The Masters

WWVaBeach

The Masters  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Tiger
    • The Field

lol....sorry. Seriously, though, if I knew the guy was going to be this insistent on GIVING the damn thing away, I would have made the 2 hr drive and signed up to play! lol

Homey has a 2-shot lead going into the last two holes and can't finish the deal...for his FIRST MAJOR EVER. He's like the exact opposite of Tiger in terms of his mental toughness.

And yet he had the same score on the 17 & 18 as Tiger (+2). It was a disappointing finish. BTW, Tiger has never won a major when coming from behind. It may be tougher to defend a lead, but how come people aren't melting down when they see Tiger moving up the leaderboard like with Jack?

Anyway, I hate it when someone wins a playoff without making a birdie. I guess I'm just bitter. At 4 PM, it was shaping up to be the greatest Masters ever. Instead the winner parred 18 with a lucky bounce off a tree. That's golf.

Cabrera & Daly now have a combined lifetime Grand Slam. I don't know what that means, either. :wacko:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet he had the same score on the 17 & 18 as Tiger (+2). It was a disappointing finish. BTW, Tiger has never won a major when coming from behind. It may be tougher to defend a lead, but how come people aren't melting down when they see Tiger moving up the leaderboard like with Jack?

Anyway, I hate it when someone wins a playoff without making a birdie. I guess I'm just bitter. At 4 PM, it was shaping up to be the greatest Masters ever. Instead the winner parred 18 with a lucky bounce off a tree. That's golf.

Cabrera & Daly now have a combined lifetime Grand Slam. I don't know what that means, either. :wacko:

It's a shame Phil or Tiger couldn't have finished stronger and put up a number that had a chance. And disappointing that it end with so many bad shots in the playoff.

And yet he had the same score on the 17 & 18 as Tiger (+2).

Yeah but Tiger was in a position where he had to play aggressively to catch up. All KP had to do was hold on to the lead he already had. Given he would have been the oldest player to ever win a major, it's pretty likely he'll never have that opportunity again. I think his collapse today proves why he's never won one in the past...he's good, but not ready for prime time.

It's a shame Phil or Tiger couldn't have finished stronger and put up a number that had a chance. And disappointing that it end with so many bad shots in the playoff.

That would have been awesome...if just one of them could have gotten into that playoff, it would have completed an amazing round of golf, cause I'm sure they would have won it all given who they would have been up against.

That would have been awesome...if just one of them could have gotten into that playoff, it would have completed an amazing round of golf, cause I'm sure they would have won it all given who they would have been up against.

So who choked more--Tiger (the world's best player, who we all know can rise to any occasion) or Perry (a career 'nice guy' who was in a 'don't pinch me, I might wake up' once-in-a-lifetime scenario)?

I feel bad for Perry, who played a lot better than the Zack Johnson's and Trevor Immelman's of the world, yet saw it all slip through his fingers. It was tough to see the looks on his kid's faces as it went south for their dad...

So who choked more--Tiger (the world's best player, who we all know can rise to any occasion) or Perry (a career 'nice guy' who was in a 'don't pinch me, I might wake up' once-in-a-lifetime scenario)?

I feel bad for Perry, who played a lot better than the Zack Johnson's and Trevor Immelman's of the world, yet saw it all slip through his fingers. It was tough to see the looks on his kid's faces as it went south for their dad...

Well, Tiger had a great round today....one of the best of all 50 players. In the end he came up a little short in his charge. K.Perry had his worst round of the four days, I believe, and all he had to do was finish +1 or better on the last two holes to win. My take is that K.Perry is mentally and competitively weak. I think it's great he's a nice guy, and I believe in sportsmanship as much or more than anyone. But even in a sport played by mostly non-athletes such as golf, until the final hole is played, the other participants are not your friends....they are obstacles in the way of what you want. K.Perry doesn't seem to have any sort of closer's mentality, and clearly lacks any sort of killer instinct. If you can't finish, you can't win...and I really do feel that today was probably a microcosm of his entire career at the major events. He has the rest of his life to be a "nice guy", but he could have had an achievement to look back on for the rest of his life and he blew it.

Well, Tiger had a great round today....one of the best of all 50 players. In the end he came up a little short in his charge. K.Perry had his worst round of the four days, I believe, and all he had to do was finish +1 or better on the last two holes to win. My take is that K.Perry is mentally and competitively weak. I think it's great he's a nice guy, and I believe in sportsmanship as much or more than anyone. But even in a sport played by mostly non-athletes such as golf, until the final hole is played, the other participants are not your friends....they are obstacles in the way of what you want. K.Perry doesn't seem to have any sort of closer's mentality, and clearly lacks any sort of killer instinct. If you can't finish, you can't win...and I really do feel that today was probably a microcosm of his entire career at the major events. He has the rest of his life to be a "nice guy", but he could have had an achievement to look back on for the rest of his life and he blew it.

Tigger still gagged more, IMO, based on his ability and mental toughness.

It's easy to say Perry's 'weak,' but not too many people get to test themselves the way he did this weekend--and get as close as he did to the brass ring. Killer instinct sounds good on paper, but in reality, very few people can dependably be said to have it. It almost seemed like the bird on 16 hurt him more than helped....

Tigger still gagged more, IMO, based on his ability and mental toughness.

It's easy to say Perry's 'weak,' but not too many people get to test themselves the way he did this weekend--and get as close as he did to the brass ring. Killer instinct sounds good on paper, but in reality, very few people can dependably be said to have it. It almost seemed like the bird on 16 hurt him more than helped....

How you respond when it's all on the line is what separates the men from the boys and winners from losers. Giving your best and still getting beat is one thing. Having the opportunity staring you in the face and failing to take advantage of it (i.e. beating yourself) is another. The guy had basically three opportunities to finish the game today: First, when Tiger and Phil's respective charges fizzled out....second, when he had to simply maintain his 2-stroke lead over the final two holes, and third was during the playoff holes. Cabrera was in the fuggin TREES toward the end but Perry still couldn't finish the deal.

He can say that he's not going to hang his head all he wants, but in my life I've been in a position where I had success staring me in the face and I choked, and also occasions where I gutted out my best effort and succeeded. To this day, the former situation still eats at me quite a bit, and that was on a high school stage that only a few people witnessed. To imagine how I'd feel if I let that happen on a national, even INTERNATIONAL stage? Ugh....I'd feel like absolute crap...especially since I'd probably never again have that shot.

I agree with you when you say that few people are dependable in terms of the mental toughness/killer instinct thing...and that's a big reason why I think Tiger is one of the greatest competitors in the history of sports. The guy's mental game is amazing, and that's what separates him from the pack.

Speaking of smoking...

Is Chad Campbell's wife smoking hot or do I need new glasses ?

Wow, I am usually pretty forgiving in this department, but she wasn't gettin it done for me.

BTW, think Cabrerra quit the butts...not sue, but i think that is the case.

Wow, I am usually pretty forgiving in this department, but she wasn't gettin it done for me.

BTW, think Cabrerra quit the butts...not sue, but i think that is the case.

He quit, He wanted to defend his US open at Torry Pines without ducking behind trees for a puff, It's illegal to smoke

on public land in California and Torrey pines is a public golf course