Seth McKinnie signed

Anybody thinking he's a starter or we're not taking a lineman anymore is only fooling themselves. We've got absolutely no guards or backups that aren't tackles. There is no way we could afford to use our draft picks on both a starting LG AND backups, and this gives us our utility G/C swingman in case of injury.

How do you know we haven't just signed a starter, ready to add a 5th-6th rounder as a backup? Thats more in line with how the Bills have addressed the offensive line in the past, IMO.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know we haven't just signed a starter, ready to add a 5th-6th rounder as a backup? Thats more in line with how the Bills have addressed the offensive line in the past, IMO.

you are correct.

the bills have their OL now

more career scrubs and castoffs, magically becoming stud starters when arriving in Buffalo (must be something at the airport that helps with the transformation)

even if they trade Peters, they will start either Chambers or Bell and blame it on the QB when he gets killed.

time to draft some more DBs

To be fair, a street FA (Mike Gandy) became a starting LT a few years back.

Bennie Anderson and Mike Pucillo started for the Bills

does not make them any good

just that the Bills are inept are finding quality OL -whether acquired thru the draft or as free agents.

when they try to spend resources on the OL, they fail miserably with Mike Williams and Derrick Dockery

when they luck out on a quality player in Peters, they butcher his contract situation and will eventually run him out of town

you are correct.

the bills have their OL now

more career scrubs and castoffs, magically becoming stud starters when arriving in Buffalo (must be something at the airport that helps with the transformation)

even if they trade Peters, they will start either Chambers or Bell and blame it on the QB when he gets killed.

time to draft some more DBs

It really is sad, isn't it.

That said, I like this signing. Whittle and Chambers are not NFL quality guards.

I think TE and DE, one way or the other, are the first 2 rounds. You still have OLB and Peters/Replacement as the wild cards. I think it was interesting that the Bills brought in Vontae Davis--who would be there at Pick 28. I think a trade (possibly Draft Day) is in the works.

Astro you do great work. But i dont see the Bills taking a TE in round one or two. Right now the Bills have very little Olineman signed. I believe they will draft Robinson(og) in round two then come back in round four or five and take another interior guy.

On the other hand the Bills will probably give Fine a full year to prove he can stay healthy and be productive. He definetly isn't a long yardage threat, but he seems to have good hands and can catch the ball underneath. Bills have Owens and Evans to stretch the field. Fine should be able to rack up some decent numbers against LBs who will be trying to cover him. While the safeties/nickle backs will be focusing on Reed or Jackson.

But all the recieving power is useless if the Bills don't get some quality guys blocking up front, early in the draft.

It really is sad, isn't it.

That said, I like this signing. Whittle and Chambers are not NFL quality guards.

Both Hangertner and McKinnie are good signings if they were to serve as versatle backups.

However, we both know that the braintrust considers them starters and now feels the interior has been addressed.

In addition, it probably gives them enough comfort level to trade Peters, since one of Chambers or Bell is bound to be great.

Another year without adding any quality OL with skills and upside

on to drafting some more DBs to play in a soft zone

IIRC, he was out of football for a year prior to signing with the Bills.

He played for the Bears in '04 and may have briefly signed with somebody in between Buffalo in '05 and the 5 games in '04 for the Bears. I want to say Carolina, but he was never active? I don't know. Either way, when the Bills signed him, he sucked. He ended up being solid, but nothing special, so you never know.

Both Hangertner and McKinnie are good signings if they were to serve as versatle backups.

However, we both know that the braintrust considers them starters and now feels the interior has been addressed.

Their worth will be determined on the football field. Not on an internet message board, among people who aren't qualified to professionally assess NFL players (myself included).

I thought the Bills signed Jason Whittle a couple of years ago. Why are they resigning him?

Perhaps because Mouse (Jim McNally) isn't around anymore and think he was a big reason we signed Whittle to begin with. Though in honesty McKinney offers much the same that Whittle does but with a little more size and a little younger (29 vs 35). What he offers is a veteran OG/C that is best served off the bench. For those that care here are his career stats from http://boston.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp...5976&team=5:

Career Offensive Line Stats

Year Team G GS Pen Yds False Start Holding Sacks Allwd Yds

2002 Mia 16 2 1 5 1 0 0.25 1.75

2003 Mia 16 3 1 5 1 0 0.50 5.00

2004 Mia 16 16 4 40 2 0 6.00 40.50

2005 Mia 13 13 7 55 2 5 0.00 0.00

2007 Cle 8 8 3 15 3 0 0.00 0.00

2008 Cle 16 3 2 20 1 0 1.00 2.00

Totals 85 45 18 140 10 5 7.75 49.25