American Idol Roundup

John Adams

As usual, multimedia referred to in this post is at the link in my sig.

American Idol: At the movies. Quentin Tarantino in the house advising the contestants. Here's a preview from his new movie, which looks to kick ass.

Somehow Abigail, who is the nicest and sweetest person on the planet even sees the beauty in Quentin's violence.

Allison Iraheta. Don't want to miss a thing. Timing seems way off with the violins. By the time the chorus hits, she's rolling with that Allison energy. She has a few pitchy moments (a first for her) but the judges, sensing they owe her for some unfair weeks, are kind. Paula says Allison has the special sauce. Exsqueeze me? I think of something different when I hear that but maybe Paula is still in the two all beef patty special sauce lettuce cheese pickles onion on a sesame seed bun (yes sir!) zone.

Anoop Desai. Everything I do. His jacket is half suit, half Potsie. It's slow. Not challenging. But enjoyable. Sweetly melodic and fun. Judges liked it. I was not "wow"ed but he should live another week.

Adam Lambert. Born to be wild. Perfect song choice. His performances to date could be strung together into a best-selling video. The song ROCKS even more than normal. Adam pegs the energy needle. Simon thinks of something negative to say but I don't remember what it was or that it matters. Stellar is almost becoming mundane for Adam.

Matt Giraud. Have you ever really loved a woman. What the !@#$? Is this Bryan Adams night? Tarantino says he's a mush-mouth. Remember Mush Mouth?

I love Mush Mouth. From last week, I repeat: Matt is a killer piano player. Now that the blind dork is gone, maybe they will give him some props. (Nope--still ignoring his piano playing.) Song was OK--I mean, it's a lame song but he did well. Randy and Kara knock his performance and they are right: his changes screwed up the song a bit. He's at risk.

Returning to Bryan Adams, I think I listened to that Reckless album (I had it on cassette) a thousand times. I feel like I had some pressing crush on a girl to this song but can't remember who it was:

Danny Gokey. Endless love. No glasses--he has a slightly different look. 3 weeks in a row with slow songs, a choice I question. Tarintino gave him good advice on hand use but he didn't listen. (Advice was keep the hands at bay and let energy flow out through voice and eyes.) His BEST performance yet and that is saying a lot because he's been so good. Judges are lukewarm to him and challenge him to be original.

(Aside: Ryan's Randy impression appeals to my 7 year old daughter Nabby so it works for someone.)

Kris Allen. I don't know you. From "Once." Turn down background singer. One way we judge in the Adams house is how much we talk through a song. We talked through this entire performance. We were discussing tomorrow's lunch orders for 2 minutes and it didn't make us stop talking for even a second. Nabby likes carrot more than a rabbit.

[bugs Bunny baseball video]

(The greatest moment in baseball ever.)

Never heard of the song. Never heard of the movie. He could be gone.

Lil Rounds. The Rose. Timing is off but a good song choice for her. Nothing terrible about it but as usual, she's a disappointment. She argues with Simon but if she didn't suck, she wouldn't be in this position. This should be her week to go.

Top: Lambert and Gokey.

Bottom: Allen and Rounds.

The song from once is called "Falling Slowly", and it's a GREAT song from a GREAT little film. It was also my favorite performance of the night, with Anoop a close second. Adam didn't do anything for me this week...just a bunch of high-pitched screaming and running around. Allison was good, not great. Danny was a little better than good, a little better than not great. Matt was off his game, and Lil just plain needs to go.

Nice review Mr. Adams. Here's my 2 cents...

Anoop--I think he did enough to stick around for another week. The song was boring, but he really sang it well.

Adam--I thought he was a little over the top. When I heard the song he singing, I thought it could be a train wreck. But he did a decent job, although it was not one of his better weeks.

Lil--She is not really listening to the judges or she is misunderstanding them. That was a pretty bad performance and I think she'll be in the bottom tonight.

Kris--I liked it. It's a really good song, but not too well known and he sang it well.

Allison--Wasn't impressed, but she did a decent job. I don't think Simon went out on a limb stating that she was the girls only chance.

Danny--With his raspy voice he should be doing a Bob Seger, Gregg Almann, or some kind of southern rock song or something and pick up the pace. I think he could bring down the house with something like that. But the dude is putting me to sleep lately.

Matt--He's was good, but the song sucked.

Bottom 3...Lil, Matt, and Anoop...Matt gets lowest number of votes, but judges use the save...

The biggest problem with Idol last night: I don't associate most of those songs immediately with a movie. The song from Armageddon? The song from Robin Hood? Jesus H. people. If you pick a song that is clearly from a movie (that is actually GOOD), you get all the goodwill from the movie along with the song.

Adam: Staying Alive. (Or Jail House Rock...either one with era-appropriate attire)

Gokey: Danger Zone.

Anoop: Old Time Rock and Roll (in costume, or maybe with tear away pants?). Maybe I like to move it move it (I kid I kid)

Lil Rounds: Reflection (the Mulan song)

Allison: What a Feeling (the Flashdance song)

Kris Allen: Mrs. Robinson

Matt Giraud. ?

That list of songs would have slayed last night.

My 2 cents...

If Adam was to be voted off now... he'd get a contract instantly and be bigger than the winner of American Idol

Can't happen, AI has these individuals under contract (at least the top 10, not sure about the others) for something like a year after the competition ends. It's a nice little money maker they've got going...

Are you crazy?! B-)

Sorry cablelady, I agree with pBills.

IMO I think Adam is overrated. He's 75% Showoff and 25% Talent.

As far as rockers who have competed on Idol before, Adam is nowhere near the talent level of Daughtry, or Bo Bice for that matter.

What was up with the judges only getting to speak about every other singer. My 2 primary reasons to watch the show are to hear Paula struggle to form a sentence and then Simon hitting homeruns with his reviews.

Are you telling me the director can't figure out how to bring the show in on time?

Are you telling me the director can't figure out how to bring the show in on time?

They have so much fluff that they could have cut before cutting the judges critiques. How about you don't spend 5 minutes introducing the judges and don't spend 5 minutes explaining why you have to only do 2 judges at a time? There is your extra 10 minutes.

Nice review Mr. Adams. Here's my 2 cents...

Anoop--I think he did enough to stick around for another week. The song was boring, but he really sang it well.

Adam--I thought he was a little over the top. When I heard the song he singing, I thought it could be a train wreck. But he did a decent job, although it was not one of his better weeks.

Lil--She is not really listening to the judges or she is misunderstanding them. That was a pretty bad performance and I think she'll be in the bottom tonight.

Kris--I liked it. It's a really good song, but not too well known and he sang it well.

Allison--Wasn't impressed, but she did a decent job. I don't think Simon went out on a limb stating that she was the girls only chance.

Danny--With his raspy voice he should be doing a Bob Seger, Gregg Almann, or some kind of southern rock song or something and pick up the pace. I think he could bring down the house with something like that. But the dude is putting me to sleep lately.

Matt--He's was good, but the song sucked.

Bottom 3...Lil, Matt, and Anoop...Matt gets lowest number of votes, but judges use the save...

:thumbsup:

Sorry cablelady, I agree with pBills.

IMO I think Adam is overrated. He's 75% Showoff and 25% Talent.

As far as rockers who have competed on Idol before, Adam is nowhere near the talent level of Daughtry, or Bo Bice for that matter.

I agree. I think Adam is great. But I must have listened to a 1/2 dozen indy metal bands when I was a kid with lead singers with similar pipes.

Adam's problem is going to be likeability; everyone concedes he's good, but I don't think people love him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gokey wins the whole thing, even though I'd rate Kris Allen, Adam, and Allison as better singers. Everyone likes Gokey, and he's consistently good.

Gokey and Chris are just...blah. I like Matt more than either of them. Lil should have been booted a couple of weeks ago, Allison IMO despite the praises of the judges has not been as good the last couple of weeks. Anoop sucks.

Adam(and a slight possibility of Allison) is the only hope out of the remaining 7 to become a recording superstar.