I don't think we should take an OT at 11

If we want to emulate the most successful teams over the past decade, we should be thinking defensive front 7 with the first pick we have in the draft. Elite defensive talent just isn't likely to be available later in the draft - especially difference making lineman and freak linebackers (you can get pluggers later).

We have drafted none of our front 7 in the first round - our only 1st rounder is Stroud, who we traded for.

This doesn't mean we don't draft O-Line. The best teams use low first round picks and 2nd and 3rd rounders as the foundation of their O-line - as well as steals later in the draft.

The Patriots are the most obvious example:

Defensive front 7:

Seymour - 1st Round, 6th pick overall

Warren - 1st Round, 13th pick overall

Wilfork - 1st Round, 21st pick overall

Mayo - 1st Round, 10th pick overall

Offensive Line:

Mankins - 1st Round, 32nd overall

Kaczur - 3rd Rounder

Light - 2nd Rounder

Koppen - 5th Rounder

I don't have all day to go through them all but:

Pittsburgh - No first round offensive lineman, Three 1st round defensive front seven

Colts - No first round offensive lineman, One 1st round defensive front seven (though their defense hasn't been anything special during their run of success with Manning)

Giants - No first round offensive lineman. One 1st round defensive front seven (hit gold with Tuck and Umenyiora outside first round, a rare feat)

These 4 teams make up 7 of the last 8 superbowl champions, plus 2 additional appearances in the past 9.

The point is you don't need to draft an elite tackle high in the first round to have a very good NFL offensive line, but you do need to draft them in the first few rounds. The same is not as easily said on the other side of the ball.

That's a good post, but . . .

If you're going to take an offensive lineman early in the draft, left tackle would be the place to do it! The Dolphins took a LT first overall this past draft; which is an important reason why they went from a one win season to a playoff appearance. The St. Louis Rams took a left tackle first overall, and Orlando Pace proved vital to their Super Bowl appearances (including one ring). Jonathan Ogden of the Ravens was, IIRC, taken very early in the draft, and played an important role in the Ravens' success in 2000.

I agree with you that a team should not hesitate to build its offensive line using picks from the lower first round through the third or fourth round. There's nothing wrong with that. But a very good LT is well worth an early first round pick.

That's a good post, but . . .

If you're going to take an offensive lineman early in the draft, left tackle would be the place to do it! The Dolphins took a LT first overall this past draft; which is an important reason why they went from a one win season to a playoff appearance. The St. Louis Rams took a left tackle first overall, and Orlando Pace proved vital to their Super Bowl appearances (including one ring). Jonathan Ogden of the Ravens was, IIRC, taken very early in the draft, and played an important role in the Ravens' success in 2000.

I agree with you that a team should not hesitate to build its offensive line using picks from the lower first round through the third or fourth round. There's nothing wrong with that. But a very good LT is well worth an early first round pick.

fair points, but at 11 we're already looking at the 3rd or 4th best tackle in the draft and our defensive front seven is in clear need of more elite talent. Also the Ravens defense had a lot more to do with their success than their offense did.

fair points, but at 11 we're already looking at the 3rd or 4th best tackle in the draft and our defensive front seven is in clear need of more elite talent. Also the Ravens defense had a lot more to do with their success than their offense did.

If we decide to address either the OL or DL with our first pick, #11 is probably not a good place to be. As you point out, the best OT talent is likely to be gone. And you could say the same about the best DL talent (such as Raji).

People have talked about the possibility of trading away the 28th overall pick to move up to the third or fourth overall slot in the draft. That might be overdoing it a little. But what about using our second round pick to make a smaller move up?

I'd like our first pick in the draft to be a lineman, whether an OT or a DL. And I'd like to see the Bills trade into a draft slot where a lineman of some sort is the best player available.

If the Bills go DL with their first pick, they could always use the 28th pick on an OT. Conversely, if the Bills go OT with their first pick, that 28th pick could be used either on an interior offensive lineman, a TE, or--possibly--a DL.

I think what this proves with people arguing both ways in this discussion is that there is no proven strategies on how to build a proper team in the draft. You can find players anywhere in the draft, the key is you need to find the right guys, have the right coaches to help them improve, and a whole lot of luck that you got a winner.

We have a our LT already, let's get pressure on the opposing QB.

But is the LT we currently have good enough that can forgo taking a quality LT that might be available with our pick? While I agree we need help with our pass rush let's not forget that we lost most of Aaron Schobel last year and say what you want but the guy is our best pass rusher and it's doubtful any of the rookies at #11 be better then him. As he is a Pro Bowl type player despite how much people here rag on him. Just like Peters was a Pro Bowl talent, the only difference we know for sure Peters won't be back in 2009 where Schobel likely will.

I will agree it's not wise to reach to take a LT at pick #11 yet it might just be the guy at pick #11 might actually also fit our need for LT. Specifically I'm referring to Michael Oher. As by most mock draft sites he's ranks about the 11th best player in the draft so be in favor of taking him as again it's not a reach and fits a need. As much as the idea of Langston Walker at LT and whomever at RT seems like a better plan if we do this then that will mean we're going to have four new starters on our O-line by comparison we'd only have three if able to land a quality LT prospect that allow us to keep Walker at RT. Not to mention it wouldn't cause us to reach for other players that been linked to us at #11 like Maybin, Pettigrew etc that while good players have ranked lower in most mocks. The only reason I could passing on Oher is taking a guy like Max Unger at pick #28 as he could play OC and some also predict him at OT and possibility giving the "flexibility" they want.

If we want to emulate the most successful teams over the past decade, we should be thinking defensive front 7 with the first pick we have in the draft.....

No argument here. Although I would prefer the Bills to draft OT at #11, and the DE or pass rushing hybrid DE/LB at #28, I agree the Bills have gone way too many years getting lousy value for their OL and DL on day one!

Before the Peters trade, I wanted the Bills to reach for the best center in the entire draft at #11. Now, of course, they need to draft the best OT, in my opinion, using the #11, but absolutely using the #28 on OT, if they think the best DE hybrid is staring them in the face at 11.

Examples?

Actually, I think many teams don't shy away from picking a franchise LT in the draft when one is presented to them. For a bad team picking in the top of the draft, taking a guy that can anchor your line for a decade isn't a bad way to go, really. It's not the only way to go, but even the Patriots have spent picks in the top 50 of the draft on OL. And, they have shown they can develop their own. The Bills, not so much.