If this draft isn't as rich in talent as other past drafts, then

I'm not suggesting to trade most or our 1st and 2nd rders but some of our picks for a couple of veteran players from other teams? New England has made quite a successful program with veteran players and we have a decent core of players. Adding a couple of key players could make a big difference in our success IMO.

If TE Tony Scheffler is valued somewheres around a 4th rder then I believe that this would be a great addition for us. I also think that Green Bay's DL Aaron Kampman can be had for the right value. I would think that a 3rd or 4th rder might be sufficent. They are changing from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 and he might not be effective in this scheme. If Parrish is expendable and we get a 3rd or 4th rder for him then I'd be all for this trade off.

I thought this draft was supposed to be quite deep (at certain positions, as H2o notes). What I'm hearing is there aren't many "elite" players at some of those positions, who are head-and-shoulders better than the others. I think it's a tough draft to be picking high in the first round, with the exception for a very few players.

I'm not suggesting to trade most or our 1st and 2nd rders but some of our picks for a couple of veteran players from other teams? New England has made quite a successful program with veteran players and we have a decent core of players. Adding a couple of key players could make a big difference in our success IMO.

If TE Tony Scheffler is valued somewheres around a 4th rder then I believe that this would be a great addition for us. I also think that Green Bay's DL Aaron Kampman can be had for the right value. I would think that a 3rd or 4th rder might be sufficent. They are changing from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 and he might not be effective in this scheme. If Parrish is expendable and we get a 3rd or 4th rder for him then I'd be all for this trade off.

I see alot about Kampman making the switch to outside LB in Green Bay. However I have saw nothing on what the Broncos are going to do with Dummerville. I could be wrong but isnt Denver also switching to a 3-4?

A lot depends on your timeline for success. If the 0 for the millineum playoff drought, a desire to have the most effective pass attack you can in 09 because this is the 1 year T.O is guaranteed to be here, there is a desire to protect Edwards blindside with a vet rather than have him take the risk of a rookie (even a great one drafted will still be a rookie learning the pro game) protecting him, or if you want to macimize the chances of Ralph being alive then you value vets over rookies.

If on the other hand you know that while the draft is not the only thing essential for building a winner it is almost certainly that several years of good drafting (usually starting with several years of drafting solid first day guys in the trenches) the team should devote itself to fortifying the draft.

For this fan, the draft is a very cool thing, but the future is now and I have no problem trading draft picks for vets for this team right now.

Either way the key is to be good at picking the players.

I see alot about Kampman making the switch to outside LB in Green Bay. However I have saw nothing on what the Broncos are going to do with Dummerville. I could be wrong but isnt Denver also switching to a 3-4?

No, you're absolutely correct, Denver is switching to the 3-4 also. I read a little something a few weeks back and they're fine with Dummerville, they like his speed a lot. It's Jarvis Moss that might be an odd fit for them and I actually posted about that. I'm trying to keep tabs on that situation, maybe during the draft something breaks loose over there.

No, you're absolutely correct, Denver is switching to the 3-4 also. I read a little something a few weeks back and they're fine with Dummerville, they like his speed a lot. It's Jarvis Moss that might be an odd fit for them and I actually posted about that. I'm trying to keep tabs on that situation, maybe during the draft something breaks loose over there.

The entire league is switching to the 3-4 meanwhile the Bills are living in yesteryear with an outdated and poorly constructed version of the cover 2, are there any teams utilising the cover-2 anymore? Chicago maybe?

So did Cleveland last year. Here's another player/team to keep an eye on. They traded for DT Corey Williams last year when they switched defenses and he had a terrible year. Ex-GM Phil Savage made this trade and now he is gone. Mangini has no commitment or obligation to Williams and has gone on record as saying that just about everyone on the roster is available for the right compensation. Williams was great when he was in Green Bay playing in a 4-3 defense.

For this fan, the draft is a very cool thing, but the future is now and I have no problem trading draft picks for vets for this team right now.

Either way the key is to be good at picking the players.

I enjoy the draft as well, but it's wrong to expect the first and second rounders to come in and contribute right away. Few rookies do that, especially at certain positions. Every season the Bills need their top picks to come in and contribute. I wouldn't be averse to trading a 3rd or 4th, but unless something big comes up, trading away first day picks isn't what winning teams do. Ask Washington about that.

Buffalo needs to rely more on Modrak and Nix than people like Brandon who aren't personnel people.

I just find it funny that after three complete seasons of rebuilding Buffalo still needs impact players. I guess the plan is over four years, not three, to getting a good team on the field.

I believe Scheffler will also be looking for a new contract

I believe Scheffler will also be looking for a new contract

don't worry - the Bills will talk about a new contract after he plays a season and shows he is really, really good.

Scheffler may have other ideas - but he is under contract, so he is out of luck