Whitner's Salary

This has nothing to do with his recent arrest. I was just looking at the bills salary a number that stuck out to me is that Donte Whitner is making 5.05 mill a year. Is he really worth that?? Think what that 5 mill could get us if we used it elsewhere. One more salary is Kelsays 5.6 mill. What were we thinking when we signed these guys?????

This has nothing to do with his recent arrest. I was just looking at the bills salary a number that stuck out to me is that Donte Whitner is making 5.05 mill a year. Is he really worth that?? Think what that 5 mill could get us if we used it elsewhere. One more salary is Kelsays 5.6 mill. What were we thinking when we signed these guys?????

And people wonder why Jason Peters is upset. :thumbsup:

They were probably thinking, "Damn, we have to get to the cap minimum somehow, Mr. Littmann."

"Yeah, it's the rules of the CBA. We have to get up to the minimum somehow."

"Ok, ok. Toss a wheelbarrow of cash at ...", throws a dart at the wall, "Yeah, that high-motor kid. What the heck."

Does he sign up then show up for mock drafts?

Then Peters should have found a way to have been a player in college to get himself drafted. :thumbsup:

Indeed... but instead, he decided to wait a little bit and become a premier left tackle. It bugs me that this team is willing to shell out for players like Dockery, Whitner and Kelsay... but when a top-tier talent is ready to get paid, they hesitate.

Donte is not making 5 mil a year. His salary last year was $2,734,500.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...amp;player=4325

http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/Buffalo-Bills-Salaries

http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/20...ry_cap_page.php

Donte's cap hit for 2009 is 4.9 million but that includes bonuses alredyd paid for being drafted $8 overall.

Ask Marv Levy. He oversaw the front office when these moves were made and signed off on them as GM. Or so we're told.

Marv was a fine coach but utterly overmatched as a GM. As time goes by, those two years set the franchise back more than we thought. Even though it's not a guarantee to success, having a GM from the personnel ranks is what all good franchises have. And Buffalo doesn't.

Very overrated. Sammy Morris ran the guy over for Christ sake. And we won't pay Peters and want to trade Roscoe? Please. Whitner's done nothing. Move him to FS - get him further from the ball so it's less evident that he does nothing. I'm continually amazed at what people actually see and don't see when they watch a game. This guy does not make plays.

Ask Marv Levy. He oversaw the front office when these moves were made and signed off on them as GM. Or so we're told.

Marv was a fine coach but utterly overmatched as a GM. As time goes by, those two years set the franchise back more than we thought. Even though it's not a guarantee to success, having a GM from the personnel ranks is what all good franchises have. And Buffalo doesn't.

Stop. you post the same think every day. You hate Marv as GM. We get it. But you never point out all the good moves Marv has done. Traded a very average back in Willis for 2 3rds and a 5th. That is a huge trade in this market. With those picks, we picked Trent who maybe a franchise QB and used those picks to trade for Stroud. He also drafted guys like Kyle Williams, Brad Butler, Lynch (pro bowler), Whitner, Poz who are all around 25 and solid to good starters.

Additionally, he locked up Peters to what was a really good deal at the time. And though dockery failed, he still was part of a unit that allowed a franchise record for fewest sacks in a season. Plus, Walker has proven to be a very good pick up. so it's always easy to just B word. Marv missed at times but he also did some very good things as well. Half full.

Once we drafted Whitner, we were pretty much going to pay him what he got - it's not a re-signing or a UFA deal where we really had flexibility to negotiate, it was a draft pick. Or in other words, we had all but 7 players in the 2006 draft poll to give this contract to, and we chose Whitner. Of the reasonable choices, I'd say he's probably maybe the 3rd or 4th best choice. That's not terrible, and he's definitely better than the safeties drafted before and after him.

What is funny is that the Bills neglected to extend Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements, and Jabari Greer and they will probably extend Whitner if he has at least a so so season this upcoming year. I'm not talking about signing these guys once they hit FA, but the bills never had the foresight to sign these solid starters w/ a couple of years left on their contract to a fair deal for both sides. All 3 cornerbacks could have been signed to much more reasonable deals for the Bills had they been extended with a year or 2 left on their contract. I'm sure a guy like Greer would have jumped on a 5 year - $20 million extension last offseason, but the Bills were 1 year too late with their offer. And while I think the Florence signing was decent, I do not think he is half the player Greer was or will be.

That has been the biggest problem facing this franchise the last decade. The true difference makers simply walk out the door after their first contract expires for the most part. The players that get the extensions always seem to be the middle of the road valuable (aka cheap) starters like Roscoe Parrish, Brad Butler, Chris Kelsay, and Ryan Denney. Notice I didn't include Terrence McGee because that was actually a solid move by the front office to retain an upper-echelon starter. Then what happens is they slightly overpay for average starters (Langston Walker & Chris Kelsay) so the better starters demand more money (Aaron Schobel and Jason Peters). Schobel actually got his extension, which in hindsight was a horrendous deal for the Bills. It just seems that our front office has lacked a long term vision for the success of this team. They need to do a better job of evaluating talent and locking that talent up prior to contract years, plain and simple.