T. Graham's new Peters article

I don't know because Vic Carucci was on Sirius Radio yesterday saying that it looks like their is no way the Bills will get him signed (paraphrasing) and that he's talked with a Bills coach who feels he will be a major distraction if they don't trade him so it sounds like he will get traded.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peters is overrated. So he made the probowl, big effing deal. If anyone watched Peters play at all last season they saw a slow, fat disinterested player who let us down bigtime last year. Why on earth would the Bills want to pay a guy who does not bring it game in and game out, who has held out and has not given any type of commitment to the team 10 plus million/year? It is never going to happen. We have not won with the guy, maybe we will have far more continuity without him. Because it is the Bills FO, they are automatically in the wrong. Get over it. Peters is never going to play another down for the Bills. Why do you think any other team would pay a guy who held out all offseason $10 mill/year with at least 2 years left on his contract. You do that in Pittsburg or New England, you are GONE. No questions asked. The Steelers let Alan Faneca walk, and he has had a much more productive career than Peters. Look at NE with Deion Branch, and many other guys. I think the Bills are playing this perfectly.

The hate for the Bills front office is just god awful ridiculous.

OMG, thank you for this. Agree 100% :rolleyes:

If we have not won with him in the past, why is it such a big deal to think hes going to be our savior in 2009?

I don't know because Vic Carucci was on Sirius Radio yesterday saying that it looks like their is no way the Bills will get him signed (paraphrasing) and that he's talked with a Bills coach who feels he will be a major distraction if they don't trade him so it sounds like he will get traded.

I wonder.

Who are the potential suitors for him at the price he allegedly wants? He sat and pouted last season, IIRC. Were I an owner of an opposing team, why would I want to purchase a petulant child? I probably have enough of my own. :rolleyes:

Me personally, I hope we dump Peters and the sooner the better, if for no other reason than I am tired of hearing about him and his whining and his holdout. He isn't now and never will be worth what he is asking and his work habits and dedication are far below his physical talents, and that will keep him from ever being worthy of a Pro Bowl selection. Note I said worthy, unlike last season where he would have beent he last LT to go to the Pro Bowl based on performance.

Gotta agree with your statement, the following... "and his work habits and dedication are far below his physical talents..." at least for the present. Not saying it was like that in the past when he was pushing but I'm thinking those days are done, ESPECIALLY if he gets a big big contract.

OMG, thank you for this. Agree 100% :rolleyes:

If we have not won with him in the past, why is it such a big deal to think hes going to be our savior in 2009?

Savior? Who is claiming that?

But, just because the team hasn't won with him, doesn't mean he can't be an essential part of a winning team. I would expect the team to be better, this year, with him at LT than anyone else currently on the roster, or with a rookie from the draft.

Of course, the Bills obviously think he's pretty good, if they started the negotiation at $8 million.

Savior? Who is claiming that?

But, just because the team hasn't won with him, doesn't mean he can't be an essential part of a winning team. I would expect the team to be better, this year, with him at LT than anyone else currently on the roster, or with a rookie from the draft.

Of course, the Bills obviously think he's pretty good, if they started the negotiation at $8 million.

You sure Peters knows the meaning of the word? All I've seen from Peters and Parker is dictation.

The thing that seems painfully obvious to me is:

- It doesn't matter how good Peters is

- It doesn't matter if the bills cant find the perfect offer

IF HE WONT COME IN AND PLAY then the organization is allowing itself to be held hostage because they wont move on from Jason Peters and decide who is really going to man the position.

Want to know what will REALLY irk me? Is if the Bills do end up trading him which is not a win or a loss sitation but then the team he goes to gets him to take what we are NOW offering. I will forever hate him if that happens.

your hate would be mis-directed

try directing it at Russ Brandon who had the power last year to sign him and make this all go away.

when was the last time you heard him whine? do you have a link for it?

interesting that Peters has taken the high road and made no demands thru the media - this year or last year.

thus all of the conclusions that he wants to be the highest paid LT are pure speculation fostered by Brandon and his spin masters to slant public opinion.

Peters is overrated. So he made the probowl, big effing deal. If anyone watched Peters play at all last season they saw a slow, fat disinterested player who let us down bigtime last year. Why on earth would the Bills want to pay a guy who does not bring it game in and game out, who has held out and has not given any type of commitment to the team 10 plus million/year? It is never going to happen. We have not won with the guy, maybe we will have far more continuity without him. Because it is the Bills FO, they are automatically in the wrong. Get over it. Peters is never going to play another down for the Bills. Why do you think any other team would pay a guy who held out all offseason $10 mill/year with at least 2 years left on his contract. You do that in Pittsburg or New England, you are GONE. No questions asked. The Steelers let Alan Faneca walk, and he has had a much more productive career than Peters. Look at NE with Deion Branch, and many other guys. I think the Bills are playing this perfectly.

The hate for the Bills front office is just god awful ridiculous.

Best post on the subject I've seen. He is a gamble at this point, you don't pay gambles 10 million a year. If you give a player that kind of money, he better lock up that position at an above average level, and without any distraction. He better show up in shape and stay motivated on his own. He better make those around him better. He better not ever be a concern for the coaching staff. Sorry Jason, you don't fit the qualifications. :rolleyes:

The Bills have demonstrated they will pay...and pay big money to players they feel are worth it. Lee Evans is a top 5 paid WR, Schobel a top 5 paid DE and Stroud a top paid DL. What they do NOT want to do is overpay for a guy who they know is not worth 11-12M per season. The Bills have likely offered about 8M per season but he and his agents want 10M at least. The guy who gave up the most sacks by a LT last year and the guy who we all saw was NOT a Pro Bowl LT is not worth that kind of money. The Bills can let him sit and not take a big hit OR get very good compensation for him. Did anyone notice when he was not in there? Actually you probably did as the QB was not getting sacked in the End Zone essentially unblocked like Porter around Peters all day. 12M a year should guarantee you do not give up a sack.

I still don't think there's a huge demand for Peters, considering his asking price. I've got to believe teams know league-wide what he's asking, and the timing is all wrong. For the most part, clubs have spent their FA dollars and adding a big contract now seems difficult.

In the AFC, I can't think of more than two teams who'd be remotely interested in his salary demand and the compensation to acquire him. Perhaps the Raiders, maybe the Jags (although they inked Tra Thomas). Over in the NFC, the Eagles are a popular destination, but I don't see Andy Reid paying the asking price. Perhaps Detroit, but that's a long shot.

Between his contract demands and the Bills' asking price, I can't see the market for Peters increasing at this juncture. And so the two parties will be at a standstill for awhile if their negotiations don't adapt to the market.

I still don't think there's a huge demand for Peters, considering his asking price. I've got to believe teams know league-wide what he's asking, and the timing is all wrong. For the most part, clubs have spent their FA dollars and adding a big contract now seems difficult.

You're kidding.. .1/2 the league has 10+ million left in FA dollars, and Philly has over 20 million left under the cap

You're kidding.. .1/2 the league has 10+ million left in FA dollars, and Philly has over 20 million left under the cap

And no one wants to be up against the cap, aside from Washington and Dallas, most teams are staying 10M beneath the cap.

As a matter of fact, the cap has increased from 102M in 06 to 127M in 09. And while the cap increases, the minimum does as well. I'd estimate the salary floor is about 105-108M when it was about 90-93M in 06.

Teams simply can't increase their revenue fast enough to keep up with the 06 CBA which has owners have since opted out of. This is precisely the reason why, and a reason for owners to stay that far below the cap.

your hate would be mis-directed

try directing it at Russ Brandon who had the power last year to sign him and make this all go away.

A friend of mine is related to a scout from the Bills. I spoke to him about Peters at a party last August. He said that Peters was getting bad advice from his agent. He had Peters on a gag order and wouldn't let him return calls to anybody affiliated with the team, even his closest friends. He also told me that they were very high on Kirk Chambers and had no problem starting him in place of Peters. It's my understanding that the Bills FO is furious with Parker and the way he has handled the situation. It has nothing to do with Wilson being cheap or Brandon being incompetent. I hope this helps.

A friend of mine is related to a scout from the Bills. I spoke to him about Peters at a party last August. He said that Peters was getting bad advice from his agent. He had Peters on a gag order and wouldn't let him return calls to anybody affiliated with the team, even his closest friends. He also told me that they were very high on Kirk Chambers and had no problem starting him in place of Peters. It's my understanding that the Bills FO is furious with Parker and the way he has handled the situation. It has nothing to do with Wilson being cheap or Brandon being incompetent. I hope this helps.

that was August

Brandon screwed up in January when he laid down his no extension edict.

The Bills are delusional if they think Chambers can handle elite pass rushers

If i had to guess, I'd say the demand for Peters isn't enough for the Bills to get fair value. OTOH, the demand will be enough that, if traded, Peters will get an enormous contract.

Sounds like this thing is far from over. That sucks. Damn you Peters.

I think the Bills are willing to give him the huge payday he wants, they're just not convinced he's motivated and committed enough. They must figure he'll turn into a lazy guy after he gets paid, which is a legitimate concern. His hardball approach isn't working. Just show up and bust your ass, then the Bills will be much more incline to reward you. An incentive-laden deal would satisy the Bills, and if he's as good as he thinks, he won't have any problem reaching those incentives.

You sure Peters knows the meaning of the word? All I've seen from Peters and Parker is dictation.

Well, as much as I hate to say it, I'm not convinced Peters really understands the process, very well at all. But, the negotiation is going through his agent, not through Jason. Obviously, as a successful agent, Parker understands negotiation, and I doubt he gets his ask price, on every deal. Unfortunately, for us, Parker is a hard-ball guy who has a tendency to use a hold out as a negotiating tool. That blows, IMO.

So there is reason to be concerned, here. But, as it is still April, and as the team has yet to have a mandatory event, it's also too early to be totally convinced that this will end in disaster, and to conclude he is on a holdout, now. I'm convinced if there is no deal, before the season starts, he will hold out until game 10 (if he isn't traded). But, I would hope he comes in to work with the team, if the contract isn't done when things become compulsory.

They should bring me in as a mediator...I could make this deal happen. :rolleyes::)

In the AFC, I can't think of more than two teams who'd be remotely interested in his salary demand and the compensation to acquire him. Perhaps the Raiders, maybe the Jags (although they inked Tra Thomas). Over in the NFC, the Eagles are a popular destination, but I don't see Andy Reid paying the asking price. Perhaps Detroit, but that's a long shot.

Between his contract demands and the Bills' asking price, I can't see the market for Peters increasing at this juncture. And so the two parties will be at a standstill for awhile if their negotiations don't adapt to the market.

That's an excellent point. To get Peters another team likely has to give up a couple of high draft picks, plus a $10mill/yr salary. That's a huge expense for one player. Add in the knowledge that he'll hold out at the drop of a hat and you've got exactly what we're seeing - a probowl LT, that's the best in the league, waiting for the phone to ring. Dude has a ton of talent, but he also has a ton of risk.

Bottom line is you can't be the best and highest paid LT in the game if you're sitting on the sidelines upset about your paycheck or injured. His agent has completely mishandled this negotiation (if you can call it that) at this point.