If the Bills were to trade Jason Peters and drafted a OT

If reports are somewhat accurate and Peters wants 11+ million dollars per year then for a 5 year contract it should be 56 million dollars over the course of the whole contract. Looking back at the last 2 drafts here's what the #11 pick were paid.

2008-Leodis McKelvin-5 year-19.4 million

2007-Patrick Willis-5 year-16.655 million

Taking the inflation in consideration for 2009 then a 5 year contract should be in the neighborhood of 22+ million dollars. Although I'm not sure if the position dictates the dollars in a contract but it still doesn't alter the fact that there is a HUGE difference in what Peters wants and what a OT taken with the 11th pick would be. As much as I don't want the Bills to trade Peters keep in mind that first and foremost that the NFL is a business.

I have the solution for this whole fiasco but nobody ever asked, so I'm givin it to you for free.

Put his fat ass back to tight end and make him play that side of the line.

Russ, pay me.

I got to hand it to you, that's a very interesting take on the Peters saga. If that were to really happen, and not that it would, then he would be one of the higher paid TEs in the league. The irony would be that he'd still not be the highest paid TE. LOL!

On another note, Peters is scheduled to be a FA in 2011, the uncapped year.

I have the solution for this whole fiasco but nobody ever asked, so I'm givin it to you for free.

Put his fat ass back to tight end and make him play that side of the line.

Russ, pay me.

I don't know this, but I would guess that there's language in the standard player contract preventing teams from making moves like this to deliberately reduce a player's value. You don't get a discount on the franchise tag, say, by announcing the Matt Cassel is now a punter. Peters would file a grievance, and possibly get his release. In any case, Peters isn't going to end a holdout because you changed his jersey number and made him an eligible receiver.

I dont think a move like that would hurt his value. Other teams would still view his as a very good and athletic LT, so when he hits the open market thats the money he will demand.

Lets make this clear -- The longer the Bills wait the more he will have to be paid. If the Bills paid him before last years draft, he would have been happy with less than what Jake Long got because Jake Long wasn't paid a dime yet. This year, when one of the top two picks is a LT, and probably gets more than Long, Peters will want more than that guy so that he is still the top paid LT. If we wait again till next offseason, his rate just went up again. Trade him or sign him BEFORE this draft.

I got to hand it to you, that's a very interesting take on the Peters saga. If that were to really happen, and not that it would, then he would be one of the higher paid TEs in the league. The irony would be that he'd still not be the highest paid TE. LOL!

On another note, Peters is scheduled to be a FA in 2011, the uncapped year.

By then the top paid LT could be making $14 mill per season <_<

If reports are somewhat accurate and Peters wants 11+ million dollars per year then for a 5 year contract it should be 56 million dollars over the course of the whole contract. Looking back at the last 2 drafts here's what the #11 pick were paid.

2008-Leodis McKelvin-5 year-19.4 million

2007-Patrick Willis-5 year-16.655 million

Taking the inflation in consideration for 2009 then a 5 year contract should be in the neighborhood of 22+ million dollars. Although I'm not sure if the position dictates the dollars in a contract but it still doesn't alter the fact that there is a HUGE difference in what Peters wants and what a OT taken with the 11th pick would be. As much as I don't want the Bills to trade Peters keep in mind that first and foremost that the NFL is a business.

That's a great analysis. I just don't want Andre Smith. Everyone seems to be high on Oher though and he should be available at #11. The Peters trade would give us another 1st round pick and we could grab a LB (Matthews/Cushing/Maluaga (sp?)) or a TE (Pettigrew) and a DE in the second (Sidbury/Gilbert/Barwin). Plenty of depth after that, and don't forget we need an LG. But this could work. Godspeed, Russ.

What most of you fail to realize is, Peters is already a pro bowl player and most NFL personnel think he is the best at a position it is very difficult even to find a player that can excel at position.

When you draft a player at any position you can basically say that unless a miracle happens your going to need to develop that player for 2-3 years before he even begins to realize their potential.

I wouldn't count on drafting anyone to step right in and be as good as Peters is, when he has a full camp.

What most of you fail to realize is, Peters is already a pro bowl player and most NFL personnel think he is the best at a position it is very difficult even to find a player that can excel at position.

When you draft a player at any position you can basically say that unless a miracle happens your going to need to develop that player for 2-3 years before he even begins to realize their potential.

I wouldn't count on drafting anyone to step right in and be as good as Peters is, when he has a full camp.

So, why aren't teams falling all over themselves to trade for him?

Exactly. There are A LOT more D'Brickashaw Fergusons out there than Ryan Cladys. Most offensive tackles, even the ones picked in the first round, do not come into the NFL and make an immediately positive impact in their first season. Let alone play at a All-Pro level like Peters did in '07 and clearly has the potential to do for the next decade. Plus, other than Clady, the ones that do come right out of the gate and dominate NFL defensive ends are usually a top-5 pick in the draft (i.e. Joe Thomas).

Exactly. There are A LOT more D'Brickashaw Fergusons out there than Ryan Cladys. Most offensive tackles, even the ones picked in the first round, do not come into the NFL and make an immediately positive impact in their first season. Let alone play at a All-Pro level like Peters did in '07 and clearly has the potential to do for the next decade. Plus, other than Clady, the ones that do come right out of the gate and dominate NFL defensive ends are usually a top-5 pick in the draft (i.e. Joe Thomas).

I heard one of the annoucers on Sirius radio last night question why didn't the Bills get one of the Eagles' OL back like Winston Justice. I thought that was a point and now I'm wondering why they didn't either.

I heard one of the annoucers on Sirius radio last night question why didn't the Bills get one of the Eagles' OL back like Winston Justice. I thought that was a point and now I'm wondering why they didn't either.

they would then have too many OTs and would have to cut one of Chambers, Bell or Walker

not to mention that would take up a roster space from a DB or backup LB capable of only playing STs

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/19/...acks-last-year/

Read and Enjoy!

Well, now we know why former Bills tackle Jason Peters thought he was worth $10 million per year despite giving up 11.5 sack last season.

He didn’t know he gave up 11.5 sacks last season.

“That’s the first time I’ve heard that stat,” Peters said Sunday during his first press conference as a member of the Eagles. “I don’t recall giving up that many.

“If they charged me with that many, so what?” Peters said. “I’m an Eagle now. If I give up 11.5 sacks, I’m only human. I’m going to give 100 percent on every play.”

Of course, that thinking could apply to anyone who is paid $10 million per year to play left tackle at the NFL level.

Hell, even I could use it. Let’s give it a try.

“If I give up [insert total number of offensive snaps for the season] sacks, I’m only human. I’m going to give 100 percent on every play.”

Yep. It works. Where’s my bonus check?

Peters also seemed to admit that maybe he didn’t give 100 percent on every play last year because he wasn’t happy with his contract.

“I was thinking about it sometimes,” he said. “If you get beat on a play and you think about your contract. It doesn’t affect me that much. I thought about it some early in the year but later on in the year it wasn’t a big deal.”

So, Philly fans, if Peters ends up being not very good at left tackle, remember this as the moment when you first wondered whether it was a good idea to trade for him.

You called this one Tipster! It was all about the Benjamins. I don't think Peters is all that anyways. It sure make next Sat. more exciting.

Thanks Tonawanda Troy, I appreciate that.

While I believe that economics played a huge part, I also believe that the Bills truly did want to keep Peters but when you factor in the dollars that it would take to sign him AND his attitude with him possibily not giving it his all after signing, then I think that it was probably in our best interest to cut bait with this guy.