Chris Kelsay

lacoy38

From my understanding, we save absolutely no money cutting Kelsay. Trust me, I'd cut him if it saved us twenty bucks cause I think he is about as useless as they come, but I think it's a moot point by now

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From my understanding, we save absolutely no money cutting Kelsay. Trust me, I'd cut him if it saved us twenty bucks cause I think he is about as useless as they come, but I think it's a moot point by now

2/26/2007: Signed a four-year, $23 million contract. The deal included an $8 million signing bonus and initial roster bonus of $3 million. 2009: $3 million, 2010: $3.7 million, 2011: Free Agent

clumpy's page

We will save $3mil($3.6mil if the bonus hasn't been paid yet....from clumpy's page).

With Freddie and Peters complaining about being underpaid (they are), OBD should focus on whose overpaid; we already cut Dockery, why not Kelsay. Think about it, he makes 8 million a year, with that savings we coudl pay Peters long term, or in the very least up him for 09 and 10 and then replace him with a tackle like Bell or someone else we can develop in the next 2 years.

I agree with most of this. I'd like to see the Bills keep Peters, but I'm concerned the guy will just be an annual holdout. Let's say Buffalo comes through somehow with $11 million per season for Peters. Next year, some other left tackle somewhere gets a bigger contract. What's Peter's gonna do? Hold out again in 2010 because he's the 2nd-highest paid left tackle in the NFL? I hate the idea of him helping another team, but I just don't see how the Bills can reward his behavior at this point and there is simply no guarantee that he won't pull this crap the remainder of his career -- at least while he is in Buffalo. The money they gave to Dockery & Walker was ridiculous and I can well understand why Peters was pissed, but I don't see this guy EVER being content with his earnings.

I agree with most of this. I'd like to see the Bills keep Peters, but I'm concerned the guy will just be an annual holdout. Let's say Buffalo comes through somehow with $11 million per season for Peters. Next year, some other left tackle somewhere gets a bigger contract. What's Peter's gonna do? Hold out again in 2010 because he's the 2nd-highest paid left tackle in the NFL? I hate the idea of him helping another team, but I just don't see how the Bills can reward his behavior at this point and there is simply no guarantee that he won't pull this crap the remainder of his career -- at least while he is in Buffalo. The money they gave to Dockery & Walker was ridiculous and I can well understand why Peters was pissed, but I don't see this guy EVER being content with his earnings.

Bruce Smith was never happy with his earnings. I thought that worked out pretty well.

Bruce Smith was never happy with his earnings. I thought that worked out pretty well.

Well, that has some merit. However, I also think it is easier for a defensive player to hold out and still be effective. I think it is more difficult for an offensive lineman because greater cohesion is needed to run an offense effectively than on defense. Not saying you don't need that on defense, too, but just that it is more essential for a successful offense.

Well, that has some merit. However, I also think it is easier for a defensive player to hold out and still be effective. I think it is more difficult for an offensive lineman because greater cohesion is needed to run an offense effectively than on defense. Not saying you don't need that on defense, too, but just that it is more essential for a successful offense.

I agree with that.

I agree with that.

Also, Bruce was vocal, kept in contact, etc. Peters goes off to God knows where and doesn't even communicate with anyone save for one text message a month to some teammate. With Bruce, you knew he WANTED to be here, he wanted to play ball, but he demanded compensation (and rightfully so). I just don't get that same vibe with Peters. While he can probably make an equal or close to equal claim to be well-compensated, it's the other intangibles that leave questions marks. Does the guy really want to be a standout player? Does he love the game like Bruce did? Is he a leader like Bruce was? At least Bruce kept the lines of communication open during his holdouts whereas Peters just totally shuts down -- just don't get a great feeling when that kind of thing happens.

2/26/2007: Signed a four-year, $23 million contract. The deal included an $8 million signing bonus and initial roster bonus of $3 million. 2009: $3 million, 2010: $3.7 million, 2011: Free Agent

clumpy's page

We will save $3mil($3.6mil if the bonus hasn't been paid yet....from clumpy's page).

But, I think that if you are cut, the bonus is held against you in cap space. Granted, it's dead cap space, but still money that you can't use to spend on others.

I think Billsdaily referred to this topic a few months back, but I really don't remember for sure.

Also, Bruce was vocal, kept in contact, etc. Peters goes off to God knows where and doesn't even communicate with anyone save for one text message a month to some teammate.

Now, since Peters has only held out once, and there is no lack of contact now, that I know of, I wouldn't put any label like that on Peters, just yet. He has yet to miss one day of mandatory work this off season.

Now, since Peters has only held out once, and there is no lack of contact now, that I know of, I wouldn't put any label like that on Peters, just yet. He has yet to miss one day of mandatory work this off season.

True. I don't know that he is doing that this year. I wish he hadn't done it last year, but maybe he learned that's not the way to handle things. Guess time will tell.

You know which teams he wouldn't have a place on? The Patriots, Dolphins and Jets.

BTW, he sucks against the run also. In six years he has 169 tackles which averages to 28 tackles per season.

Excellent post!

He might make the team on the Patriots, Dolphins and Jets, but he certainly wouldn't start and he certainly wouldn't be getting paid like he is.

The Bills won't draft a DE however because they are loathe to admit he shouldn't have been extended.