief, and she expressed it. These pageant people had to know that no matter what she said, people would be offended. It wasn't really an appropriate question for a beauty pageant.

I don't agree with her but nothing I've read makes me think that she was vicious in any way.

The vicious one, it turns out, was Perez Hilton, who apparently took the venom online and called a dumb bittch, amongst other things.

Apparently hell hath no fury like an egomaniacal self-promoter scorned.

Then she gets down to the final few and knowingly throws it all away so that she could stick to her convictions and maintain some integrity.

Not that I've ever watched a pageant, but knowingly? Come on really? You're telling me those blonds on stage know anything about what they are saying, much less the consequences of them? You've got to be yanking my chain.