Dominic Rhodes signed for 2 years

I'd be happy if we could score touchdowns from the one once in a while. Every time I see the Bills at the opponent's one yard line, I'm wondering how we're not going to get into the end zone this time.

While I don't think the problem is an RB issue...it might play a part. It is certainly possible that Rhodes helps in short yardage, and goal line situations. If so, he's a great pickup. Personally, I think Lynch is a fine short yardage back, when the coaches don't call a totally obvious play, and the line gets any push.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I checked the Colts' website's message board, and the vast majority think it was a mistake to let Rhodes go, with some saying Addai should have been gone instead.

That's encouraging to me. What the fans say when a player leaves is a good indicator. These are the guys watching every snap. They see beyond the stats. I know it's easy to dismiss message board stuff, but when it represents a consensus opinion, I think it's sound. I feel good about Rhodes. I feel good about Hangartner too, for the same reasons. I suspect the Eagles feel pretty good about getting Greer too.

I'd be happy if we could score touchdowns from the one once in a while. Every time I see the Bills at the opponent's one yard line, I'm wondering how we're not going to get into the end zone this time.

I hear that. When the Bills got inside the 5 against the 49ers last November, I cracked, "Hey, at least we're in field goal range." And then, of course, Lindell shtoinked the 20-yarder off the upright ... :D

That's encouraging to me. What the fans say when a player leaves is a good indicator. These are the guys watching every snap. They see beyond the stats. I know it's easy to dismiss message board stuff, but when it represents a consensus opinion, I think it's sound. I feel good about Rhodes. I feel good about Hangartner too, for the same reasons. I suspect the Eagles feel pretty good about getting Greer too.

Not sure about that, gringo. Seems like we turn everyone who dares to leave Buffalo into a pinata.

BTW -- Greer? You mean Jabari, right? If so, Saints, not Eagles.

I hear that. When the Bills got inside the 5 against the 49ers last November, I cracked, "Hey, at least we're in field goal range." And then, of course, Lindell shtoinked the 20-yarder off the upright ... :D

Not sure about that, gringo. Seems like we turn everyone who dares to leave Buffalo into a pinata.

BTW -- Greer? You mean Jabari, right? If so, Saints, not Eagles.

d'oh! Sorry, I got Peters on the brain. Anyway, I don't think we gave Greer the pinata treatment. I thought the majority opinion around here is that he's a quality guy, just a victim of economics. No?

But, when it comes to individual players, is the guy who scores TDs (because his team gives him the ball at the 1 or 2), but averages 3.5 yards a carry more valuable than the guy who averages 4.5 and gets them all the way down the field and has speed, etc? Dave's right on this one, for RBs TDs can be deceptive. Another back may be just as capable to get into the End Zone from one, but not to replace the back that gains big chunks of yards. It isn't a cut and dry analysis.

Of course, judging a player on a single stat is usually not a very good methodology. And there is no reason to think he departure cost the Colts 9TDs and brings them to the Bills.

BTW, I think we all agree that this is an OK signing, for the Bills, considering how they are likely to use him.

My opinion: Nothing to be pissed about, but nothing to get too excited about either. Fills the bill (and fits the Bills).

Wait Deano, you're judging Rhodes on a single stat when you mention his 3.5 YPC average, are you not? And that's what Addai averaged last year as well, whereas the 2 years prior, he was averaging 4.4 YPC. Similarly, Rhodes had a 4.1 YPC career average before last year.

And beyond his TD's, I mentioned his 45 receptions and pass blocking. And maybe he is a goalline TD scorer. Great. I hope the Bills get down there and let him do his thing. :D

Wait Deano, you're judging Rhodes on a single stat when you mention his 3.5 YPC average, are you not? And that's what Addai averaged last year as well, whereas the 2 years prior, he was averaging 4.4 YPC. Similarly, Rhodes had a 4.1 YPC career average before last year.

And beyond his TD's, I mentioned his 45 receptions and pass blocking. And maybe he is a goalline TD scorer. Great. I hope the Bills get down there and let him do his thing. :D

No, as I am not judging him totally on that stat, or I would think it was a terrible signing. I think he can add some value to the team, and I, generally, like the signing.

d'oh! Sorry, I got Peters on the brain. Anyway, I don't think we gave Greer the pinata treatment. I thought the majority opinion around here is that he's a quality guy, just a victim of economics. No?

True. I retract the "everybody." Just most of them ...

Ahhhhhh..... I knew the Bills had a plan..... :D

Quick, now we can trade Fred Jackson, that malcontent, for a 6th rounder....don't settle for anything less...

We don't deserve Jackson. He is too good for us. Jackson,Peters,Greer,Crowell.....4 of our top ten down....six to go.

We turned Leonhard, Crowell, Greer, Bannan into all pros after they left.

But (with the exception of Greer) not while they were still on the way out the door. To read some accounts, Bannan was a bum who sucked in equal measures on the DL and OL (remember that experiment?), Leonhard was a good guy but nothing better than a backup, and Crowell hosed the team by waiting until the beginning of the regular season to have his knee surgery.

Of course, there were also people who defended those players ...

Maybe this has already been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I did not read the entire thing. My take on bringing in Rhodes is that it is an excellent move. Rhodes is a solid NFL player who has played for one of the best teams in the league for most of his NFL career. He comes from a winning organization. We NEED as many winners as possible on this team. The more good veterans we have who KNOW what it takes to win in this league, the better this team will be. The talent level on the Bills has not been good enough for so many years. This just increases our talent level. At this point in their careers, I would put Rhodes at least two notches above a beaten up Fred Taylor.

Or maybe the trade Marshawn, and give Jackson a little more money? This team is so unpredictable, you never know...

Freddy Jackson will be a Buffalo Bill longer than Marshawn Lynch will.

I would wager on it. Marshawn is one little incident away from being in bigtime trouble. I love his attitude on the field, but he is not taking the off the field situation seriously. Plus he is going to lose the tread on his tire in little time the way he runs, if he manages to stay on the field.

Two years makes sense. The Bills plan to let Freddie walk next year.

How do you know that? I'd be dollars to donuts that Jackson gets a multi-year deal from Buffalo before the start of TC.

His plan was to sign a very good backup rb to piss people off? Interesting take.

It isn't TBD unless the negative nellies are screaming and moaning!! Ahhhhhh! The Bills made a good signing!! Ahhhhhh! Ralph sucks, he's cheap he only cares about lowering the value of the team!! He's going to move them to Toronto!!! :D

Good move.

The Rhodes contract likely has much less guaranteed $ than Fred Jackson wanted.

The Bills have a guy capable of starting 3 games.

Now, Jackson has a choice - sit out and hope for a trade or play for the league minimum.

BTW, since when is a person's rap sheet predict thier character.

I know many high charicter people with checkered pasts.

I also know a lot of scumbags who I wouldn't even want on my co-ed vollyball team.

Character is about what someone is going to do when things get tough. A high character guy is someone you want by your side when things go bad. If that guy is willing to stand up and fight with you, who cares if he has a DUI.

The DUI doesn't exhibit bad character as much as severe stupidity. A lot of people on this board have driven drunk before. What I have a very hard time dismissing is the domestic violence thing. This is a big reason why I didn't want Buffalo to draft Hardy last year.

Nothing personal against you cody, but this is the kind of crap that drives me insane around here. There are those here, who go out of their way to crap on everything the Bills do (and I will admit, I may be turning in to one of them), but for me, it is just as annoying to see Bills fans patting the Bills front office on the back, for how wisely they spent their (Mr Wilsons') money. It is like, to be a Bills fan, now, you can't expect your team to win on the field, but we have a new game, where the object is to see how little money the Bills can spend, while trying (not doing) to field a competitve NFL football team. This team has done ZERO in a decade! Being penny wise, and pound foolish, has gotten them nowhere...do you like Fred Jackson? If your answer is yes, why should you, or I, or anyone else care how much money the Bills pay him?

It's not Mr. Wilson's money. It's the players money. They get a certain amount of league revenues that caps the teams total spending on all their players. Then players contracts have to be managed under that cap. So overpaying for three or four guys can strap what a team needs for a long time. So we are not applauding Ralph's so called "cheapness" we are applauding the intelligent use of cap dollars.

Jason Peters got $60 million for six years. His attitude and declining play aren't worth it anymore to Buffalo. That money makes it possible for Buffalo to sign more guys that can provide help to the team. I would have loved to see Peters stay but for the %age of cap dollars he wanted he just wasn't worth it.

Highly doubtful now. It's a 2-year deal that gets them through this year (EFA year for Freddy) and next year (RFA).

I think Freddie will see a raise and a multi-year deal before TC opens.

And I should be banging Heidi Klum, not Seal. :wallbash:

Never, ever, ever let your wife see this thread. :wallbash:

[/u]

I called it earlier today--watch them sign Keiaho next and, if they do, we'll be pretty well set going into the draft, needing a LT, G, DE and TE. We should be able to get a quality LT and DE in Rd. 1 and then take a flyer on a G in Rd 2 and trade our 3rd for Scheffler and I'd say we've had a decent offseason.....

Shhhhhhhhh! Sanity isn't appreciated on this board.

I'd be curious to know how many of those rushing TDs were one-yard plunges. I know they were all under 20 ...

Checking my FFL site: 1, 3, 1, 17, 1, 1. So, most, but not all.

I think it shows he's used a lot on short yardage plays at the goal line or outside the red zone.

But, when it comes to individual players, is the guy who scores TDs (because his team gives him the ball at the 1 or 2), but averages 3.5 yards a carry more valuable than the guy who averages 4.5 and gets them all the way down the field and has speed, etc? Dave's right on this one, for RBs TDs can be deceptive. Another back may be just as capable to get into the End Zone from one, but not to replace the back that gains big chunks of yards. It isn't a cut and dry analysis.

Of course, judging a player on a single stat is usually not a very good methodology. And there is no reason to think he departure cost the Colts 9TDs and brings them to the Bills.

BTW, I think we all agree that this is an OK signing, for the Bills, considering how they are likely to use him.

My opinion: Nothing to be pissed about, but nothing to get too excited about either. Fills the bill (and fits the Bills).

I think it's possible that his 3.5 ypc are due to his being utilized a lot on short yardage situations because they know he'll get those yards. If he is frequently used on carries where the opponent has stacked the line to stop a third and one or two or a fourth down one or two then his ypc are going to show a lot less for a very valuable player. The guys who are given the ball on plays that can be run or pass will have the better stats. I'm not saying for sure that Rhodes could pull 4.0 yards per carry if used like a starter but that his running style lends itself to shorter runs. JMO

We don't deserve Jackson. He is too good for us. Jackson,Peters,Greer,Crowell.....4 of our top ten down....six to go.

Jackson's gone? :worthy:

Peters could be a good trade or a very bad one. In three years we'll know. Greer wasn't going to be a starter here and wanted to go someplace he would start. Crowell dug his own grave by pissing off the FO at the wrong time. Buffalo actually did him a favor by allowing him to get the more complete surgery because he could take all season to heal.

because it plays a part in how much cap room is available. It really isn't that difficult to understand. Do you think that we are hoping that Ralph is saving the money and collecting interest on it? Come on

Btw, this is a good pickup, gives us quality depth, specially for the first few games, and it will send a message to Marshawn that we do have alternate plans, just in case.

Good move :wallbash:

Wow...salary cap? I didn't know there was one. Thanks for the enlightenment... :D

My point was, other teams manage to keep together a roster of players, and don't lose guys who deserve a raise (Jackson)over haggling, while overpaying other guys, for no good reason. We are all happy to hear that Kelsay is on the block, we were delighted when Dockery was cut...now they are trying to trade Roscoe Parrish, who they re-nogtiated, and is making too much money..what a condmnation of how foolishly this team manages their cap... there is no real reason this franchise can't make money, and field a winning squad, at least every now and again... for years the Bills have operated well under the salary cap... sorry, it just feels like this an rudderless ship...they don't seem to have any real plan... it all seems to come down to money...

BTW- I am not upset about the Rhodes signing. It may be a good move, or it may turn out to be insignificant. The Bills are no longer a team that subscribes to the idea of "just sign your own", but is now a build through the draft team, who relies on 3rd tier FA's to fill in the gaps... I just wish their draft track record was better... given the way they have drafted when having two first round picks, I can't say that it excites me to know we now have to first round picks...

I dont see the problem here....this is a good signing.

Some of the mouth-breathers around here won't be happy unless the Bills somehow sign a RB coming off a pro-bowl and SB as our 3rd stringer. Oh, and for the vet minimum. the idiots around here really get on my nerves sometimes.