RIP Mark Fidrych

WTF!?!? Can really cool people please stop dying today?

link

RIP to the Bird. Great talent and by all accounts a great person who handled his rapid rise and fall as well as anyone could expect. Back when Monday Night Baseball was almost on par with MNF, his game vs. the Yankees with Howard announcing was one of baseball's great memories.

24 complete games as a rookie. 24! :devil:

The second big league game I ever saw was because of Mark Fidrych.

In the summer of 1976, I convinced my dad to take me to see the Tigers play the Indians at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. I was seven years old, and "The Bird" was my favorite pitcher.

It was on a Saturday afternoon. 47,000 people, a huge crowd for 1976 in Cleveland, showed up to see the Tigers beat the Tribe, 5-4. Fidrych started that day and was the winning pitcher for Detroit.

I remember the crush being bad enough at the Rapid station downtown (at Terminal Tower) that my dad had to put me on his shoulders so I wouldn't get separated from him.

It is a good memory of mine. In fact, I just got off the phone with Dad talking about it.

RIP, Mark. :lol:

EDIT: I actually found the box score for that game. I got the attendance wrong (it was 37,405) and Fidrych started, but didn't pitch long enough to win (4 1/3 innings).