Peters reaches terms

Well that's a lot of money for a guy who is willing to hold out on his team until the start of the season while under contract for 3 more years despite the fact that that team developed him into the player he became (for one year).

Not to justify what he did, but look at it from his perspective: if he hadn't held out, he'd be roughly $21.5 million poorer than he is today.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate to say this, but if the Bills have a very poor season this year, then they will be picking in the top five in the draft next year and will sign that pick to a contract similar in dollars to the one agreed to by Peters.

So if its true the Bills were offering nearly 10 Million, is it safe to say Peters did not want to play for Buffalo anymore?

I would agree with this. I would have to believe that if the Bills were offering 9 mil + a year and Peters would settle for 10 from them that they would have worked it out. Or maybe Buffalo was unwilling to committ that much guaranteed money. I can only hope Kugler knows his stuff as a coach cause he's got huge problems on his hands. What good is TO if TE is on his a$$ the whole time?

Given the tenuous position of this head coach, Ralph's age, and if this team flops this year you're looking at regime change and blowing the whole thing up again, I have to believe the Bills would have caved to 10 mil a year but Peters wanted a good bit more and refused to budge in his demands.

I definitely think this goes back to last winter and Peters/Parker were demanding top dollar from the FO and got told to F' off so nobody talked to each other and JP held out, etc.

It's just depressing, I think JP has a good year this year to prove himself justified in his actions but after that I hope he gets fatter and lazy again. Now we need a miraculous OL draft pick from a FO that doesn't excel in this area.

One other thing, if the OL and team sucks but Rogers signs on for another game in Toronto that would spell out the future of the Bills IMO.

Not to justify what he did, but look at it from his perspective: if he hadn't held out, he'd be roughly $21.5 million poorer than he is today.

Interesting.

Who are the real winners here:

Peters is $21.5 million richer.

Andy Reid says that he now has the best left tackle in the game (and still held on to his 21st pick).

The Bills are so proud of the trade they are practically speechless about the trade (except for Chris Brown's citation to Fox and ESPN). The question now is whether the Bills can convert a late first round pick, a fourth round pick, and a late round conditional pick to anything approximating what Andy Reid says is the best left tackle in the game. Yeah, yeah, I know Peters haters on this board know more than Andy Reid.

Interesting.

Who are the real winners here:

Peters is $21.5 million richer.

Andy Reid says that he now has the best left tackle in the game (and still held on to his 21st pick).

The Bills are so proud of the trade they are practically speechless about the trade (except for Chris Brown's citation to Fox and ESPN). The question now is whether the Bills can convert a late first round pick, a fourth round pick, and a late round conditional pick to anything approximating what Andy Reid says is the best left tackle in the game. Yeah, yeah, I know Peters haters on this board know more than Andy Reid.

I know I'm not the first guy to say this, but, I think the Bills had no choice but to move him. They didn't want to cave in to his demands - they reward guys that come to camp, OTAs, etc, and work their butt off. Peters wanted to be #1 (or #2) in the league... pure and simple. It's pretty amazing they got a 1st rounder plus. Honestly, when Peters wasn't in the line-up last year, did the Bills play better, worse, or the same? That's the big question. I tend to think the same, if not better.

Both sides should be happy.

Guest dog14787

By upgrading our short and intermediate range weapons, especially if we can pick up a good TE (Pettigrew I hope) , less pressure will be placed on our younger, less talented O-line. Trent Edwards has a quick release and is perfectly willing to take what you give him much like Joe Montana used to be with the 49ers.

The Holy Trent will Prevail :worthy:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-89/...-in-Philly.html

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters and the Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to terms on a new contract that will give him $53 million in new money over an additional four years, ESPN's John Clayton and Len Pasquarelli report.

That makes Peters the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, surpassing the deal the Miami Dolphins awarded No. 1 draft choice Jake Long one year ago.

Let that thought sink in for a while ... and then realize that he was never, ever going to get that deal in Buffalo. The days of giving Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith or Ted Washington the "highest-paid" title are long gone.

One could also say that if he hadn't held out he would have gotten paid a lot more than he did last year, but I'm sure Jason wholeheartedly agrees with your statement.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-89/...-in-Philly.html

Let that thought sink in for a while ... and then realize that he was never, ever going to get that deal in Buffalo. The days of giving Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith or Ted Washington the "highest-paid" title are long gone.

So we should hope that the players we draft with the picks we got for Peters are good, but not too good.

I don't even know what I'm rooting for anymore.

I know, right?

It sucks that the season starts tomorrow.

I forgot that experienced OL veterans who can be counted on are still available in UFA. What was I thinking?

There isn't anyone Buffalo's getting to come in tomorrow, next week, next month, or anytime before opening day who'll play solid football and not let Trent become a rag doll. No one.

There's two ways to get solid football players:

1. Free agency

2. The draft

Both events take place between March and April. After that, the waiver wire is your only hope. That, and other team's refuse after training camp. Good luck Russ trying to build a winner with a foundation worse that a hut that Obama's brother lives in.

6 years 60 million is a lot of money. But not for a motivated lock down LT. Now the Sixty Million Dollar question is, which Peters will the Eagles get? And for how long?

I think the Eagles will probably get 2 pretty good years out of him. He'll perform well for a couple of years until he gets lazy/disgruntled/injured and lays down. For the Eagles,who are close,that may be good enough. I'd rather have the picks if I'm Buffalo.

So we should hope that the players we draft with the picks we got for Peters are good, but not too good.

I don't even know what I'm rooting for anymore.

:worthy: I feel the same way. I think there's still a whole lot of shuffling to be done. What the final roster will look like is anybody's guess.

Not necessarily if he is arrested that guarenteed money can be withheld.

You also need to subtract whatever bonuses he would have earned last year had he not held out as well as the money he was penalized for missing mandatory camp and practices.

Of course in a few years when there is no salary cap and some players are payed like baseball/basketball players by high revenue teams he will hold out again all preseason before missing end of season.

Not necessarily if he is arrested that guarenteed money can be withheld.

Or he could die, or be partially eaten by zombies. Considering Peters hasn't had off the field issues, that's a hell of a point, Glenn.

BTW, I don't agree with Dave. I don't think the holdout gained Peters a dime. In fact, it may have cost him some money, in the long run.

6 years 60 million is a lot of money. But not for a motivated lock down LT. Now the Sixty Million Dollar question is, which Peters will the Eagles get? And for how long?

I'm sure he'll have 60 million reasons to be happy to play a game that 99% of people play for free. I'm kind of pissed because I will now have to watch him every sunday, the eagles are my area's "Home team" and on tv. i have a sick feeling he will be a beast for years to come. Philly to me is in the likes of Pittsburgh and NE in scouting out talent. The fact they wanted him kind of scares me. Philly wants to win ball games, Buffalo wants to maximize profit. Hence their playoff appearances in the last decade.

I didn't want to admit it to myself, but if I am understanding this correctly, I don't believe he wanted to be a Bill any longer.

$53 Million on the additional 4 years? Does that mean he will still make $7 million in these next 2 years? Is that correct? If that is so, then it that still only averages approximately $10 Million a year, which tells me that he didn't want to be here.

Can someone clarify if I am interpreting this correctly?

Not likely. As we all know, the contemporary zombie seeks out and feeds on live brains.

:D

That's why he would only be partially eaten. He might survive the attack, for the very reason you cite.

I didn't want to admit it to myself, but if I am understanding this correctly, I don't believe he wanted to be a Bill any longer.

$53 Million on the additional 4 years? Does that mean he will still make $7 million in these next 2 years? Is that correct? If that is so, then it that still only averages approximately $10 Million a year, which tells me that he didn't want to be here.

Can someone clarify if I am interpreting this correctly?

The way I read that, he's making $53 million above what he would have received from his current contract. I have to assume there's a nice signing bonus involved and the new deal is front-loaded, so no, I doubt he'll still be working for $3.5 million this year, or whatever he was slated to get.