Dr Dirty John Valby

I first saw Valby at the Red Balloon (later Jerry Korab's) on Colvin in Tonawanda in the fall of 1975. Saw him many more times. In the late 70s he played Melanie's at Main and Transit every weekend I would see him every Friday for months. Last saw him in the Hartford area in 1993.

My friends there didn't know I knew who he was, and I played dumb. When he started on Eat, Bite and other songs, their jaws dropped when I knew every word. I told him at that show that I had seen him in 1975 and he said "Hey! An old !@#$er from Buffalo!"

He was a good hockey player in his youth. I heard he played in college and someone from high school played against him in a pick-up game.

I think he's around 60 now.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first saw Valby at the Red Balloon (later Jerry Korab's) on Colvin in Tonawanda in the fall of 1975. Saw him many more times. In the late 70s he played Melanie's at Main and Transit every weekend I would see him every Friday for months.

That's where I used to see him, most of the time, too.

I use to date a dancer (modern and jazz...not stripper) and was good friends with the dance instructor and her family. A friend of theirs, another dancer, dated Valby, and I met him a few times. I've also talked to him at his shows a few times, and my buddy and I taught him a dirty song. Turns out he actually knew the song, but had forgotten it, and wrote down the lyrics. He played it that night, and another time, years later. John's a good guy.

The girl he dated was named "Barb". I always wondered if she was the one who had "a hole like a four barrel carb".

When I was in grad school at Roswell Park (1989), our lab tech was a member of the club (piano player). I had an accident in the morning on the way to Roswell at Oak and Swan and my car got totaled. I call the lab to tell them what happened and to get a ride there after they towed my car. He comes to pick me up and says we have to go someplace first. We go to the Colored Musicians Club and the bartender was cleaning up . He gets me a beer to calm my nerves and I see all the pictures of the jazz greats on the walls. There were pictures of EVERYONE.

He had a second job in a band and played for several weddings of people at the hospital. We were in Keystone , CO for a conference. At the piano bar, after the player finished, he asked if he could play some. He got a bigger hand than the person working there. We had a great time standing against the piano while he played.

My memory from college is old, grizzled and fuzzy like I am. It does not look like my memory but considering I went when it was dark and was dropped off my memory may be wrong. Considering it was made a historical building in 1979 and I went there once in early 80s I am really not sure. I have never been to that club as far as I know but that was almost 30 years ago. I remember it being "West" part of city but since I was coming from Amherst corner of Buffalo (main street campus) this is "west". It sat around 200 with a wrap around bar. Thanks for the site anyways, I love jazz and Buffalo was always called one of the birthplaces of jazz for a reason.

My memory from college is old, grizzled and fuzzy like I am. It does not look like my memory but considering I went when it was dark and was dropped off my memory may be wrong. Considering it was made a historical building in 1979 and I went there once in early 80s I am really not sure. I have never been to that club as far as I know but that was almost 30 years ago. I remember it being "West" part of city but since I was coming from Amherst corner of Buffalo (main street campus) this is "west". It sat around 200 with a wrap around bar. Thanks for the site anyways, I love jazz and Buffalo was always called one of the birthplaces of jazz for a reason.

It really could be one of any number of clubs, around at that time.

Thanks. I caught that earlier. It's a little bit of a drive to Tampa, simply so see Valby. If it were are few days earlier, the Jays would be in town playing the Red Socks...to that would have made it more interesting.

I'm still thinking about it, though. We'll see.

Yikes, first saw the subject line and I thought that Valby had died...whew!

First saw him at the Mason Jar on Jefferson Road in Rochester in '76...during the 80s and early 90s, he always seemed to be at the Penny Arcade in Rochester the day after Christmas, so I used to see him then...he's been down here to DC a couple of times, but not in many years.

Was Dizzy at the Tralf?

I saw Dizzy once, too...but can't remember where, right now. Either Boston or Buffalo, I think. Might have been the Tralf.

Deano, you may have seen him at the Tralf, as that is where I saw him. I want to say summer of either 85 or 86. Great show. Remember it well as the mother of the girl I was dating at the time really wanted to go, and truth be told she would have liked it more than her daughter :blink: Eh, still got lucky after the show so all good :)

Saw Valby a few times at the Library in the Falls as well during the summers of the early 80s.

Deano, you may have seen him at the Tralf, as that is where I saw him. I want to say summer of either 85 or 86. Great show. Remember it well as the mother of the girl I was dating at the time really wanted to go, and truth be told she would have liked it more than her daughter :blink: Eh, still got lucky after the show so all good :)

Saw Valby a few times at the Library in the Falls as well during the summers of the early 80s.

The timeline makes sense.

After I first joined the AF back in the early 90s I saw him in Indianapolis of all places. At the tender age of 22, I don't think I had the appreciation for Valby like I do now.

However, like Dean said there's nothing quite like seeing with a group of friends five to seven sheets to the wind.

you say this like going out to his maze and drinking/smoking/partying werent things us youth of the 90s did on a regular basis. :blink:

lot of good memories partying out there until he'd come throw all the lights on and run us out.

a couple times he came back and hung out though, always fun. ah, the mammaries...

I didn't grow up in the northtowns, so I never had been there before. I was only at the maze once, with my buddy who is John's nephew. Pretty cool that he would come out and hang with you when you just crashed the maze.

Holy Crap - he's playing 10 miles from me tonight! Might have to see that - it's probably been 15 years since my last appointment with Dr Dirty

Dude, go. Bring the Panda, that should play well.

• 3 weeks later...

well, the Valby show is tonight, and i have my ticket....

and i also have a girlfriend who has been sick and throwing up for the past 48 hours. so it looks like im not going.

oh well, he'll come through again soon. and at least i get to watch LOST.