Jim Leonhard - Punt Returner

Per Rotoworld:

Jim Leonhard is expected to replace Leon Washington as the Jets' primary punt returner this season.

Washington will stay on kickoff returns, but the Jets hope to keep him fresher for an increased offensive role. Leonhard will likely also start at safety, although it remains to be seen if he's at the free or strong position.

Source: New York Daily News

Call me crazy, but this doesn't strike much fear into me....I thought the Jets were over-estimating Leonhard's safety skills when they signed him, but if they want him to return punts too, that's fine by me...hope he still has the job when they face the Bills!

P.S. - I've always kinda liked Leonhard from his Bills time, but he just didn't strike me as quality starter material.

Per Rotoworld:

Jim Leonhard is expected to replace Leon Washington as the Jets' primary punt returner this season.

Washington will stay on kickoff returns, but the Jets hope to keep him fresher for an increased offensive role. Leonhard will likely also start at safety, although it remains to be seen if he's at the free or strong position.

Source: New York Daily News

Call me crazy, but this doesn't strike much fear into me....I thought the Jets were over-estimating Leonhard's safety skills when they signed him, but if they want him to return punts too, that's fine by me...hope he still has the job when they face the Bills!

P.S. - I've always kinda liked Leonhard from his Bills time, but he just didn't strike me as quality starter material.

He's more of a "punt catcher" .... B-)

Well, we're spoiled with guys like Clements, Parrish, and even fred Jackson returning punts. Leonard is above-average--though not as good as who we've had and certainly not as good as Washington.

But you've still got to root for the guy!

bull sh*t. i'm not rooting for any player in our divsion, thats not on the bills.

He's more of a "punt catcher" ....

Well, we're spoiled with guys like Clements, Parrish, and even fred Jackson returning punts.

Sorry for going off topic, but how far has our punt catching return game come, from a guy whose job it was to catch it and fall down to multiple players that are legitimate threats to produce a highlight play on every punt. That's a pretty steep line on a graph.

Watson in 2000 averaged 4.9 yards/return.

Our 2008 returners:

Roscoe Parrish 15.3

Fred Jackson 16.6

Leodis McKelvin 13.0

(Leodis only had 2 returns.)

kj