Robert Ayers

In Mayocks top 20 prospects he has Ayers at # 3 now. I can't believe this. People said he was a one year wonder. What has he done, other than the Senior Bowl to be rated so high? If we pick him I won't be upset at all really, but I don't think he provides the pass rush we need. Although he won't be situational, more of a 3 down guy. Thoughts?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Mayocks top 20 prospects he has Ayers at # 3 now. I can't believe this. People said he was a one year wonder. What has he done, other than the Senior Bowl to be rated so high? If we pick him I won't be upset at all really, but I don't think he provides the pass rush we need. Although he won't be situational, more of a 3 down guy. Thoughts?

he's been my "sleeper" since the end of the season. After the season I thought of him as round 3...then I thought of him as Round 2 after the senior bowl. Now he's moving away from us in round 1. He's a Henderson/Haynseworth kind of guy, and from UT..I would think it a gutsy (risky) move to take him at 11. If we traded down I'd say go for it anywhere after about 17.

he's been my "sleeper" since the end of the season. After the season I thought of him as round 3...then I thought of him as Round 2 after the senior bowl. Now he's moving away from us in round 1. He's a Henderson/Haynseworth kind of guy, and from UT..I would think it a gutsy (risky) move to take him at 11. If we traded down I'd say go for it anywhere after about 17.

He seems solid. But I find strange is that Mayock seems to have a good eye for talent and he's now rated the third overall best prospect. Not sure if I see it. What I do think, however, is that he might be a safer pick than Brown or Maybin. He might not be the pass rusher we need, but he might be more steady, Problem is, it's seems that we have too many of those steady but not spectacular guys. I just don't want a bust at #11. We can['t afford it

Having no where near the size and playing a completely different position what does he have in common with them other than being from the same school?

:thumbdown: I was waiting for someone to say that. He's said it at least three times on this board... :lol:

I love Ayers. I have him and Everette Brown neck and neck right now on my imaginary draft board.

Please don't misquote me and take it only for what it's worth. But watching the video on Ayers and seeing his size and skills and style, he reminds me a bit of Bruce Smith.

Ayers and Brown are my top two defensive end choices as well, and yes, that includes Orakpo.

To be fair, this guy would be a good fit for the Bills. High motor, but slow (ran a 4.9 in Indy: http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=0) AND plead guilty to misdemeanor assault in '05 (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/robert-ayers?id=71193). Why don't we start negotiating with this guy right now??

I like this the best: "Ayers lacks the elite speed to ever be a standout pass rusher"...then why is the the #3 overall prospect on the board??!?!

none of the 3 are in my top 3 DEs...seriously.

1) Larry English

2) Tyson Jackson

3) Lawrence Sidbury

After Ayers and Brown, Jackson is my third DE. I know many of my esteemed friends here are hung up on his (and Ayers') lack of elite speed but I think of football as largely a situation where you want to continuously beat the crap out of the other team and then rub their faces in their own crap. Thus Tyson Jackson. For the same reason many people like Rey Maualuga. I say if you go that approach get the lineman first.

Ayers played on the right side in college. WOuld he switch in with Schobel if he was drafted or would he supplant Kelsay and Denney. Also, what is the difference, other than facing the teams left tackle and tight end, for the right end? or is there none?

Ayers played on the right side in college. WOuld he switch in with Schobel if he was drafted or would he supplant Kelsay and Denney. Also, what is the difference, other than facing the teams left tackle and tight end, for the right end? or is there none?

The right end faces the team's left tackle, which is generally the more tougher tackle to face (with notable exceptions like Philly, where Runyan was a mainstay on the rightside for about a century). But I think it's overhyped - if a guy can get there from one side, he should be able to get there from the other.

Ayers played much of his junior year at LDE. He also lined up frequently at tackle. While he was predominantly a RDE last season I believe he could play LDE with not too much trouble.

Also while I'd like to think Schobel will regain his former goodness, there's much reason to believe he won't.

As another poster pointed out in the last day or two, he had 1 sack in 5 games last year and only 6.5 sacks in 16 games the year before. He'll be 32 when the season starts and is coming off his worst two (albeit injuries played a part) seasons since his rookie year. So there's concerns about his age/durability and possibly his skills eroding.

Also, a lot of people say that Ayers manhandled Andre Smith when they played Alabama. I just watched an Ayers highlight video on youtube and it looks to me that when he got sacks against Bama, that he was sliding in past the guard or beating the Tight End. I could be wrong though

Having no where near the size and playing a completely different position what does he have in common with them other than being from the same school?

F8ulmer was a lineman (offensive) and Tennessee has always looked aggressive linemen, especially on defense. If you want a defensive end I could mention Reggie White, but Ayers would have a LONG way to go before being mentioned as cmparable to a guy who was probably even better than Bruce Smith. No..he's aggressive in the mold of haynesworth and henderson and could be the force on the defensive line. Smith or White? Probably not.

Also, a lot of people say that Ayers manhandled Andre Smith when they played Alabama. I just watched an Ayers highlight video on youtube and it looks to me that when he got sacks against Bama, that he was sliding in past the guard or beating the Tight End. I could be wrong though

If we're talking about the same video I have a few observations.

Firstly I read somewhere that he had 4 QB pressures as a senior. That seems strange to me as he had 3 pressures in those 20 or so plays in the highlights against Alabama. That was probably half of one game. He only had one pressure the rest of the season? I highly doubt it.

In that video package he only engaged Smith maybe twice. On the two running plays where Smith was to block him Ayers showed superior punch and shocked Smith back while holding the point.

One person who commented on that video was seemingly looking for Ayers to make a highlight reel play on every play. What needs to be looked at is what his assignment was on that play and whether he carried it out. The only mistakes I saw him make in those 20 or so plays was a few times he was overaggressive and set the edge too far back in the backfield, enabling the running back to actually run behind him and cut upfield. However Ayers was not guilty of lining up too wide. He simply pushed the blocker too deep.

I've heard several reports that he dominated Smith in that game. Without seeing the whole game we have little choice but to judge the testimony of those who watched the whole game tape. In other words, how much faith do you put in Mayock's opinion?

If we're talking about the same video I have a few observations.

Firstly I read somewhere that he had 4 QB pressures as a senior. That seems strange to me as he had 3 pressures in those 20 or so plays in the highlights against Alabama. That was probably half of one game. He only had one pressure the rest of the season? I highly doubt it.

In that video package he only engaged Smith maybe twice. On the two running plays where Smith was to block him Ayers showed superior punch and shocked Smith back while holding the point.

One person who commented on that video was seemingly looking for Ayers to make a highlight reel play on every play. What needs to be looked at is what his assignment was on that play and whether he carried it out. The only mistakes I saw him make in those 20 or so plays was a few times he was overaggressive and set the edge too far back in the backfield, enabling the running back to actually run behind him and cut upfield. However Ayers was not guilty of lining up too wide. He simply pushed the blocker too deep.

I've heard several reports that he dominated Smith in that game. Without seeing the whole game we have little choice but to judge the testimony of those who watched the whole game tape. In other words, how much faith do you put in Mayock's opinion?

I agree with you that he was impressive during that game, but you saw exactly what I saw, which is that he didn't engage Smith at all really