Buff News coverage

jahbonas

Five things.

1) I have no problem with Wilson's article. It states a widely held opinion and he has every write to write that in a column.

2) Mark Gaughan is on vacation.

3) The Bills, like the Sabres, act like spoiled children because they don't like the negative press they wait till they are out of town to make any kind of comments.

4) It is no coincidence that teams wait till late Friday to announce any potentially negative or controversial pieces. They know they can usually by pass the beat writers, regular radio talk show host and sports directors this way.

5) The News web site provided many pieces on the trade.

One addition: Gaughan, Sullivan, and the D+C's Sal Maiorana are ALL on vacation this week, before the draft/minicamp grind begins. Dunno about Mark, but the other two are out of town.

So those of you complaining that Jerry didn't write -- curiously enough, most of the same ones who complain when he DOES write -- can hold off on heaving your brickbats for a couple more days.

One addition: Gaughan, Sullivan, and the D+C's Sal Maiorana are ALL on vacation this week, before the draft/minicamp grind begins. Dunno about Mark, but the other two are out of town.

So those of you complaining that Jerry didn't write -- curiously enough, most of the same ones who complain when he DOES write -- can hold off on heaving your brickbats for a couple more days.

I expect JS might deliver a pretty good one in this story. But my longstanding criticism of him still stands -- unlike the better opinion columnists, he doesn't go the extra mile and investigate. Heck, even Felser still calls up Ralph and his people for insight before writing his occasional piece.

Allen Wilson is only writing for the News because of EOE, nothing else. It's pretty easy to see that based on reading any of his articles. Very little research, concept or overall knowledge of what he writes about. The Snews is best used for lining the bottom of the bird cage.

It is not the budget cuts - it is the quality of the writers they employ. Almost all of the best writers move on to other places but the remainder continue writing with their work 'syndicated' by AP and other press trying to get 'local' coverage.

g:

these two sentences are so wrong on so many levels of conceivable logic that i don't even know where to begin to dispute them.

jw

They had a blog this friday and & I asked a question if they combined all the Buffalo reporters IQ could they break 100? They answered 101 max, which is oh so true.

if train skoob left the station at 2 p.m. heading west at 60 miles an hour, and train reality left the same station at 4 p.m. that same day traveling at the exact same speed, when would the two finally meet if each train had unlimited fuel and the tracks just so happened to circle the world? never. this much i know.

jw

edit: adds buffalo reporter.

g:

these two sentences are so wrong on so many levels of conceivable logic that i don't even know where to begin to dispute them.

jw

Most of what G.Host posts are pretty much wrong. He just gets a pass around here because he's an old-timer.

Get used to it :(

Amen

Noteworth in this article among other things is how openly and frankly these men spoke.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43260222.html

Quoted by name was a general manager (AJ Smith), a scouting coordinator (Blake Beddingfield), another scout (Charles Fisher), a director of player personnel (Trent Baalke), and another general manager (Jerry Angelo).

It is very rare, especially at this time of the year for evaluators to go on the record with questions and/or criticisms of players that they may end up drafting or at least, having to play against. Huge coup for the writer, Bob McGinn.

Too bad they can get stuff like this in Milwaukee but we can't get stuff like this from the Buffalo News.

Noteworth in this article among other things is how openly and frankly these men spoke.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43260222.html

Quoted by name was a general manager (AJ Smith), a scouting coordinator (Blake Beddingfield), another scout (Charles Fisher), a director of player personnel (Trent Baalke), and another general manager (Jerry Angelo).

It is very rare, especially at this time of the year for evaluators to go on the record with questions and/or criticisms of players that they may end up drafting or at least, having to play against. Huge coup for the writer, Bob McGinn.

Too bad they can get stuff like this in Milwaukee but we can't get stuff like this from the Buffalo News.

To which the natural response is...

To which the natural response is...

I knew before my previous post that someone would rebut with this.

The fact remains that decision makers are very tight lipped this time of year.

Half of what you hear this time of the year is true and the other half isn't. But a smokescreen is usually a team talking up a player they have no intention of drafting. They have little or nothing to gain by publicly criticizing a player or players at a position.

Finally, things can be said off the record which accomplish the same purpose, manipulating the draft sequence. For instance, the B.J. Raji drug rumours. Some observers believe that the Packers, Broncos or some other team leaked false information to damage Raji's draft stock so he would slide down to them in the draft.

I don't buy the argument that these men are criticizing players publicly as a smokescreen.

Moreover my point remains the same. This is the sort of article which contributes to the high sports I.Q. found in cities such as Green Bay and Pittsburgh and is the sort of sports writing which is sadly lacking in Buffalo.

Moreover my point remains the same. This is the sort of article which contributes to the high sports I.Q. found in cities such as Green Bay and Pittsburgh and is the sort of sports writing which is sadly lacking in Buffalo.

No quibble with that...

It is not the budget cuts - it is the quality of the writers they employ. Almost all of the best writers move on to other places but the remainder continue writing with their work 'syndicated' by AP and other press trying to get 'local' coverage.

Then how do you explain a journalists from Mesa, AZ and Glens Falls winning Pulitzers?