Republican Tea Bagging is sweeping the nation!

You keep thinking that this is all just a silly little fluke.

I'm quite sure that there is real anger and anguish over the fact that Obama and the Democrats were chosen by the majority of voters to lead the country after Karl Rove's attempt to establish a permanent Republican majority failed. But the fact remains that they represent a minority of voters, maybe as much as 30%, but still a clear minority, while the majority of Americans continue to support Obama and his policies, knowing that he is working to fix the problems created before he was elected. I wonder where all this anger over government and spending was when Bush and the Republican majority were creating record deficits, and putting our children further in debt by not paying for the spending, and not vetoing any spending bills. Where were the protests then? But of course this Teabagger movement is a catch-all for anybody who doesn't like Obama or his policies, while not offering any viable alternatives for getting the country out of the current economic problems, other than more of the same failed policies of the last 8 years. But feel free to continue to teabag, it's great entertainment in-between the Palin family follies and cranky Cheney.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite sure that there is real anger and anguish over the fact that Obama and the Democrats were chosen by the majority of voters to lead the country after Karl Rove's attempt to establish a permanent Republican majority failed. But the fact remains that they represent a minority of voters, maybe as much as 30%, but still a clear minority, while the majority of Americans continue to support Obama and his policies, knowing that he is working to fix the problems created before he was elected. I wonder where all this anger over government and spending was when Bush and the Republican majority were creating record deficits, and putting our children further in debt by not paying for the spending, and not vetoing any spending bills. Where were the protests then? But of course this Teabagger movement is a catch-all for anybody who doesn't like Obama or his policies, while not offering any viable alternatives for getting the country out of the current economic problems, other than more of the same failed policies of the last 8 years. But feel free to continue to teabag, it's great entertainment in-between the Palin family follies and cranky Cheney.

Speaking of elections...this may be another thread but I am surprised not to see much (or any) discussion regarding those states that are quietly enacting legislation that would compel their Electoral votes to go to the winner of the popular vote... interesting. I presume by "winner of the popular vote" it means in their particular state, clearly casting votes for the winner of the overall national popular vote would be subverting the will of the people if the particular state went for the erstwhile loser...?

I have not seen this legislation, I believe it has already passed in 4 states (Hawaii...IL....NJ....? somewhere else) and is under consideration in WA.

I am not sure whether this is good, bad, or indifferent, but would certainly like to know more about it. Is it a yawner or is it really flying that low under the radar?

I think the mistake the left is making is in thinking this is going to go away because it's just a bunch of jealous Republicans. Despite what you hear from Rachel Madcow, Nancy Pelosi, Keith Olbermann, and whatever chick is holding a mic for CNN these days, these parties comprised people from all political groups. Yes, it was heavily concentrated with conservatives, but there were still large numbers of registered Independents, Libertarians and, yes, Democrats. What is being missed in the larger picture is simply that conservatives like myself are finally rebuilding a foundation on which to possibly return Republicans to the core of their principals. It's a start. No one at any of the protesters though they were going to wake up the next day and find the world has changed. The job now is to get rid of the incumbents in both the house and senate, on both sides of the aisle, and hopefully replace them with people who are more fiscally conservative, believe in less government, and can better embrace and understand the core of the Constitution.

But keep calling all the protesters Teabaggers. And keep telling us how the "state of Lincoln" is getting $50 billion in stimulus money. Nothing helps our cause more than being mocked by people who think Duke Preston is the answer simply because Melvin Fowler sucked more.

What the hell is wrong with promoting the rallies? There's a difference between coming up with the idea and promoting it. If you really don't think the government is out of control you're in the minority. The only branch that has decent approval rating is the Executive and that's because he just so damn likable :wallbash: We've got a problem with our governments and we're the only ones that can change it.

Sure. It's just awfully fishy that these people waited until now to express their anger. They'd have a bit more credibility if they held these rally's last year, and also they weren't holding up racist signs about the president.

Nothing to see here, move along. Just another whacked out loony liberal spewing her ignorance. :wallbash:

Liberal actress and political activist Janeane Garofalo, in all seriousness, said activists who attended tea parties are racists with dysfunctional brains in a recent prime-time television appearance.

"Let's be very honest about what this is about. This is not about bashing Democrats. It's not about taxes. They have no idea what the Boston Tea party was about. They don't know their history at all. It's about hating a black man in the White House," she said on MSNBC's "The Countdown" with Keith Olbermann Thursday evening. "This is racism straight up and is nothing but a bunch of teabagging rednecks. There is no way around that."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/bac...es-were-racist/

Sure. It's just awfully fishy that these people waited until now to express their anger. They'd have a bit more credibility if they held these rally's last year, and also they weren't holding up racist signs about the president.

Why would they have more credibility if they did it last year? Ohhhhh, more credibilty in your mind. I'm sure that's very important to them.

Another outstanding contribution whose value can not be measured. Keep up the good work! :wallbash:

I hope that my 'tude isn't dissuading you from sharing more anecdotes from your Tea Bagging experience. Actually, I still have a ton of questions for you-What did your sign(s) say? What were you wearing? Breeches? A wool waistcoat? A haversack? Did you express your disapproval of reckless government spending by bedecking yourself with tea bags? Did you honk your horn at noon just like "Thomas Paine" asked you to? How did your body respond to being exposed to sunlight for longer than five minutes? Did you make friends with any fellow kooks and if so have you made plans to meet up and shake your fists at the sky again?

I hope that my 'tude isn't dissuading you from sharing more anecdotes from your Tea Bagging experience. Actually, I still have a ton of questions for you-What did your sign(s) say? What were you wearing? Breeches? A wool waistcoat? A haversack? Did you express your disapproval of reckless government spending by bedecking yourself with tea bags? Did you honk your horn at noon just like "Thomas Paine" asked you to? How did your body respond to being exposed to sunlight for longer than five minutes? Did you make friends with any fellow kooks and if so have you made plans to meet up and shake your fists at the sky again?

Let me ask you a question. Are you happy the way the government is being run and are you satisfied with the job the people are doing that we've elected to run that government?

Let me ask you a question. Are you happy the way the government is being run and are you satisfied with the job the people are doing that we've elected to run that government?

Happy isn't the right word, a better word would be relieved and confident that there are now competent people with the right policies in the White House to move this country forward positively on a number of fronts (economic, foreign policy, social issues). And I'm satisfied with the people in government that I voted for, I can't say the same for some that others have voted for. Some of the Democrats in the House are trying to push Obama too far to the left, and the Repubs offer no viable alternatives and are more interested in partisan politics than working with Obama. Fortunately he's been taking the middle road that most voters support. I'll be happy when the economy finally recovers.

Happy isn't the right word, a better word would be relieved and confident that there are now competent people with the right policies in the White House to move this country forward positively on a number of fronts (economic, foreign policy, social issues). And I'm satisfied with the people in government that I voted for, I can't say the same for some that others have voted for. Some of the Democrats in the House are trying to push Obama too far to the left, and the Repubs offer no viable alternatives and are more interested in partisan politics than working with Obama. Fortunately he's been taking the middle road that most voters support. I'll be happy when the economy finally recovers.

There isn't anything "middle road" about President Obama. And when the economy finally recovers, it'll be in spite of the ridiculous "efforts" of the government.

Speaking of elections...this may be another thread but I am surprised not to see much (or any) discussion regarding those states that are quietly enacting legislation that would compel their Electoral votes to go to the winner of the popular vote... interesting. I presume by "winner of the popular vote" it means in their particular state, clearly casting votes for the winner of the overall national popular vote would be subverting the will of the people if the particular state went for the erstwhile loser...?

Electoral votes in a given state already go to whoever wins the popular vote in that state. These laws states are passing are intended to give the electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote - specifically to avoid situations such as Kerry getting more votes nationwide than Bush, yet losing because he didn't get enough electoral votes.

They don't consider it "subverting the will of the people", because most people either forget or don't care that we live in a republic.

Fortunately he's been taking the middle road that most voters support.

He may be "trying" to take the middle road, but it's becoming increasingly clear that Obama isn't in charge, but rather is playing the role of an ass-puppet being passed around by Pelosi, Reid, Franks and Emmanuel like a bong at a frat house.

Electoral votes in a given state already go to whoever wins the popular vote in that state. These laws states are passing are intended to give the electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote - specifically to avoid situations such as Kerry getting more votes nationwide than Bush, yet losing because he didn't get enough electoral votes.

They don't consider it "subverting the will of the people", because most people either forget or don't care that we live in a republic.

Bush won the popular vote against kerry. he lost the popular vote to Gore however.

I would think that any self-respecting liberal would repudiate the comments of Garafalo, the offensive terms used to describe the people who attended these rallies and most of all the really shoddy reporting on the events. My biggest gripe there was all this sudden needs to find out who was "behind" the events, meanwhile known Communist fronts were throwing huge anti-war protests a few years ago without a word about it.

Like I said earlier, I didnt take much stock in these things, but I learned one thing...its amusing as hell to see how people act when IN power and then when OUT of power. How those evil protesters suddenly become grassroots, concerned citizens voicing their opposition. And visssa versa! The rhetoric is the same....the actions are the same, the only difference is that all the "actors" (that's us) on the stage just switched roles. Its like how you feel about TO when hes on the Cowboys.....and then when hes on the Bills. And whats pathetic is that 95% of people out there dont even realize their own hypocrisy.

I would think that any self-respecting liberal would repudiate the comments of Garafalo

I'm not sure what you are talking about.. but the other day I was watching countdown, she came on and said something like "this is just pure racism by the conservatives". Ya, I had to turn that off, it was pretty dumb.

Its like how you feel about TO when hes on the Cowboys.....and then when hes on the Bills. And whats pathetic is that 95% of people out there dont even realize their own hypocrisy.

I disagree to the extent that I think the majority of people do realize that they are being hypocritical, but instead of being honest they search for ways to justify their hypocrisy. This type of behavior by partisan lemmings will never end.

I disagree to the extent that I think the majority of people do realize that they are being hypocritical, but instead of being honest they search for ways to justify their hypocrisy. This type of behavior by partisan lemmings will never end.

Are you referring to the protests or 90% of the posts on PPP?