PFT: league source says best trade for Philly in 10 yrs

jahnyc

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And wait until about the 10th week of the season, they will be saying it is one of the worst trades ever for Philly. Besides, name me even one trade that they have made in the last 10 years without searching on Google. I know I can't, other than the T.O. trade and how did that turn out-seeing how they made it to the Superbowl with him missing what the last 10 games of the regular season-and we all know what happened after that. I can't think of another Eagles trade, much less a few of them to compare it to.

We’re still skeptical as to Peters’ true value. Undrafted as a tight end, he gradually became a solid left tackle. Though getting a player like that might have been worth the picks from the glorified crapshoot job fair that is the NFL draft, $10 million per year is a lot of money to pay to a guy who gave up 11.5 sacks last year and didn’t know it.

The quote was that Philly made the best trade in the last 10 years. The title of my post was misleading, it is not Philly's best trade in the last 10 years (but, again, the best overall trade in the NFL in the last 10 years).

The guy gave up 11.5 sacks last year. And he missed 2 games. I can understand people thinking he's a gifted player because he has the potential to dominate, but he did not dominate last year. He's a money whore, and that's about it.

How can this be the best trade in the past 10 years? Maybe it will turn out to be exactly that for the Bills if they are able to parlay these picks into good players, and Peters continues to play like a jerk.

The quote was that Philly made the best trade in the last 10 years. The title of my post was misleading, it is not Philly's best trade in the last 10 years (but, again, the best overall trade in the NFL in the last 10 years).

That makes the quote even more retarded. The best trade in the NFL in the last 10 years? How about what a 4th or 5th round pick for Thomas Jones-who led the AFC in rushing last season. Almost nothing for the Chiefs to acquire Cassell and a superstar linebacker in Vrabel. Hell even what the Bills got for McGahee was a better deal then what the Eagles gave for Peters. I think we should ban all further Jason Peters posts, it is getting plain stupid now.

Its just another instance of giving away our homegrown talent for cheap. In 2 yrs when LT's are making 15 million/season, the Peters deal will look like a bargain. After hearing how enamoured Banner and Reid are with Peters, I think had Brandon stuck to his guns, we would have gotten a better deal. He is clearly a friggin Dufus when it come to being a hardline negotiator. We overpay Kelsay, then ut-oh, schobel is upset, lets over pay him too. Lets bring in Mckelvin and sign him to a shorter than usual 1st rd deal. Ut-oh, our starting LT with 2 yrs left on his contract is upset, lets trade him for less than market value, otherwise he may hold out and accrue 600k in fines, real scary.

Brandon is obviously in over his head and getting pushed around by these player agents. Agents must lick their chops when it comes to Brandon. He has overpaid for avg talent, and undersold our in house talent.

That makes the quote even more retarded. The best trade in the NFL in the last 10 years? How about what a 4th or 5th round pick for Thomas Jones-who led the AFC in rushing last season. Almost nothing for the Chiefs to acquire Cassell and a superstar linebacker in Vrabel. Hell even what the Bills got for McGahee was a better deal then what the Eagles gave for Peters. I think we should ban all further Jason Peters posts, it is getting plain stupid now.

Long-time NFL offensive line coach Jim McNally calls Jason Peters "the most devastating blocker and pass-protector I've ever coached" outside of Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz.

McNally opined that Peters pouted in Buffalo because the Bills handed out big money to lesser talents Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker while letting their franchise player twist in the wind. According to ProFootballTalk, one league source believes the Eagles just made the best trade in the last 10 years of the NFL..

and that Brandon should be fired on the spot for trading Peters to Philly. Apparently, this is from a league source not affiliated with the Bills or Eagles.

A source! A source said something! An anonymous source said something! Now we should doubt the move! Oh No! Maybe it's NOT such a good idea to get value for a guy who disrespects his team and coaches and organization! Maybe it's NOT such a good idea to get value for a guy that had One Good Season and thinks he deserves to be the highest paid LT in the game. Because...because...a source said something!

A source! A source said something! An anonymous source said something! Now we should doubt the move! Oh No! Maybe it's NOT such a good idea to get value for a guy who disrespects his team and coaches and organization! Maybe it's NOT such a good idea to get value for a guy that had One Good Season and thinks he deserves to be the highest paid LT in the game. Because...because...a source said something!

Just dont. You cant stir them up this early in the morning. They havent had their juice yet.

Opinions are like...well, you know. I'm sure there is some yahoo who thinks this was the bestest trade ever. For the Bills, it was a great trade. They got 3 picks for a malcontent who has had injury and motivation problems, and who came off a poor season, after getting him as an UDFA. Time will tell who got the better of the deal, and it's possible both teams might benefit, but it won't be determined by a "league source."

I think there are two problems for the Bills with this trade that are hard to argue intelligently against:

1. The Bills have traded away their starting LT for at best a rookie who almost certainly will need a year or more before he learns enough to become a vet at LT. This is in particular a tremendous risk for the Bills as they will need to rely on this rookie or a journeyman to guard the seemingly injury prone Edwards and to maximize the pass production in the one tear we are guaranteed T.O.

You find a Ryan Clady once a decade or two but barring us finding this type of lightening in a bottle we likely have written off making the playoffs next year.

2. The Bills have set a horrible precedent by essentially caving into Peters demands. Peters had as a goal to be one of the highest paid OL players in the NFL. Well from Peters and any other future Bills under contract but wanting a new deal, the working method is to pitch a hissy fit even if one is under contract and Brandon will help you achieve yiour goals by caving in and trading you to someone willing to pay your price.

I think it is really hard not to argue that the Bills have put their faith for 09 into the hands of the crapshoot winds of the Mel Kiper folks who worship the draft even though its 50/50 that any first round pick is gonna be first on the depth chart in their second year. It is also impossible not to see that at worst from Peter's perspective or any FA's that the Bills have given him exactly what he was demanding financially. Get ready for future Bills interested in FAs to throw hissy fits and be a pain because if you do Brandon the FO will give you what you want.

and that Brandon should be fired on the spot for trading Peters to Philly. Apparently, this is from a league source not affiliated with the Bills or Eagles.

If that were really the case, then shame on the other 30 teams for not lining up to better Philly's offer. If the Bills really got so robbed, shouldn't one of the other teams picking in the top 27 have stepped up to the plate?

I think there are two problems for the Bills with this trade that are hard to argue intelligently against:

1. The Bills have traded away their starting LT for at best a rookie who almost certainly will need a year or more before he learns enough to become a vet at LT. This is in particular a tremendous risk for the Bills as they will need to rely on this rookie or a journeyman to guard the seemingly injury prone Edwards and to maximize the pass production in the one tear we are guaranteed T.O.

You find a Ryan Clady once a decade or two but barring us finding this type of lightening in a bottle we likely have written off making the playoffs next year.

2. The Bills have set a horrible precedent by essentially caving into Peters demands. Peters had as a goal to be one of the highest paid OL players in the NFL. Well from Peters and any other future Bills under contract but wanting a new deal, the working method is to pitch a hissy fit even if one is under contract and Brandon will help you achieve yiour goals by caving in and trading you to someone willing to pay your price.

I think it is really hard not to argue that the Bills have put their faith for 09 into the hands of the crapshoot winds of the Mel Kiper folks who worship the draft even though its 50/50 that any first round pick is gonna be first on the depth chart in their second year. It is also impossible not to see that at worst from Peter's perspective or any FA's that the Bills have given him exactly what he was demanding financially. Get ready for future Bills interested in FAs to throw hissy fits and be a pain because if you do Brandon the FO will give you what you want.

Regarding:

1. If they select a rookie OT, and expect him to start at LT, then this will be valid. I don't think they will.

2. They would have caved if they had given him that $11.5M/year deal he wanted.

Regarding:

1. If they select a rookie OT, and expect him to start at LT, then this will be valid. I don't think they will.

2. They would have caved if they had given him that $11.5M/year deal he wanted.

1. I think the Bills are undertaking a risk that is unlikely to make this team perform better whether it is a rookie in 09 who like it or not is going to spend a year learning to become a vet (and unfortunately learning by doing by putting Edwards at risk as he learns to become a vet) or instead we use one of the journeymen LTs which appear to be about what is available out their on the market.

The best bet for the Bills seems likely to flip Walker to the LT role and instead stick this journeyman (a Chambers level player at the RT role and hope for the best.

2. The Bills would have committed the cave to end all caves certainly if they had simply given in to Peters highball negotiating demand of $11.5 mill a year, but you can't seriously argue that because they participated in a deal which did not deliver Peters his highball that Peters is not laughing all the way to the bank (and that future Bills who want more are not taking note) that the Bills had a player under contract for two more years at $4 million and because he threw a hissy fit and could not work out something with the Bills he has well more than doubled his annual salary.

The cave is whether the Bills can be forced to do something which gives a player under contract extraordinary rewards by the player in question holding his breath until he turns blue.

This is what the Bills did. This is the cave in because not only did Peters parley this situation into a huge extention and increase but the Bills almost certainly reduced their productivity in 09 because they gave up their starting LT to do this..

Can it work for the Bills to find a starting level talent at LT with the number 11 pick? Sure, this happened as recently as last year with the Ryan Clady pick. However, one is not watching to know that the Clady pick and output is by far the exception and not the rule for a #11 pick. In fact the rule is likely more like the #4 Mike Williams pick where the Bills found a starting RT as we likely will do this year if we flip Walker to LT. Its 50/50 at best for us that a player acquired in the draft for us at either tackle position is gonna be a starter on our depth chart in his second year. This is not simply just a theory but this is generally how it plays out in the real world.

Even worse, for every Clady who makes us forget the names of Peters, Woolford, etc, there actually are the Mike Williams and Corey Loucheys whom we wish we could forget.

The Bills caved because they gave Peters virtually everything he wanted even though he was under contract. One would be a fool not to think that Fred Jackson is not taking note of these events. Brandon simply showed that it pays to be a jerk when it comes to negotiating with the Bills.