T. Graham's new Peters article

I agree with most of this. I just don't think the Bills want to trade him, nor can they get what he is worth, and they are in no hurry to. And most importantly... if other teams are willing to pay him the eight figures, why wouldn't we?

And yes, it's another Peters thread. I have been looking for one of these all day.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-46/...gest-story.html

Did Tim Graham just call Peters "perhaps the best player at football's second most vital position?" :(

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with most of this. I just don't think the Bills want to trade him, nor can they get what he is worth, and they are in no hurry to. And most importantly... if other teams are willing to pay him the eight figures, why wouldn't we?

And yes, it's another Peters thread. I have been looking for one of these all day.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-46/...gest-story.html

Did Tim Graham just call Peters "perhaps the best player at football's second most vital position?" :wallbash:

I believe Tim Graham did just say that.

I also believe a real life GM said this (quoted from the article):

"One AFC general manager agreed Peters is a premium tackle and -- in theory -- well worth the Bills' asking price of multiple draft picks, including first- and third-rounders. But the GM questioned whether it would be a prudent investment to give Peters the money he seeks because of perceived dedication issues."

"Once you give him the money, I'm not so sure he plays up to it," the GM said.

Peters is getting horrible advice. It's pretty obvious.

:(

yawn

the pig is holding out, can we leave it at that please?

who says he's holding out. i'm starting to think it would be better to trade the guy and just stick with high mortr character guys like Poz (who sucks) so this loser franchise can continue down the same path

I think this says it all with regards to Peters:

But the GM questioned whether it would be a prudent investment to give Peters the money he seeks because of perceived dedication issues.

What Peters has accomplished more than anything else is create a huge cloud of doubt around himself. He's clearly more worried about making money than playing football. So what happens when he gets that money? If your only motivation for playing well has been to make money, what happens when you finally get that mega contract? I'm certain that's why no one is rushing to give him the most money any NFL lineman has ever gotten.

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

I did have to change the headline to get people to read it, though. For more than two hours nobody was clicking on it. As soon as I inserted the word "trade," people started looking.

Just curious.... what was the original title?

I believe Tim Graham did just say that.

I also believe a real life GM said this (quoted from the article):

"One AFC general manager agreed Peters is a premium tackle and -- in theory -- well worth the Bills' asking price of multiple draft picks, including first- and third-rounders. But the GM questioned whether it would be a prudent investment to give Peters the money he seeks because of perceived dedication issues."

Peters is getting horrible advice. It's pretty obvious.

:(

The research for this article started before the owners meetings, where I had access to scores of NFL decision-makers. It was there that I realized how highly Peters is thought of as a player. We're talking the Peyton Manning of his position when it comes to ability.

The preparation and dedication part is where the conversation changes. Will he play when he's hurt? Will he play when he gets the money? Those types of questions.

I still got the impression any team gladly would deal with those concerns because they'd love to have him.

The research for this article started before the owners meetings, where I had access to scores of NFL decision-makers. It was there that I realized how highly Peters is thought of as a player. We're talking the Peyton Manning of his position when it comes to ability.

Peters has tight end agility, and is as strong as an ox. His arms are very long and he is so strong that he can just push DEs out of the play. It won't always look like an Orlando Pace pancake, but who says it has to, right?

All this AND he is still new to his position. We need to pay him, and he needs to accept 10 mil per year or thereabout.

Personally, I think we should pay him. We had "NO" problem paying newcomers to our team top dollars, such as Dockery, Walker why not pay your home bread guy? Also, the simple fact that we're paying kelsey $6million a year and intitiated those talks wile kelsey was still under contract tells alot about the organizatioon if I'm Peters. Simply put he's our best o-lineman and not even the highest paid one. We just gave stroud a deal for $8million a year I say give Peters the dough and let's go draft a Pass rusher in the 1st, the big guard in the 2nd, best available center in the 3rd and with the next pick grab top TE available.

Brewing contract standoff is Bills' biggest story

Oh yeah. Definitely getting "Trade" and "Peters" in the same sentence is better than that. :(

Great coverage and perspective on the team, Tim. For us diehard nuts, you're a Godsend.

Peters has tight end agility, and is as strong as an ox. His arms are very long and he is so strong that he can just push DEs out of the play. It won't always look like an Orlando Pace pancake, but who says it has to, right?

All this AND he is still new to his position. We need to pay him, and he needs to accept 10 mil per year or thereabout.

And if won't accept $10mill/yr?

Bills are offering 8mil and Peters want 11mil why is 9.5mil so hard to come to, make it a 2year extension instead of four years, promise not to use the Franchise tag, have bigger penalties for missing OTAs or Preseason, and a signing bonus take back if Peters holds out in the future.

I think this says it all with regards to Peters:

What Peters has accomplished more than anything else is create a huge cloud of doubt around himself. He's clearly more worried about making money than playing football. So what happens when he gets that money? If your only motivation for playing well has been to make money, what happens when you finally get that mega contract? I'm certain that's why no one is rushing to give him the most money any NFL lineman has ever gotten.

What Peter's has accomplished is to go from being an undrafted TE to becoming one of the best LTs in the game. Football contracts are renegotiated all of the time and it's only because of Peter's exponential rise to probowl LT staus that his last renegotiated contract was quickly out of step with his talent. That's supposed to be a good thing if this were any other NFL team that took care of their best players. But on the Bills he gets the back hand of a tightwad owner who refuses to pay the going rate to his only player that has actually accomplished something of note. Trading Peters to save money is shameful and Bills fans who are backing the owner had better not complain when Fitzy is starting the majority of games after the Trent "china doll" Edwards has been broken to a million bits.

It is hard to say who holds the leverage here. Probably the Bills as they have Peters under contract. However, worst case scenarios are that a new deal does not get done - Peters shows up only in time to preserve his FA year and does the same next year and the Bills effectively get nothing in return.

While the water is under the bridge the Bills really should have gotten the deal done last year. Gross and Long have significantly pushed the market and Peter's expectations.