Robert Ayers

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted from before...relevant because it's a hot topic again.

I didn't watch the game. I saw the YouTube "Ayers vs. Alabama" video. It's 3 minutes and 36 seconds and it shows a total of 15 plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccuoGx3A6t4

I audited the plays:

1) Pass play, lightning-quick inside pass rush past statuesque guard. Ayers whacks the quarterback (you can hear the hit) who dumps off for a short completion.

2) Slomo replay of above.

3) Same, different angle.

4) Run play, unblocked, crashed down the line, buries ball carrier unassisted for one yard loss.

5) Run play, Ayers beats Andre Smith (345 lbs) off the snap pushes him back one yard to set the edge, ball carrier runs inside and is tripped up by pursuit.

6) Run play, Ayers lines up wide, surges inside, meets and plays off the tight end, stops ball carrier for no gain.

7) Pass play, Ayers lines up uncovered blows through the running back block (like a fly on the windshield, you can hear this too), pressures an incompletion.

8) Pass play, lines up at tackle, blows past guard, QB throws ball away to avoid sack.

9) Run play, takes inside angle, spins off guard block and gang tackles ball carrier (5 yard gain).

10) Run play, lines up wide, delayed rush, blows up tight end to set the edge, ball carrier cuts inside and is stopped by pursuit (2 yard gain).

11) Pass play on 1st down, lines up against Andre Smith, blows past him, QB checks down and completes pass under pressure.

12) Run play, destroys tight end and piles on ball carrier, 1 yard loss.

13) Run play, dances around Andre Smith (no contact) and takes inside angle, ball carrier bounces outside for 10 yard gain.

14) Run play to opposite side, no involvement.

15) Run play at Ayers, drives Andre Smith backwards to set the edge, redirects towards sideline in attempt to catch ball carrier who has a full head of steam, ball carrier turns corner on Ayers pursuit for 1st down.

16) Run play, lines up wide, destroys tight end and blows up ball carrier for 2 yard loss.

17) Run play, drives Andre Smith backwards 3 yards to set edge, ball carrier cuts inside, no inside-out pursuit by defense, ball carrier lunges into end zone.

Fifteen plays. At times it looks like he has little help. On 11 run plays he could possibly be faulted on two plays (13 and 15) for being overly-aggressive in his assignments. That would be quibbling. One play was away from him. On the other 8 run plays he was excellent.

On four pass plays he had 4 pressures.

It's a small sample size but he was generally dominating in those 15 plays. Here's 6 minutes and 18 seconds more of Ayers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAR9Qb3liRs

I didn't watch the game. I saw the YouTube "Ayers vs. Alabama" video. It's 3 minutes and 36 seconds and it shows a total of 15 plays.

I audited the plays:

1) Pass play, lightning-quick inside pass rush past statuesque guard. Ayers whacks the quarterback (you can hear the hit) who dumps off for a short completion.

4) Run play, unblocked, crashed down the line, buries ball carrier unassisted for one yard loss.

5) Run play, Ayers beats Andre Smith (345 lbs) off the snap pushes him back one yard to set the edge, ball carrier runs inside and is tripped up by pursuit.

6) Run play, Ayers lines up wide, surges inside, meets and plays off the tight end, stops ball carrier for no gain.

7) Pass play, Ayers lines up uncovered blows through the running back block (like a fly on the windshield, you can hear this too), pressures an incompletion.

8) Pass play, lines up at tackle, blows past guard, QB throws ball away to avoid sack.

9) Run play, takes inside angle, spins off guard block and gang tackles ball carrier (5 yard gain).

10) Run play, lines up wide, delayed rush, blows up tight end to set the edge, ball carrier cuts inside and is stopped by pursuit (2 yard gain).

11) Pass play on 1st down, lines up against Andre Smith, blows past him, QB checks down and completes pass under pressure.

13) Run play, dances around Andre Smith (no contact) and takes inside angle, ball carrier bounces outside for 10 yard gain.

15) Run play at Ayers, drives Andre Smith backwards to set the edge, redirects towards sideline in attempt to catch ball carrier who has a full head of steam, ball carrier turns corner on Ayers pursuit for 1st down.

16) Run play, lines up wide, destroys tight end and blows up ball carrier for 2 yard loss.

17) Run play, drives Andre Smith backwards 3 yards to set edge, ball carrier cuts inside, no inside-out pursuit by defense, ball carrier lunges into end zone.

Fifteen plays. At times it looks like he has little help. On 11 run plays he could possibly be faulted on two plays (13 and 15) for being overly-aggressive in his assignments. That would be quibbling. One play was away from him. On the other 8 run plays he was excellent.

It's a small sample size but he was generally dominating in those 15 plays. Here's 6 minutes and 18 seconds more of Ayers:

You have WAY too much time on your hand. Get a life.

You have WAY too much time on your hand. Get a life.

Dude, you are a complete Richard. He took the time to breakdown some film and provide some very good info. Granted, it's not the normal Bills sucks, Peters is a greedy POs, and Trent sucks but it has a place here.

Good job SJ. A lot of people appreciate the effort. :thumbsup:

Dude, you are a complete Richard. He took the time to breakdown some film and provide some very good info. Granted, it's not the normal Bills sucks, Peters is a greedy POs, and Trent sucks but it has a place here.

Agreed. Thanks SJ!

Agreed!!! And thanks for saying so Biscuit! :wallbash:

I wonder what mayock has seen of ayers in the last few days to have made him change his rankings? :wallbash:

1)Brown

2)Orapko

3)Jarron Gilbert/Jackson

He's seen some more money from the guy's agent :thumbsup:

Didn't read the whole thread so sorry if some of this has been covered already.

In Mayocks top 20 prospects he has Ayers at # 3 now. I can't believe this. People said he was a one year wonder. What has he done, other than the Senior Bowl to be rated so high? If we pick him I won't be upset at all really, but I don't think he provides the pass rush we need. Although he won't be situational, more of a 3 down guy. Thoughts?

Somebody posted a link to a highlight video of him and I was underwhelmed.

he's been my "sleeper" since the end of the season. After the season I thought of him as round 3...then I thought of him as Round 2 after the senior bowl. Now he's moving away from us in round 1. He's a Henderson/Haynseworth kind of guy, and from UT..I would think it a gutsy (risky) move to take him at 11. If we traded down I'd say go for it anywhere after about 17.

(In my best Mr. Rogers) Can you say Erik Flowers? I knew ya could

I audited the plays:

This was my analysis of the same video;

Play one was horrendous guard play and not much from Ayers IMO. Ayers goes in unblocked. He never has to take on an offensive lineman at all.

Play two he was unblocked again.

Third play he doesn't do much and the guy makes decent yardage.

Fourth play is the first one there on a running play to stop the runner and then the runner is gang tackled (good play)

Fifth play Ayers gets a lot of pressure on the QB. Very good play.

Sixth play Ayers fakes out the guard who couldn't block my grandma on that play.

Seventh play Ayers stop comes with a lot of help from 55.

Eight play. I have no idea why this play is even in the Ayers highlight reel.

Ninth play. Excellent run stuff.

Tenth play. Another why is this even on the highlight reel play.

Eleventh play. Why is this in the highlight reel. He chases after the RB but into the arms of other players. I may be looking at the wrong guy because I can't tell if it's 94 or 91 on the jersey.

Twelfth play. Why is this on the highlight reel?

Thirteenth play impressive stop of the RB.

Fourteenth play. Why is this on the highlight reel?

So my analysis of the highlight reel breaks down into four good plays out 14. Five that shouldn't even be on the highlight reel and the rest he's pretty much unblocked. I didn't see him double teamed at all during that game. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm pretty sure I saw that. The guards and tackles he'll play against in the NFL won't be as bad as those guys were on that day. There is very little evidence he break blocks effectively in the NFL. In fact he looks like he'll be eaten alive by those guys. He's a better LB prospect because if the guys up front open a hole for him he could do some damage.

I agree with you that he was impressive during that game, but you saw exactly what I saw, which is that he didn't engage Smith at all really

Beast, in reply to your post above, yes Ayers engaged Smith only five times. I would say that if scouts say that Ayers dominated Smith in that game it's because they watched video of the entire game. I'm quite sure for instance that Mayock has watched the entire game tape before putting his professional reputation on the line by saying that Ayers dominated Smith. We only see 14 plays here out of maybe 50-60 plays.

So my analysis of the highlight reel breaks down into four good plays out 14. Five that shouldn't even be on the highlight reel and the rest he's pretty much unblocked. I didn't see him double teamed at all during that game. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm pretty sure I saw that. The guards and tackles he'll play against in the NFL won't be as bad as those guys were on that day. There is very little evidence he break blocks effectively in the NFL. In fact he looks like he'll be eaten alive by those guys. He's a better LB prospect because if the guys up front open a hole for him he could do some damage.

So to paraphrase my earlier post, "You're looking for a highlight on every play. The question should be, what was Ayers' assignment on the play and did he carry it out?" In my view there was only one play which shouldn't be on the highlights, (#14) a run play to the opposite side. That leaves 14 plays where he had the opportunity to carry out his assignment and/or make the play.

Four of the plays were pass plays. On all four he got pressures. That includes the one pass play where he was lined up against Smith and blew past him (#11).

There were four run plays where Ayers lined up against Smith. On three of the plays (5, 15, 17) he defeats Smith pushing Smith backwards although on plays 15 and 17 the runner gains good yardage in spite of Smith being driven backwards. On another run play (#13) Ayers dances around Smith on the wrong side and the play goes the other way. So in four run plays against Smith, Ayers wins three of them and in five total plays against Smith, Ayers defeats him four times.

In the six run plays where Smith was not assigned to block him, Ayers made three initial tackles, two for losses (4, 16)and one for no gain (6). On the other three plays (9, 10, 12) Ayers set the edge or held the point and/or made the secondary tackle.

In summary: Ayers beats Smith heads up 4 of 5 times and on the other 9 plays he makes 6 excellent plays and carries out his assignment on the other 3 plays. Of the 14 pertinent plays Ayers has 13 good plays and 1 bad play (#13). I guess Steely and I view the video very differently.

Beast, in reply to your post above, yes Ayers engaged Smith only five times. I would say that if scouts say that Ayers dominated Smith in that game it's because they watched video of the entire game. I'm quite sure for instance that Mayock has watched the entire game tape before putting his professional reputation on the line by saying that Ayers dominated Smith. We only see 14 plays here out of maybe 50-60 plays.

So to paraphrase my earlier post, "You're looking for a highlight on every play. The question should be, what was Ayers' assignment on the play and did he carry it out?" In my view there was only one play which shouldn't be on the highlights, (#14) a run play to the opposite side. That leaves 14 plays where he had the opportunity to carry out his assignment and/or make the play.

Four of the plays were pass plays. On all four he got pressures. That includes the one pass play where he was lined up against Smith and blew past him (#11).

There were four run plays where Ayers lined up against Smith. On three of the plays (5, 15, 17) he defeats Smith pushing Smith backwards although on plays 15 and 17 the runner gains good yardage in spite of Smith being driven backwards. On another run play (#13) Ayers dances around Smith on the wrong side and the play goes the other way. So in four run plays against Smith, Ayers wins three of them and in five total plays against Smith, Ayers defeats him four times.

In the six run plays where Smith was not assigned to block him, Ayers made three initial tackles, two for losses and one for no gain (4, 6, 16). On the other three plays (9, 10, 12) Ayers set the edge or held the point and/or made the secondary tackle.

In summary: Ayers beats Smith heads up 4 of 5 times and on the other 9 plays he makes 6 excellent plays and carries out his assignment on the other 3 plays. I guess Steely and I view the video very differently.

It's a 6:18 video out of a one hour game of which the D was approx. on the field for a half hour. IMO, it's not supposed to be a video of him merely carrying out his assignments it's supposed to be a video of great plays. If it's a video of his carrying out assignments then what did he do the other 23:82 minutes? That's just how I approached it. If it's not a highlight reel then whats the point of the six minute video? Was he off the field a lot? Was he situational guy? I just didn't see anything great about him and the guard he was going against was awful during that game. JMO

Wonderful breakdown of those plays.

What do y'all think of putting a Grab on him if he's there at #11 on DraftTek's Mock?

Astro

Honestly Astro I think the Kid is EXACTLY what the Bills need both short and long term at LDE...Not sure if the Bills FO feels the same way...But when you consider the Grade Mayock has on Ayers he's actually a bargain at #11... :thumbsup:

Wonderful breakdown of those plays.

What do y'all think of putting a Grab on him if he's there at #11 on DraftTek's Mock?

Astro

It was a good breakdown by Sanjose, as always. :thumbsup:

Personally, I'm not enthralled of the idea of Ayers, but I believe you have to at least put him in there as a possibility and see how it goes Astro.