Matthews & Cushing

This might take Matthews, if not both, off of our board. per rotoworld:

USC OLB Clay Matthews reportedly created a Facebook group during his junior season called "White Nation," which showed a photo of an African American baby in handcuffs.

Under the picture was a caption saying "arrest black babies before they become criminals." It also said "This group is not for the faint of heart. All members are athletes of Caucasion descent. We are just doing our duty of protecting the Arian brotherhood." Brian Cushing, K David Buehler, and former Redskins draft pick Dallas Sartz joined the group. The athletic dept. billed the group as a joke. Matthews later issued a formal apology.

USC OLB Clay Matthews reportedly created a Facebook group during his junior season called "White Nation," which showed a photo of an African American baby in handcuffs.

Under the picture was a caption saying "arrest black babies before they become criminals." It also said "This group is not for the faint of heart. All members are athletes of Caucasion descent. We are just doing our duty of protecting the Arian brotherhood." Brian Cushing, K David Buehler, and former Redskins draft pick Dallas Sartz joined the group. The athletic dept. billed the group as a joke. Matthews later issued a formal apology.

if this is found to be true, they just cost themselves a bunch of money. i dont see too many teams using a day one pick on a player that was found to have joined a racist group. joke or not, this is unacceptable, especially the part with the photo of an african american baby in handcuffs. i am not saying i believe this rumor to be true, but if it is, it is very disturbing.

Did you know that the "club" was a joke started by the black players on the team? They used to call Matthews and Cushing the "White Nation" and would call them that constantly. The guys just played off of it, no offense was taken on any side.

It won't take any of those guys off our board.

The "White Nation" title came from the name that the African-American USC players gave to the linebacker trio of Cushing, Matthews, and Sartz, since they're all white.

The facebook group was started by the LBs, and the quotes were quips aimed at their black USC teammates, who reportedly stood up for Matthews and Cushing when they were quesitoned about it. Specifically, Keith Rivers (a black LB) said that none of the black Trojan players took offense to the comments, which were very clearly a joke resulting from the nickname that the black players gave to the white LBs.

There's nothing to this except for some hyper-sensitive facebook people.

The "White Nation" title came from the name that the African-American USC players gave to the linebacker trio of Cushing, Matthews, and Sartz, since they're all white.

The facebook group was started by the LBs, and the quotes were quips aimed at their black USC teammates, who reportedly stood up for Matthews and Cushing when they were quesitoned about it. Specifically, Keith Rivers (a black LB) said that none of the black Trojan players took offense to the comments, which were very clearly a joke resulting from the nickname that the black players gave to the white LBs.

oh, if that's the case then no biggie

oh, if that's the case then no biggie

yeah I agree. I mean, I suppose it's poor taste to post that kind of stuff where others that may or may not understand the joke can see it, but I think it's just a case of young teammates goofing around together.

No, it's still a factor as it shows both of them to be freaking morons.

This happened last year, by which time they both knew they were NFL prospects. It's bad judgement, IMO, and should still be seen as a potential character issue.

Getting along great with teammates is now a character issue? It is a lockeroom joke that a bunch of jock sniffers jumped all over.

This happened last year, by which time they both knew they were NFL prospects. It's bad judgement, IMO, and should still be seen as a potential character issue.

ugh just stop. the black guys on the team were "in" on the joke - it's an absolute non-issue.

I think they will be down graded a little bit not because they are racist but because they are not the brightest bulbs on the tree.

Looks like some here enjoyed a nice picnic lunch of paint chips washed down with mercury under the scenic vistas of some high tension wires.

I just had the conversation with my friend last night, we don't need to be drafting any white guys. We have enough slow white guys already. As a white male, I can honestly say I'd rather have our new pass rusher be black, 'cause let's face it, the black dudes are better 95% of the time.

Thanks for the good info, you cleared that up very well

I just had the conversation with my friend last night, we don't need to be drafting any white guys. We have enough slow white guys already. As a white male, I can honestly say I'd rather have our new pass rusher be black, 'cause let's face it, the black dudes are better 95% of the time.

Thank you Jimmy the Greek.