Trent Edwards

Like who? Leftwich has a career record of below .500, and what would Garcia teach him? To run around and make ill-advised plays that somehow work out? If 2005 Vinny Testaverde was around I'd be all for it, but he wasn't.

There's something to be said about a QB who has many years of starting under his belt, understands the dynamics of the position and has won big games. The benefits shouldn't be marginalized. Fitzpatrick to me is another Gibran Hamdan. We already have one, why bring in another?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed but I alos think Fitz probably knows a hell of a lot about the game of football. It will be a big advantage over having a bitter, not helping, lack of defense reading backup we had last year.

Our OC was a quarterback and our QB coach was a back-up QB known mostly for his ability to help out other QBs. We don't need our back-up QB to help Trent much with what he is seeing on the field. Fitz is the kind of back-up QB you can rely on to play a half a game, not a half a season. Garcia and Leftwich are the half a season kind of back-ups. We don't have one of them. If Trent goes down for any length of time, we are pretty much screwed.

There's something to be said about a QB who has many years of starting under his belt, understands the dynamics of the position and has won big games. The benefits shouldn't be marginalized. Fitzpatrick to me is another Gibran Hamdan. We already have one, why bring in another?

It would have been great to get a veteran QB who would be a good mentor to Trent. Unfortunately, I'm not sure any were available, this offseason. I think the choice was between brain-dead lumps, like Leftwich, or quirky guys like Garcia who are more interested in starting, than mentoring another QB.

I have a feeling Fitzpatrick will make the ideal #2 for the Bills. By all accounts he is extremely intelligent, he doesn't seem to have a huge ego, will be prepared and ready to play, and has plenty of experience behind center, after last year (far more than Hamdan). He has had the opportunity to play with one of the better young QBs in the game, too. I see him as a Frank Reich at best, an Alex Van Pelt at worst. Either way, I think he will be able to help Trent by observation and communication.

Our OC was a quarterback and our QB coach was a back-up QB known mostly for his ability to help out other QBs. We don't need our back-up QB to help Trent much with what he is seeing on the field. Fitz is the kind of back-up QB you can rely on to play a half a game, not a half a season. Garcia and Leftwich are the half a season kind of back-ups. We don't have one of them. If Trent goes down for any length of time, we are pretty much screwed.

Our OC was a quarterback who was a perennial backup who has never played in a big NFL game.

Our QB coach was a 3rd string QB who could barely play at an NFL level. He has no idea what it's like to lead a team to a wining season.

Gibran is a journeyman and will be out of the league in a few years.

A winning quarterback, one who has played in and won big games would be helpful to Trent, as long as he knows his role as a backup.

It would have been great to get a veteran QB who would be a good mentor to Trent. Unfortunately, I'm not sure any were available, this offseason. I think the choice was between brain-dead lumps, like Leftwich, or quirky guys like Garcia who are more interested in starting, than mentoring another QB.

I have a feeling Fitzpatrick will make the ideal #2 for the Bills. By all accounts he is extremely intelligent, he doesn't seem to have a huge ego, will be prepared and ready to play, and has plenty of experience behind center, after last year (far more than Hamdan). He has had the opportunity to play with one of the better young QBs in the game, too. I see him as a Frank Reich at best, an Alex Van Pelt at worst. Either way, I think he will be able to help Trent by observation and communication.

We want Ryan Fitzpatrick to be an Alex Van Pelt kind of guy when Alex Van Pelt himself is standing right next to him tapping him on the shoulder? :devil:

Our OC was a quarterback who was a perennial backup who has never played in a big NFL game.

Our QB coach was a 3rd string QB who could barely play at an NFL level. He has no idea what it's like to lead a team to a wining season.

Gibran is a journeyman and will be out of the league in a few years.

A winning quarterback, one who has played in and won big games would be helpful to Trent, as long as he knows his role as a backup.

You do realize that I was arguing for a Leftwich or Garcia instead of a Ryan Fitpatrick, don't you? :devil:

Although frankly, I don't think telling another QB how to win big games because you have won big games does any good for anyone.

We want Ryan Fitzpatrick to be an Alex Van Pelt kind of guy when Alex Van Pelt himself is standing right next to him tapping him on the shoulder? :devil:

Yes. But, I'd prefer he be a Frank Reich.

Everybody knows the Bucs were a great organization held back by their QBs. Doug Williams, Steve Young, and Trent Dilfer were the reason the Bucs sucked (and, yes, I know all 3 of those guys own Super Bowl rings). It wasn't until a stud QB like Brad Johnson (and, yes, he looked "super" in Dallas last year) came to Tampa that they could get over the hump and win a Lombardi of their own.

You do realize that I was arguing for a Leftwich or Garcia instead of a Ryan Fitpatrick, don't you? :devil:

Although frankly, I don't think telling another QB how to win big games because you have won big games does any good for anyone.

Yeah I was agreeing with you <_<

Having a quarterback who knows his role and has won big games would be a big help for Trent. He played college at a losing program, he is coached by former QBs who barely played, and his current backup (Gibran) is yet another journeyman. Maybe Fitz will surprise, but I just felt that either Garcia or Leftwich would have been the better call here, even if it was just a one-year deal.

Actually, I'd be happy if he could just fold up into a fetal position without dropping the ball when the jail breaks start happening after Trent, presumably, goes down.

Everybody knows the Bucs were a great organization held back by their QBs. Doug Williams, Steve Young, and Trent Dilfer were the reason the Bucs sucked (and, yes, I know all 3 of those guys own Super Bowl rings). It wasn't until a stud QB like Brad Johnson (and, yes, he looked "super" in Dallas last year) came to Tampa that they could get over the hump and win a Lombardi of their own.

Except Brad Johnson was a pretty darn good player and a Pro Bowl quarterback before he even came to the Bucs. And was a Pro Bowler on the Bucs, too.

Yeah I was agreeing with you :devil:

Having a quarterback who knows his role and has won big games would be a big help for Trent. He played college at a losing program, he is coached by former QBs who barely played, and his current backup (Gibran) is yet another journeyman. Maybe Fitz will surprise, but I just felt that either Garcia or Leftwich would have been the better call here, even if it was just a one-year deal.

Name one quality starting QB who was a good teacher.

Yeah I was agreeing with you :devil:

I don't think that Leftwich or Garcia would "know their role" though. I think both of them would think they would be a better starter throwing the ball to Lee Evans and Terrel Owens, etc, than Trent would be. About the only good thing about having Fitz there is that Trent won't be looking over his shoulder.

Not that I think any quarterback anywhere with anyone on the sidelines should be looking over his shoulder.

Except Brad Johnson was a pretty darn good player and a Pro Bowl quarterback before he even came to the Bucs. And was a Pro Bowler on the Bucs, too.

He was an All Pro on a team that won the Super Bowl and an All Pro laying the ball out for Randy Moss to run under. Twice in a 15 year career. (I'm not saying Brad sucks. But, he is far from a great QB that carried teams on his arm to the promised land.)

He was an All Pro on a team that won the Super Bowl and an All Pro laying the ball out for Randy Moss to run under. Twice in a 15 year career. (I'm not saying Brad sucks. But, he is far from a great QB that carried teams on his arm to the promised land.)

True. I just thought he was a pretty darn good player for a lot of years. And far better than the Trent Dilfer type that won Super Bowls by just managing to not screw up.

hahahahaha, come on C. Biscuit...he wasnt a first round pick because he DIDNT win a game his senior year and never had a single healthy season...it had nothing to do with Stanford...

In fact, if he went to say UCLA or some other big football school and did NOT win a game like he did at Stanford his senior year, then he would not have even been drafted...the fact he played at Stanford which isnt known as a football power house allowed him to be not only be drafted but be drafted in the 3rd round...

A goose egg at a football powerhouse and he would have said bye bye to the draft

You are one stupid son of a B word. Ever actually watch TE's Stanford team? I didn't think so. But if you had, you would realize he had all of about 2.3 seconds per play to get rid of the ball before he was hit, in the pond water PAC-10. Dan Marino couldn't have won at Stanford. Just keep your ignorant yap quiet already.

#1 overall pick Jamarcus Russel

#22 overall pick Brady Quinn

#40 overall pick John Beck

#43 overall pick Drew Stanton

#92 overall pick Trent Edwards

#103 overall pick Isiah Stanback

#151 overall pick Jeff rowe

#174 overall pick Troy Smith

#205 overall pick Jordan Palmer

If Trent Edwards is a bust, then these guys must be contemplating suicide

Wow, is that the QB list from the 2007 Draft? I think that Edwards looks better than Russell right now and Quinn though, since I'm a Fighting Irish homer :devil: , I think Quinn will end up with the best NFL career of the group.

You are one stupid son of a B word. Ever actually watch TE's Stanford team? I didn't think so. But if you had, you would realize he had all of about 2.3 seconds per play to get rid of the ball before he was hit, in the pond water PAC-10. Dan Marino couldn't have won at Stanford. Just keep your ignorant yap quiet already.

Uh oh. I'm afraid that may inspire the wrath of a certain former PAC-10 linebacker.

I wish you luck.

GO BILLS!!!