Peyton Manning, his career inching closer to the end

Romeo

A story that is true for every NFL quarterback, age is an equalizer that diminishes the skills, timing and injury recovery time table for the faces of many NFL franchises. Yet now as the year is 2009 we cannot help but he reminded that some of the games biggest names and greatest producers are walking closer and closer to walking out that tunnel for the last time. Here are a few notable quartbacks to mention.

1)Kurt Warner(Age 37 currently, by season opener 38) Kurt Warner entered the league without alot of fan frenzy, a modest undrafted rookie found himself on several rosters, even backing up the now retired(we think) Brett Favre. After four seasons of being labled a "project" his career found itself on the self(literally), Kurt Warner was stocking shelves at a local gocery market when the phone rang, a chance to play football again. Between the Arena Football League & World League, Kurt was offered a chance to return to the NFL. His first job? Backing up Trent Green, the recently aquired quarterback from the Washington Redskins who coincidentally had gained his fame by coming off the bench and producing.

When Trent Green went down with an injury we saw Kurt Warner an unknown, who's scouting report read like a "Where's Waldo" illustration. That has been 11 years now, since then Kurt has seen 3 Superbowls(winning one), heading an offense titled "The Greatest Show on Turf" and being considered to be a future hall of famer in certain respects. During his journey he has been overshadowed and overlooked by the likes of Brett Favre, Mark Brunell, Trent Green, Marc Bulger, Eli Manning and most recently Matt Leinhart. But in one way or another Kurt has beaten them all, either for a starting spot or in an NFL game, Kurt has triumphed against all odds, in this least seasons Super Bowl he was seconds away from being a SuperBowl winner again.

The question isn't his legacy or his past, but how long can his current level of play last? head injuries, shoulder troubles, broken fingers and fractured ribs have been added to his physical depth chart. At 37 turning 38 and throwing to perhaps the most dominate receiver in the game today(Larry Fitzgerald) and possibly throwing to Anquan Bolden if he remains a Cardinal' how much longer can he last?

It is my opinion Kurt wants another shot at a superbowl, he is an amazing leader, a great influence on younger players on and off the field and still productive in the right system. But seeing as how he is turning 38 and his past injuries are many, I see Kurt playing the 2009 season and maybe 2010 if he is given protection by the line and commitment by the front office to add offensive weapons that will keep his numbers up and the teams postseason chances high.

2)Jake Delhomme(age 34) Jake much like our number one observation Kurt Warner had an odd path to the NFL, undrafted out of college he wound up in the NFL due to Mike Ditka signing him to Delhomme's hometown New Orleans' Saint's in 1997. His rookie season was as a scout team member on the Saint's practice squad, 1998 he backed up Kurt Warner in NFL Europe(Also known as the "World League"). In 1999 the Saint's(3-13) horrid offense led Head Coach Mike Ditka to use four quarterbacks including the Billy Joe's Tolliver and Holbert, former collegiate heisman trophy winner Danny Wuerffel and the recently promoted Jake Delhomme.

Jake wasn't the savior for the Saint's seeing as how he warmed the benches for Aaron Brooks and Jeff Blake, but his preseason showing brought cause for the the fans and critics to call for Delhomme to start. In 2003 Jake had the option of signing with Carolina and Dallas, the Cowboys' dropped their offer and Jake became a Panther. Since 2003 Jake has been the leader of one of the NFL's toughest teams, and led them to several NFC Championship games including a SuperBowl against the New England Patriots.

Now after many serious injuries to Jake's throwing shoulder, the question is how much longer can he compete and remain effective? My opinion is that Jake Delhomme will remain the starter for 2009, but be unseated by a free agent addition or a current member of the roster. His legacy will be that of a tough competitor whose career is marked by determination and workethic.

3)Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb(ages 33 & 32), both quarterbacks were high first round selections, both coming from highly television college programs and both have been the leader of their respective franchises early on. One has one a Super Bowl and the other has lost one, one is considered the face of the League and at times the other is considered the scapegoat of a franchise and it's woes. But the facts are undeniable, both Manning and McNabb are hall of Famers. Manning was debated and questioned on draft day 1998, but he turned out to be the gem of that draft(Not Ryan Leaf, who many scouts had ahead of Manning).

McNabb much like Manning was in a draft class that had stiff competition, Cade McNown, Tim Couch, Dante Culpepper and Akili Smith were all being considered as the saviors of many franchises. As the years have pasted Culpepper is reviving his career in Detroit and Smith, Couch and McNown are either retired or seldom heard of. Only McNabb has proven to be worthy of his selection, going to more than four NFC Championship games and losing in a closely fought Super Bowl, McNabb has reinvented himself as a master of passing not just rushing and a complimenting passing knowledge.

But how long do these greats stay in the game? Manning is timeless but is he ageless? No Manning is here to collect rings and records, he has 20,000 yards and 120 touchdowns to retire the NFL's passing leader( so that means 5-6 seasons playing at a high level. Here is a side question, Does Peyton Manning end his career in Indy? Honestly I see Peyton playing another 10 seasons, he is a fierce and stubborn competitor, so going out with another ring or two and every record is his goal.

If he does find himself a free agent or traded, Peyton will likely be a colt for at least another four seasons. As for Donovan, he is 32 and has taken more abuse both physical and emotionally as an Eagle, Donovan will be the starting quarterback for 2009 and in 2010 watch for him to be traded, the Eagles will be without Andy Reid and McNabb come 2010, a direction change and fresh start is wanted by Philly "brass" and this is the last year to prove McNabb and Reid can get it done. But if Donovan leaves or is traded how much longer will he play and where? I'd say he's got a good 4 years left of high play and he will land who knows....Buffalo? He was an Orangeman.

Here are a few other notable names to throw out there, Marc Bulger(32), Kerry Collins(36 turning 37 by December), Jeff Garcia(39), Brian Griese(34) and Chad Pennington(32).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Either you're an accomplished writer, or you have no issues with copyright laws. Either way, it is an interesting read.

Interesting read, but not sure about 'accomplished' writer. I'm not sure what a "highly television college program" is, nor is it undeniable that McNabb is Hall of Famer.

Not trying to slam the poster though - I did enjoy reading that, thank you.

It's not pasted from any major site -- too many copy-editing issues. Please don't take that as a slam, Romeo, because it wasn't meant as one. Assuming these are your own thoughts, I'll agree with Ray that it's an interesting read.

Disagree about Manning lasting another 10 years, though. I don't trust that knee.

Interesting read, but not sure about 'accomplished' writer. I'm not sure what a "highly television college program" is, nor is it undeniable that McNabb is Hall of Famer.

Not trying to slam the poster though - I did enjoy reading that, thank you.

Accomplished? No. I'm going at writting interesting stories and such, but much like EVERY writer I need to revise and spellscheck my writings(which sometimes) I forget to do. I meant to say highly TELEVISED, meaning to say that they were very well covered programs without alot of national attention. As for McNabb ending up a Hall of Famer, I believe he deserves it. Lesser players at his position have made it in, I really like McNabb I honestly do.

Thank you for responding and thanks for pointing out what I forgot to correct.

Romeo

It's not pasted from any major site -- too many copy-editing issues. Please don't take that as a slam, Romeo, because it wasn't meant as one. Assuming these are your own thoughts, I'll agree with Ray that it's an interesting read.

Disagree about Manning lasting another 10 years, though. I don't trust that knee.

No I didn't copy it. Thank you for the feedback, I think his knee won't last but much like other stubborn Quarterbacks of the past he'll try to hold on(Obviously in vain). Peyton in my opinion has a good chance at ending his career elsewhere, even if it doesn't if I were the Colt's front office I'd be looking through the next 2 or 3 drafts looking for someone Manning could groom to replace him. I'd be looking for a quarterback that isn't Manning's stature or type of passer, I'd be looking for a guy who already has poise, leadership skills and accuracy with marginal arm strength but might have some issues with reading defenses.

Just throwing that out there.

A story that is true for every NFL quarterback, age is an equalizer that diminishes the skills, timing and injury recovery time table for the faces of many NFL franchises. Yet now as the year is 2009 we cannot help but he reminded that some of the games biggest names and greatest producers are walking closer and closer to walking out that tunnel for the last time. Here are a few notable quartbacks to mention..........

As for Donovan (McNabb), he is 32 and has taken more abuse both physical and emotionally as an Eagle, Donovan will be the starting quarterback for 2009 and in 2010 watch for him to be traded, the Eagles will be without Andy Reid and McNabb come 2010, a direction change and fresh start is wanted by Philly "brass" and this is the last year to prove McNabb and Reid can get it done. But if Donovan leaves or is traded how much longer will he play and where? I'd say he's got a good 4 years left of high play and he will land who knows....Buffalo? He was an Orangeman.......

Like goalies in the NHL, QB's in the NFL seem to last a hell of lot longer then they should. There have always been at least 10 excellent QB's playing in their mid to late 30's every single year in the NFL since I started watching the game way back in the late 60's. I still remember George Blanda winning games for the Raiders as a QB and a kicker into his 40's back in the early 1970's!

Your story is nothing new, but I do find it interesting in that those teams will be struggling to find replacements for maybe years, when those guys finally retire. But for Manning and McNabb, they've already played 10 or more years for their respective teams, so Indy and Philly are way ahead of the game. Look at Buffalo after Kelly gave us 11 amazing seasons. It's now been 12 years since his retirement, and the Bills have never really replaced him.

Accomplished? No. I'm going at writting interesting stories and such, but much like EVERY writer I need to revise and spellscheck my writings(which sometimes) I forget to do. I meant to say highly TELEVISED, meaning to say that they were very well covered programs without alot of national attention. As for McNabb ending up a Hall of Famer, I believe he deserves it. Lesser players at his position have made it in, I really like McNabb I honestly do.

Romeo

The difference in language and grammer between your OP and this one is interesting...

Like goalies in the NHL, QB's in the NFL seem to last a hell of lot longer then they should. There have always been at least 10 excellent QB's playing in their mid to late 30's every single year in the NFL since I started watching the game way back in the late 60's. I still remember George Blanda winning games for the Raiders as a QB and a kicker into his 40's back in the early 1970's!

Your story is nothing new, but I do find it interesting in that those teams will be struggling to find replacements for maybe years, when those guys finally retire. But for Manning and McNabb, they've already played 10 or more years for their respective teams, so Indy and Philly are way ahead of the game. Look at Buffalo after Kelly gave us 11 amazing seasons. It's now been 12 years since his retirement, and the Bills have never really replaced him.

Thanks for calling it an interesting read, as for saying it's nothing new? Honestly have you seen this on any other forum, site or page? So the concept isn't anything new but this post is so...ugh! As for Blanda, Moon and the elder signal callers of franchises past, present and future...teams are always looking to get younger. Joe Montana was ushered out of San Fransisco due to injury concern and a YOUNGER Steve Young poised and ready to "attempt" to take over the position.

As for Jim Kelly, he could have played a few more years, but he saw the direction the franchise was going in and being the class act he was(and is) stepped away without letting a conflict begin. We replaced Jim with Rob Johnson based on one game, but NFL front offices are always looking for the next Jack Hobbs I suppose. Rob had great talent but didn't read safties well and found himself being replaced by BCU's and NCAA former leading passer, Doug Flutie. Flutie was a great competitor but the team just didn't have the forward direction to be effective in the post season.

Had they just stuck with Flutie and groomed a replacement, we'd be fine but the fact is we didn't do that and it's 2009.

also I just want to say that call was bull sh--, Frank Wychek didn't throw a legal pass so !@#$ you Titans we would have gone to the super bowl if it wasn't for that bull sh-- call!

Um...sorry but yeah...thanks

The difference in language and grammer between your OP and this one is interesting...

Break out a microscope and notice me not giving a sh--, fact is I wrote my OP because it was a thoughout post not a response, jesus !@#$ing christ get a life and just read the article, comment the article and thats it...

I liked your first book better.

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=86482

Book ay? Oh I get it, you made light of the fact I sometimes write long posts. PURE GENIUS SIR, seriously folks do we really have to be as ignorant as Matty here by trying to be children? Here is something that may surprise you...we don't!

I read posts all the !@#$ing time and I don't look up someones post from the past like Matty here and say, "Gee Matty sho' does leave some dumb !@#$in' posts"...

Let's grow up and focus on the draft, responding to topics like adults and being pleasant to one another...That'd be nice...

:thumbdown: Exactly.

I'm starting to suspect that "Knockout" is a moron. Because you know he responded with such vigor! Such passion and such articulation as to so beautifully state "Exactly"...what a !@#$ing herb

I give him 6 or 7 depending on the records!!

I give him 6 or 7 depending on the records!!

Thank You so much for actually commenting the article, maybe you're right though 6 or 7 does sound very reasonable...But I just think he might try to cement his legacy by trying to reach 75K in yards and 500 in TD's...only time will tell I suppose.

Thanks for RESPONDING and not ranting

Romeo

I'm starting to suspect that "Knockout" is a moron. Because you know he responded with such vigor! Such passion and such articulation as to so beautifully state "Exactly"...what a !@#$ing herb

Well...duh.

Manning's knee is fine. He has a little bursitis that acted up at the wrong time, he'll be fine. He could play another 10 years if he wanted to, but he won't. I bet he plays anywhere from 5-8 seasons, gets a ton of records but no more SB rings, and is a first ballot HOF'er.

Romeo

McNabb's not a HOF'er. Not after folding in the spotlight, letting Freddie Mitchell call the plays. He's been a very good QB, but unless they're lowering the bar for the HOF he's not making it in.

Well...duh.

Manning's knee is fine. He has a little bursitis that acted up at the wrong time, he'll be fine. He could play another 10 years if he wanted to, but he won't. I bet he plays anywhere from 5-8 seasons, gets a ton of records but no more SB rings, and is a first ballot HOF'er.

McNabb's not a HOF'er. Not after folding in the spotlight, letting Freddie Mitchell call the plays. He's been a very good QB, but unless they're lowering the bar for the HOF he's not making it in.

McNabb not Hall worthy? Bob Waterfield is worthier? and Sonny Jurgensen is too? Okay...Look at the stats and make a real opinion...

Fact is the Colts need to start preparing for the post Manning era very soon...that doesn't mean ship him off to god knows where but to at least start considering draft prospects that could replace him in 4-7 years

Are you kidding me? I only respond with "passion or articulation" to posts that actually deserve it. The 11 year old kid across the street could have written the same "article" that you just did. I'm sorry that I even wasted my time reading the entire collection of random thoughts that you presented in that OP. The 1999 New Orleans Saints quarterback depth chart as related to Jake Delhomme. Wow. How riveting, and completely relevant to the Buffalo Bills. Not that ONE POINT in your post was anyways. Daunte Culpepper is "reviving his career in Detroit"? Right. One would think that turning around a career would include winning at least a game or two. "If he does find himself a free agent or traded, Peyton will likely be a colt for at least another four seasons." What the hell does that even mean? I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that all you were doing was spewing out a bunch of irrelevant "facts", some of which were off base, in a completely incoherant and drawn out manner. If anyone on this board who read that post actually gained some insight or knowledge from it, I would love to know how you managed to do it. Kudos Romeo, great stuff.