Peter King has lots of Bills thoughts

1. I think if I were Buffalo GM Russ Brandon, I wouldn't be thinking, "Eleven's too high to take Brandon Pettigrew.'' If I couldn't trade down four of five slots (and, as you can see by history above, the Bills don't trade much on draft day), I'd take the best all-around tight end to come out since -- well, since maybe Jeremy Shockey -- right there at number 11.

You forgot to mention the most important points made by King: (i) Philly got the "major edge" in the trade and (ii) it would be going "too far" to trade Parrish.

I think we are being set up with this tid bit of information from Peter King. The Bills are going to draft Pettigrew even though they know it will be unpopular with many fans.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...raft/index.html

Ralph floored him with a donation for Dr. Z's stroke recovery. Said Peters wasn't the best OT last year. Brandon shouldn't let the JP fiasco interfere with grabbing Pettigrew with pick #11.

I agree on all counts.

He also thinks the Bills would be stupid to trade Parrish for a 4 or 5.

The Bills and the Cardinals (two bad franchises despite the Cards' making the SB last year) are the only two teams that haven't traded down since 2005.

"6. I think, as I examine the Jason Peters deal -- first-, fourth- and sixth-round picks, with the first-rounder the 28th pick in Saturday's draft -- I think the Eagles got the major edge. "Other than Anthony Munoz, this is the most devastating blocker and pass-protector I've ever coached,'' said the retired and well-respected former NFL line coach Jim McNally, who mentored Peters from being a college tight end to one of the premier tackles in the game. "He's a terrific player and a good kid. What happened to him in Buffalo, I think, is he saw two linemen come in and make a lot of money [Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker], and he looked at them and said, 'I'm better than they are; why aren't I making that money?' And it really affected him. I think he'll be a dominating player in Philadelphia, and I don't think the money will affect him.'' We'll see."

You forgot to mention the most important points made by King: (i) Philly got the "major edge" in the trade and (ii) it would be going "too far" to trade Parrish.

I think we are being set up with this tid bit of information from Peter King. The Bills are going to draft Pettigrew even though they know it will be unpopular with many fans.

Busted. He references McNally's love for the guy but he's of the 'wait & see' camp. I also agree we'd be damn foolish to let Parrish walk for a late pick. The BUZZ he creates when we force a punt is electrifying! -of course, it could just be the fans surprize that we forced a punt.. :(

The more I think about it, the more I agree with him on Roscoe. We would be better off just straight up cutting someone (Felton Huggins, CJ Hawthorne, PK Sam, etc) when camp comes around.

I don't think it's those guys who are a concern. With the staff apparently as in love with Stevie Johnson as the fans, suddenly there's little space on the field after Evans, Owens, Reed, Hardy & Johnson. Where would you put Roscoe in the game plan? King talks about giving him the ball 4-5 times/game. That's a lot of touches for your No. 6 WR.

I don't think it's those guys who are a concern. With the staff apparently as in love with Stevie Johnson as the fans, suddenly there's little space on the field after Evans, Owens, Reed, Hardy & Johnson. Where would you put Roscoe in the game plan? King talks about giving him the ball 4-5 times/game. That's a lot of touches for your No. 6 WR.

I think he's talking about returns.

The Bills and the Cardinals (two bad franchises despite the Cards' making the SB last year) are the only two teams that haven't traded down since 2005.

That's an amazing statistic. Only two teams have not traded down at some point on draft day?

I sincerely hope they consider trading down this season, although they may not be able to with the demand for rookies to instantly become starters. If they were truly rebuilding, it'd be okay to drop down in the first. Now, I don't think they have that option needing LB, OL, TE, and DE help.

I think he's talking about returns.

Absolutely Right. I could care less how often he catches the ball. Seems like over the last few years, a large percentage of the time the Bills cross the 50- is when Roscoe has a great return.

Even with TO and offseason optimism aside, Bills O has been weak. Trading Roscoe probably not prudent at this point.

You still have McKelvin ...

I don't like the idea of having your most talented CB returning punts. I know Clements did it, and McGee has returned a lot of kicks. I will admit that one could argue for doing this, but losing Roscoe to injury on a return would be far less devastating than losing McKelvin. Guys do get injured on returns.

I'm also not convinced that McKelvin is the punt returner that Roscoe is. He has a great burst, but he doesn't have the shiftiness that Parrish has out of the gate. Sure, he scored a lot of TDs in college against crappy teams, but Parrish did it at both the U and for the Bills. I think the question is, why get rid of highly productive players for very little? It doesn't make sense to me. Now if the Bills were able to parlay a pick into, say, John Henderson, that'd be great. I doubt that'll happen, however, particularly after the Stroud trade made Jax look stupid.

Isn't every move unpopular with the fans these days?

I don't like the idea of having your most talented CB returning punts. I know Clements did it, and McGee has returned a lot of kicks. I will admit that one could argue for doing this, but losing Roscoe to injury on a return would be far less devastating than losing McKelvin. Guys do get injured on returns.

I'm also not convinced that McKelvin is the punt returner that Roscoe is. He has a great burst, but he doesn't have the shiftiness that Parrish has out of the gate. Sure, he scored a lot of TDs in college against crappy teams, but Parrish did it at both the U and for the Bills. I think the question is, why get rid of highly productive players for very little? It doesn't make sense to me. Now if the Bills were able to parlay a pick into, say, John Henderson, that'd be great. I doubt that'll happen, however, particularly after the Stroud trade made Jax look stupid.

That's really the unknown. But if we assume that the administration will make a priority of using the draft to restock the lines, then trading Roscoe is not as big a risk as it seems on paper. There is more talent at the WR position than in the trenches, and perhaps Wilson, Brandon & Co think it's too much a luxury, especially with the entire OL needing an overhaul.

From the link above;

Snyder, the Washington owner, has one pick in the top 75, the 13th overall. He was willing to trade that pick plus next year's first-round pick and something else to get Jay Cutler from Denver to replace Jason Campbell at quarterback. That failed, but I'm told Snyder is beyond smitten with Sanchez and will likely pursue him this week. How can he do that? He's going to have to part with either his next two first-round picks, or a slew of picks, including this year's one.

God, I hope Sanchez is still on the board when the Bills pick comes up. :flirt: Extremely unlikely but it could happen.

Factoid of the Week That May Interest Only Me

Virginia tackle Eugene Monroe has a 60-year-old brother. 0:)

Quote of the Week I

"Jason Peters is the best left tackle in football.''

-- Philadelphia coach Andy Reid, after dealing first, fourth- and sixth-round picks to Buffalo for the Pro Bowl tackle.

Not last year he wasn't.

:(:lol:

This week, Buffalo owner Ralph Wilson checked in with a donation that blew us away.

That can't be true because Ralph is sooooo cheap. :unsure:

I think if I were Buffalo GM Russ Brandon, I wouldn't be thinking, "Eleven's too high to take Brandon Pettigrew.'' If I couldn't trade down four of five slots (and, as you can see by history above, the Bills don't trade much on draft day), I'd take the best all-around tight end to come out since -- well, since maybe Jeremy Shockey -- right there at number 11.

Brandon seems to be more of a wheeler dealer than the recent GMs. I think you have a very good chance of seeing some trades with the Bills this weekend. JMO

I think, as I examine the Jason Peters deal -- first-, fourth- and sixth-round picks, with the first-rounder the 28th pick in Saturday's draft -- I think the Eagles got the major edge. "Other than Anthony Munoz, this is the most devastating blocker and pass-protector I've ever coached,'' said the retired and well-respected former NFL line coach Jim McNally, who mentored Peters from being a college tight end to one of the premier tackles in the game. "He's a terrific player and a good kid. What happened to him in Buffalo, I think, is he saw two linemen come in and make a lot of money [Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker], and he looked at them and said, 'I'm better than they are; why aren't I making that money?' And it really affected him. I think he'll be a dominating player in Philadelphia, and I don't think the money will affect him.'' We'll see.

:lol:

I think I'm all for maximizing my draft booty, but I think the Bills are going too far in trying to deal Roscoe Parrish. He's one of the most dangerous weapons in the game, and I'd rather have four or five Parrish touches per game -- and the threat that each carries with it. Parrish is worth far more than the fourth- or fifth-round pick he'd bring back to Buffalo.

I agree for a fourth or fifth round pick it wouldn't be worth it. If the Squealers want him then I'd want their second round pick which is essentially a third round pick.

Yeah, the Bills should take Pettigrew w/ the 11th pick in the draft. Protecting the QB's blindside or putting pressure on the opposing team's QBs be damned.

To be fair, the Bills would have eight more picks, including two more in the top 42. Plus, the DE crop is rather underwhelming, while the top OTs likely remaining have major question marks of their own. I'm not sure that I'd draft Pettigrew with that pick, but all things considered, I don't think its a bad pick, either.

Will they actually pick Pettigrew at 11? Probably. It fits their recent draft tendency of targeting a player with that first pick who will start immediately and that they know will be on the board with the pick.