Question about Offensive Linemen Versitility

Virgil

In recent talks about LB/DE hybrids as well as other people who would play different positions from College to the NFL, I was wondering what the logic is behind that in the NFL with Offensive Linemen.

My guess was that your heaviers guy started at center and got lighter on their way out to Tackle. The same things goes for speed. The Center is your slowest out to Tackle who is the fastest.

The reason I ask is, our Offensive Line is now, by far, our biggest question mark. Yes, we need a pass catching TE and Pass Rushing DE, I think most of us agree that the TE can be found in round 3. With that, the Guards in this draft are weak, and there is maybe 2 good Centers. Most people believe that Hartgarner is going to be our center. What's to prevent us from taking two Tackles out of our first three picks and shifting one of them to Guard?

Or am I just stupid?

I read about players such as Max Unger and his versitility, well give me the center who darn well CAN PLAY center, give me the guards who can play guard and so forth! I believe that sometimes this ends up as a jack of all trades and a master of none!! I want production, versitility is nice, but be able to play were your put along that line.

In recent talks about LB/DE hybrids as well as other people who would play different positions from College to the NFL, I was wondering what the logic is behind that in the NFL with Offensive Linemen.

My guess was that your heaviers guy started at center and got lighter on their way out to Tackle. The same things goes for speed. The Center is your slowest out to Tackle who is the fastest.

The reason I ask is, our Offensive Line is now, by far, our biggest question mark. Yes, we need a pass catching TE and Pass Rushing DE, I think most of us agree that the TE can be found in round 3. With that, the Guards in this draft are weak, and there is maybe 2 good Centers. Most people believe that Hartgarner is going to be our center. What's to prevent us from taking two Tackles out of our first three picks and shifting one of them to Guard?

Or am I just stupid?

Usually guards tend to be slightly smaller and quicker than tackles.

Yeah, you never see a 6'8", 330 lb. center, he couldn't get low enough and plays we he would pull would take a week. On the flip side, you can't have a 6'2" LT with T-Rex arms.

Not a stupid question at all though. And FWIW, I agree with the last poster - wtf is with your avatar??? :devil:

I did not read this post, I just could not get my head around that avatar. WTF?

Yeah, you never see a 6'8", 330 lb. center, he couldn't get low enough and plays we he would pull would take a week. On the flip side, you can't have a 6'2" LT with T-Rex arms.

Not a stupid question at all though. And FWIW, I agree with the last poster - wtf is with your avatar??? :devil:

Just a picture I found one day and thought it was hilarious. I have no idea who she is. I wish there was a way to show you the full size pic, cause it's awesome.

Just a picture I found one day and thought it was hilarious. I have no idea who she is. I wish there was a way to show you the full size pic, cause it's awesome.

Me too, cause i thought it was Richard Simmons

It partially depends on scheme. Some schemes call for stronger, larger players and others more mobile but smaller players which can shift and cut like Denver.

It appears the Bills tried to do a combo line before mixing heavier players with agile ones and never got them in sync.