Madden Retiring from broadcasting

Please allow me turn this into a topic that belongs on this "main board":

John Madden, who's Raiders lost a classic MNF game in the last seconds on a catch by Ahmad Rashad to the Buffalo Bills,

back in 1974, giving Oakland their first ever loss on MNF announced his retirement from announcing.

:thumbdown::lol::doh:

Fixed.

I love the guy! Yeah, his 'Boom' and 'Bams' were un-necessary to avid football fans, but he brought young kids and some wives into the Sunday afternoon Autumn pastime with his antics. IMO, he's as much an icon as John Facenda and maybe moreso. I'll miss him.

Enjoy the rest of your days, John. Thank you!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know he switched from Fox to NBC a couple of years back, right? If not, I hate to think about all the games you missed while you were waiting for him to leave ...

:thumbdown:

aggie, Collinsworth would be a good call.

I liked Madden a lot, although there was a period where he was definitely off of his game - or so I thought at the time. The problem was Summerall, who was never very good but downright dreadful has last couple/few years. Once Madden joined with Michaels, he was the best color guy around. I suspect he became bored announcing with Summerall, but he seemed to discover a fountain of youth when he made the shift to Michaels. He was terrific the last couple of years.

It's an NFL topic. Unlike some other sites, we don't have a separate Bills-only board. So why wouldn't it belong here?

Back on topic, I didn't care for Madden's broadcasting style, but will always respect his knowledge of the game. Happy trails.

Are you kidding?? This MAIN BOARD was set up AS a Bills-only board! Of course, they will only remind you of this when they don't like your non-Bills related thread.

Are you kidding?? This MAIN BOARD was set up AS a Bills-only board! Of course, they will only remind you of this when they don't like your non-Bills related thread.

No, it wasn't. If anyone tells you differently, "they" have bad information.

Regards,

the management

Edit: I will add that we do prefer to restrict this board to NFL-related discussion. Thus, Sabres/local college and prep stuff moves to Off The Wall.

And posts created on this board solely to attack other posters will continue to be dealt with appropriately.

Regardless if he's been a shadow of himself over the past few years, I will miss John Madden.

Even though Collinsworth is probably the best analyst in the game now. Al and Chris will be a terrific booth.

Fixed.

I love the guy! Yeah, his 'Boom' and 'Bams' were un-necessary to avid football fans, but he brought young kids and some wives into the Sunday afternoon Autumn pastime with his antics. IMO, he's as much an icon as John Facenda and maybe moreso. I'll miss him.

Enjoy the rest of your days, John. Thank you!

Outstanding. I did not know it was their first MNF loss. As for the man himself, I'm old enough to remember when he first started in the booth in the late 70's. He was an absolute original, and everybody loved his style. Through the years, he stayed on top without ever really changing his style, and that is hard to do in any field. He had an amazing career as a color guy, and he will be the last great one ever.

Today, it is all about the technology. The yellow first down line. 4 replays of every play from 4 different angles. HDTV that puts you "on the field." When John Madden first started, I remember thinking how great it was for him to do a rare Bills game against an NFC opponent. Now, I could care less who the announcing team is, because it really doesn't matter anymore.

No, it wasn't. If anyone tells you differently, "they" have bad information.

Regards,

the management

Edit: I will add that we do prefer to restrict this board to NFL-related discussion. Thus, Sabres/local college and prep stuff moves to Off The Wall.

And posts created on this board solely to attack other posters will continue to be dealt with appropriately.

Really? Well, once I posted a thread telling the All Pro posters to stop flaming the rookies for posting old threads. One of the All Pros, "The Dean" wrote this reply back:

"Not sure why you felt compelled to post this, actually. I found it amusing that you chose the wrong forum, though, You've been around long enough to know this thread is not "Bills related" and doesn't belong on the main board.

But, given the content of your post, it sounds as if you don't really give a s#it about the rules, and customs of this community. I'm going to guess that you haven't bothered to read the Terms of Service, which outline some of the guidelines for this website:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?act=boardrules

Now, I don't think most of the posters here really care much, if a poster is very new, or a vet. I will speak for myself, though. Sometimes when I see a post that post, or thread, that is so obviously out-of-step with the norms that have been established here, I take a peek at their post count. If it's someone new, I might try some friendly advice on what is normally done, around here. Also, if the handle seems unfamiliar, I might do the same, and say "Welcome" if the poster is very new. If a long-time contributor makes, what at first blush, seems to be a rare gaff, I probably let him/her slide, figuring they know the score around here. So, if that counts as caring about post counts, then I have to plead guilty. Otherwise, I don't care all that much.

As you may have noticed, this is a very lightly moderated board. I visit other forums that are very heavily moderated, where repeat threads on the same issue are quickly squashed (closed or merged) and posters are warned for abuse. Here, we do a little bit of self regulation, when we can. But, I trust you notice what happens when things get out of hand: a mod, usually Simon, starts shutting down thread, after thread. Is that what you want to have happen, on a regular basis?

So, I won't apologize for the fact that many of us treat this community as such...it is a community. Many of us, know each other in real life. New posters are more than welcome...in fact they really keep the place active and alive, IMO. But, I don't think this place has ever been a free-for-all, without some guidelines, and traditions.

So, honestly, I think the poster that really needs to get over himself, is you. It seems you don't like the community, as is, yet you want to stay, and enforce your standards, instead of respecting the standards that were in place in the community you decided to join."

So I ask, what does "...this thread is not "Bills related" and doesn't belong on the main board...." mean to you?

I like Madden - wordy, of course, but that's part 'n parcel of the NFL hype. His comments about things on the field are always worth paying attention to, IMO.

His W-L record with OAK, the style and excitement his teams brought to the NFL, are remarkable.

:thumbdown: We live in a world where anything that is too popular must suck!

Really? Well, once I posted a thread telling the All Pro posters to stop flaming the rookies for posting old threads. One of the All Pros, "The Dean" wrote this reply back:

"Not sure why you felt compelled to post this, actually. I found it amusing that you chose the wrong forum, though, You've been around long enough to know this thread is not "Bills related" and doesn't belong on the main board.

But, given the content of your post, it sounds as if you don't really give a s#it about the rules, and customs of this community. I'm going to guess that you haven't bothered to read the Terms of Service, which outline some of the guidelines for this website:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?act=boardrules

Now, I don't think most of the posters here really care much, if a poster is very new, or a vet. I will speak for myself, though. Sometimes when I see a post that post, or thread, that is so obviously out-of-step with the norms that have been established here, I take a peek at their post count. If it's someone new, I might try some friendly advice on what is normally done, around here. Also, if the handle seems unfamiliar, I might do the same, and say "Welcome" if the poster is very new. If a long-time contributor makes, what at first blush, seems to be a rare gaff, I probably let him/her slide, figuring they know the score around here. So, if that counts as caring about post counts, then I have to plead guilty. Otherwise, I don't care all that much.

As you may have noticed, this is a very lightly moderated board. I visit other forums that are very heavily moderated, where repeat threads on the same issue are quickly squashed (closed or merged) and posters are warned for abuse. Here, we do a little bit of self regulation, when we can. But, I trust you notice what happens when things get out of hand: a mod, usually Simon, starts shutting down thread, after thread. Is that what you want to have happen, on a regular basis?

So, I won't apologize for the fact that many of us treat this community as such...it is a community. Many of us, know each other in real life. New posters are more than welcome...in fact they really keep the place active and alive, IMO. But, I don't think this place has ever been a free-for-all, without some guidelines, and traditions.

So, honestly, I think the poster that really needs to get over himself, is you. It seems you don't like the community, as is, yet you want to stay, and enforce your standards, instead of respecting the standards that were in place in the community you decided to join."

So I ask, what does "...this thread is not "Bills related" and doesn't belong on the main board...." mean to you?

Does The Dean's name appear anywhere on our moderating team? No? All righty then. Although, truth be told, I don't find much else to disagree with in that post other than the "Bills-related" statement regarding the main board.

And I repeat: Threads created on this board solely to call out other posters -- as that one was -- will continue to be dealt with appropriately.

I liked Madden a lot, although there was a period where he was definitely off of his game - or so I thought at the time. The problem was Summerall, who was never very good but downright dreadful has last couple/few years. Once Madden joined with Michaels, he was the best color guy around. I suspect he became bored announcing with Summerall, but he seemed to discover a fountain of youth when he made the shift to Michaels. He was terrific the last couple of years.

100% agree! :thumbsup:

Back in the early 1990's, when Madden was in his prime, and incidentally, the Bills were too, I didn't really appreciate Madden as much. I tended to rely on NBC more than CBS in those days. I never disliked the guy (people here seem to despise him!)

Then, later on, as you said, when Madden was teamed up with Summerall in his waining days, neither did much for me. But, when Madden was paired with Michaels, I really started to appreciate him, and Michaels more.

As much pissing and moaning that goes on here about play by play guys, color guys, studio analysts, will everyone be happy when all we get is computer graphics, telling us what is going on? It seems like people are getting more ADD with everything...

I know people always say they hate the job that these guys do, and they would rather just watch with the sound off. Bull, I say! They experimented, in the early 1990's with some preseason games, with no announcers, only graphics showing stats. I can tell you, I love football, but it does not make for good tv, like that.

I kind of like Collinsworth (I am sure everyone here hates him too!) but I will truly miss Madden. For the first time in years, since the two have been together on NBC, it seemed, to me, that there was a prime time football telecast that seemed like an event.

I remember when Collingworth took a cheap shot at Bruce Smith during that AFC playoff game that the Bills lost to the Steelers. Without knowing anything about the situation he called out Bruce for not playing, saying that having the flu isn't a good enough reason to miss a playoff game. Bruce was in the hospital, and say what you will about him, I am sure if there was ANY way he could have played in a playoff game, he would have. I got the impression that it was a personal attack, and it has shaded my opinion of Collingsworth ever since. I think he is good in the booth, but a bit of a condescending pr**k.

You do know he switched from Fox to NBC a couple of years back, right? If not, I hate to think about all the games you missed while you were waiting for him to leave ...

:thumbsup:

aggie, Collinsworth would be a good call.

NBC's Sunday night games you mean..

Does it really matter? To me he will always have the NFC far up his butt. He was the proverbial butt kisser. He league wide football knowledge grew more and more limited lust like his game coverage.

Tell me how many Bills games did Maddening call since the switch to NBC.

If he's not doing a Bills game I am happy to not have to listen to him.