Anyone Own A VW Beetle

dpbillsfan

My wife wants to buy a VW Beetle Convertible and I'm strongly opposed by going off the reviews I've read online thru Edmunds. Starting back in 2005 and reading thru 2008 they are horrible, but I'm being the bad guy by telling her this. :flirt:

Anyone have an experience with one?

I'd never buy a VW because of the electrical problems they always seem to have. I"ve read bad things about them, and a couple of coworkers have had Passats and they've always had silly electrical issues.

My wife wants to buy a VW Beetle Convertible and I'm strongly opposed by going off the reviews I've read online thru Edmunds. Starting back in 2005 and reading thru 2008 they are horrible, but I'm being the bad guy by telling her this. :flirt:

A wife? Not yet, but I've been advised against it.

A wife? Not yet, but I've been advised against it.

:thumbsup::ph34r:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Anyway, since I have never been married, let me share my expert advice. :blink::thumbsup:

Is the car for her? If so, share your opinion, give her some objective info to look over for the Beetle, anything else she might be interested in...and then let her decide for herself. If you campaign against the Beetle and talk her out of it...well let me just say, it doesn't seem as though that puts you in advantageous situation for when the sh-- hits the fan, on another topic, sometime later...maybe much later. And, also, because it's her car. :flirt:

I have a 2001.....not a single problem, I have just done the usual like breaks, tires, headlight bulbs etc. Can't speak for the newer ones but I have been extremely happy with mine.

I just bought a 2003 Beetle for my daughter. I was concerned about the reviews also. If you look at 100 reviews you find an even split between the worst car and the best car they ever owned. Consumer Reports also rate them at the bottom on reliability.

The carfax report on the car I bought listed all of the service that was done at VW dealers. Mostly oil changes and scheduled maintenance. I called the dealers listed and they faxed me the records of all of the work that they did on the car.

I bought a 36 month/38,000 mile warranty for about $1300. This way, I'm covered if it turns out to have problems.

I also plan to use synthetic oil and at least 89 octane gas, which are both recommended. I plan to properly maintain it and keep my fingers crossed.

BTW, she LOVES the car.

Most women buy cars because they're "cute" or they love the yada, yada, yada. They don't give a crap about the mechanics or reliability of said car. As Deano pointed out it's probably better to just let her have her way. Play it up though so you get some sugar when you cave. Odds are that if it does have problems down the road she'll say something like; "We never should have gotten that car." After she says that you'll go to the basement and :wacko:

Most women buy cars because they're "cute" or they love the yada, yada, yada. They don't give a crap about the mechanics or reliability of said car. As Deano pointed out it's probably better to just let her have her way. Play it up though so you get some sugar when you cave. Odds are that if it does have problems down the road she'll say something like; "We never should have gotten that car." After she says that you'll go to the basement and :wacko:

I feel like doing this right now :wacko: and haven't even gotten the car yet. Yes it's her car. I sure don't want to have to play the "told you so" card later. I've been assured that I will be the best Husband in the world if we get the car. <_<

I feel like doing this right now :wacko: and haven't even gotten the car yet. Yes it's her car. I sure don't want to have to play the "told you so" card later. I've been assured that I will be the best Husband in the world if we get the car. :wacko:

Being the "I told you so" guy is a choice you make, and I advise against it, under any circumstance here. But, if you deny her, her choice of a car, you might be "the douche who wouldn't let me have a car HE didn't like", and you will have little choice about that.

The "new Beetle" is pretty much a Golf underneath, which is a solid platform. I'm not a fan of the car but it's a pretty solid setup.

Just don't be like the (recent NC transplant) woman I work with. SHe blew out both wiper motors on a Passat by not brushing off the snow before she ran the wipers during a blizzard.

My wife wanted a used Saturn, against my judgment. I relinquished because it was her car and she'd be driving it. 13 years later she's still driving it. Almost no major problems (last year we spent a little in repairs). One of the better decisions I made - to let her buy the car she wanted. Now she really needs a new car, I want to get her a new car; but she says no... this is my car (we've been having that discussion for about 3 years).

My advice, if it fits the budget, let it go.

My best friends wife wanted to by a Beetle about 5 years ago. I baught her Honda Accord from her, and she got her 2004 Beetle...she, my buddy, the Beetle and the Honda are all doing fine...they love the car, other than the size limitations...altough, I have to admit, the new ones don't feel as small from the inside...