Harry Kalas RIP

John Adams

Wow, RIP Harry.

I was at the Rockies/Phillies game yesterday in Denver. At one point I looked up at the Phillies broadcast booth and wondered if Harry Kalas was in the booth announcing the game. (I obviously didn't know he had collapsed earlier in the week.)

Again, RIP Harry, you were a treat to listen to and the pleasure was all ours.

I was at the Rockies/Phillies game yesterday in Denver. At one point I looked up at the Phillies broadcast booth and wondered if Harry Kalas was in the booth announcing the game. (I obviously didn't know he had collapsed earlier in the week.)

He died suddenly today so when you looked up there, he was working.

I've been a Phillies fan for 30+ years now. When I was a kid, I could get the broadcasts after the sun went down by holding onto the radio dial and putting my foot on the refrigerator. (1210 WCAU was a pretty strong radio station to make it all the way to Olean.) Listening to Harry, Richie Ashburn, Andy Musser & Chris Wheeler was fun even when the Phillies weren't really Phightin'.

I guess that my childhood is now completely over.

"Swing and a long drive to left. There it is! Number 500! The career 500th homerun for MICHAEL JACK SCHMIDT!!!"

RIP Harry :devil:

I've been a Phillies fan for 30+ years now. When I was a kid, I could get the broadcasts after the sun went down by holding onto the radio dial and putting my foot on the refrigerator. (1210 WCAU was a pretty strong radio station to make it all the way to Olean.) Listening to Harry, Richie Ashburn, Andy Musser & Chris Wheeler was fun even when the Phillies weren't really Phightin'.

I guess that my childhood is now completely over.

"Swing and a long drive to left. There it is! Number 500! The career 500th homerun for MICHAEL JACK SCHMIDT!!!"

RIP Harry :devil:

Wheeler & Andersen sound (understandably) so, so sad. Very difficult to listen to.

IMO, today's game should've been cancelled

Very sad to hear this....I grew up in Philly, and started watching the Phillies soon after he started broadcasting them. He and Richie Ashburn were second to none as a broadcasting pair!

You'll be missed, Harry - may the Phils repeat in your honor!

He died suddenly today so when you looked up there, he was working.

I realized that after I read other feature articles about him. In typical Yahoo fashion, they totally botched the details making it sound like he was ill for a week or more.

Knowing that Sunday was his last game, seems even more surreal to me now... :devil:

RIP Mr. Kalas, it's among my fondest memories as a child that I remember hearing your radio broadcasts all the way up in the far reaches of WNY on clear summer evenings.