Jests complain about schedule for religious reasons

Beerball

It is different, people of Jewish faith will not be permitted to attend these games. Its not like Catholics who can go to 9am mass and then head over to Lot 1 having met their commitment. They are not permitted to WATCH THE GAMES ON TV, let alone go to a football game on those days, and its pretty strict unless you're not a practicing Jew.

Unless you live here you probably wouldn't be able to understand how influential the Jewish faith is in NYC.....I would liken it to no Polish people being able to attend the first two games in Buffalo nor watch on TV.

Its a PR nightmare for the Jets, and I'm sure they're getting an earful from their fans. I can't blame them for trying to get the games moved.

Their religion, their choice. Individually, the Jew must decide which is more important, football or their religion. This is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their religion, their choice. Individually, the Jew must decide which is more important, football or their religion. This is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

They're going to choose religion, which means the Jets are probably going to lose a quarter of their audience. All I'm saying is that its a PR nightmare for the team.

They're going to choose religion, which means the Jets are probably going to lose a quarter of their audience. All I'm saying is that its a PR nightmare for the team.

I have a feeling the stands will be full.

Then it will be a great opportunity to make a tidy profit by scalping their tickets.

I am not one of them, but what is the hatred all about towards NYC people on this board. It doesn't really affect me either way but I am sure if any of you were Jewish yourself and had Bills season tickets and the Bills were playing on both of these days, you would be bitching up a storm too. There is a huge Jewish population in NYC, more so I am sure than any other NFL city, and probably not by a small margin either. I don't think the NFL will or should reschedule, but I bet they look at things like this in the future and they should.

What an idiotic post. Is your religion (if you have one) a non issue in your view?

It is different, people of Jewish faith will not be permitted to attend these games. Its not like Catholics who can go to 9am mass and then head over to Lot 1 having met their commitment. They are not permitted to WATCH THE GAMES ON TV, let alone go to a football game on those days, and its pretty strict unless you're not a practicing Jew.

Unless you live here you probably wouldn't be able to understand how influential the Jewish faith is in NYC.....I would liken it to no Polish people being able to attend the first two games in Buffalo nor watch on TV.

Its a PR nightmare for the Jets, and I'm sure they're getting an earful from their fans. I can't blame them for trying to get the games moved.

But wouldn't the same thing hold true for an away game?

Bills have played home games on those holidays before, and I know people from TSW have had to miss them because of that. I still don't remember any formal complaints being filed, though -- it was more like grumbling, "sucks that I can't go to the game because it's on Yom Kippur," and they moved on.

last i heard the nfl was a secular institution. if your so-called "religion(whichever of these mythologies you subscribe to)" is so damned important then observe it! there are already enough concessions made to this silliness in the world.

the jets should be doing backflips that they get to be the lucky team this year that gets to play a 9th home game vs. buffalo.

last i heard the nfl was a secular institution. if your so-called "religion(whichever mythology you subscribe to)" is so damned important then observe it! there are already enough concessions made to this silliness in the world.

Amen

:thumbsup:

You said it was a non issue and the whole thing is about the Jewish religion? Don't back track now.

The whole thing isn't about the Jewish religion. The NFL is involved, as well. The NFL needn't and shouldn't be scheduling games around the beliefs and practices of the various religions of their fans. It should be a non-issue to the league. Of course it is an issue to the Jews who keep these days holy (about half the Jews I know...or fewer).

The whole thing isn't about the Jewish religion. The NFL is involved, as well. The NFL needn't and shouldn't be scheduling games around the beliefs and practices of the various religions of their fans. It should be a non-issue to the league. Of course it is an issue to the Jews who keep these days holy (about half the Jews I know...or fewer).

Dean, I agree with you, my only point is, is that I can understand where they (Jewish) are coming from. Even though I am not a big religious person, I don't believe in talking down another person's religion, race, heritage or anything of that nature.

Dean, I agree with you, my only point is, is that I can understand where they (Jewish) are coming from. Even though I am not a big religious person, I don't believe in talking down another person's religion, race, heritage or anything of that nature.

I agree.

BTW, if this were simply an issue between the Jets and their fans, I might understand some concessions being made...but it is far more complicated and this is not the Jets doing, it is the doing of the NFL.

I know plenty of practicing Jews who go to games even during religious holidays.

For some Yom Kippur holidays I have subbed for so they could take day off and others were willing to work as a substitute and get extra pay. One qualified it by saying that he could work because he was honoring the same hours as in Jerusalem.

I went to UB and when Jests were playing locally they would be going to games.

UB was more than 25% Jewish according to Jewish student representatives.

We got the day off so I am very sure of the dates.

Are they not supposed to play away games either?

It makes no difference then if it is an away game or a home game since they "can not" watch the game either way but only Jests are complaining not Jiants - are all of the Jewish NFL fans in NYC Jest fans?

But wouldn't the same thing hold true for an away game?

Bills have played home games on those holidays before, and I know people from TSW have had to miss them because of that. I still don't remember any formal complaints being filed, though -- it was more like grumbling, "sucks that I can't go to the game because it's on Yom Kippur," and they moved on.

Yup...in fact a Bills fan friend will not be able to watch 1 or 2 of the Bills games this season for the same reason, and he's grumbling.

I'm not saying the NFL should change the schedule, I'm just saying that those on the thread slamming NYC (being treated with gloves) and Jews(they need to choose sports/religion) for this just don't comprehend the situation here. I'm just trying to explain the Jet's dilemma here.

I'm sure Jews make up a a huge portion of the Jets fanbase, especially in Long Island, and I'm sure their fans are ticked that they can't watch the first two games. There's over 2 million jews in the city, not including Long Island, NJ, or the surrounding areas. There are more Jews in NYC than people in Western New York, its a major part of the culture here. Plus, we have a HUGE Orthodox population which is very strict, and most NFL cities (if any) don't have.

As I said, it'd be like Polish or Irish people in Buffalo not being able to see the first two games, there would be outrage if the NFL could have designed the schedule to be more accommodating.

In the end its a PR nightmare for the Jets as well as the NFL, and I'm sure going forward they'll make an effort to be more accommodating.

Yup...in fact a Bills fan friend will not be able to watch 1 or 2 of the Bills games this season for the same reason, and he's grumbling.

I'm not saying the NFL should change the schedule, I'm just saying that those on the thread slamming NYC (being treated with gloves) and Jews(they need to choose sports/religion) for this just don't comprehend the situation here. I'm just trying to explain the Jet's dilemma here.

I'm sure Jews make up a a huge portion of the Jets fanbase, especially in Long Island, and I'm sure their fans are ticked that they can't watch the first two games. There's over 2 million jews in the city, not including Long Island, NJ, or the surrounding areas. There are more Jews in NYC than people in Western New York, its a major part of the culture here. Plus, we have a HUGE Orthodox population which is very strict, and most NFL cities (if any) don't have.

As I said, it'd be like Polish or Irish people in Buffalo not being able to see the first two games, there would be outrage if the NFL could have designed the schedule to be more accommodating.

In the end its a PR nightmare for the Jets as well as the NFL, and I'm sure going forward they'll make an effort to be more accommodating.

I comprehend the situation just fine, thanks, and I still don't agree with you. Jewish people (not "Jews," by the way) in New York City are no more or less important than Jewish people anywhere else. Your very special city can deal with it this year, and next year it will be someone else's turn. It isn't fair to Jewish people in other cities if they get stuck with games on High Holidays because New York refuses them. Repeating the number of Jewish people in New York won't make it fair, either.

Are you suggesting the Jets' Jewish fans are holding the team responsible for making the NFL schedule?

I comprehend...NYC is special...I get it.