Hangartner at Center

Is it possible that we are saying we will put him at Center because we want to draft Max or Unger and eventually will put him at Guard?

I posted that question here a couple weeks ago...could be, but not likely.

Hold Your Horses!

Modrak has said that this is a very good Center Group, speaking about the draft. He also said that some would sift into the OC group from OT, that they would watch for the best pass protectors (Handgartener fills this decription as does Mack), and he said that OG in this draft was not as deep. He said that both OC's are free agents and that they would need 2 more. We've brought in one.

He also said that 10 of our games this year are against 3-4 teams with NT's, and you need a good Center.

I think we'll see a Center chosen in this draft--maybe later on like Newton or Edwin Williams in RD5 or 6, or maybe Wood/Mack/Caldwell. Remember footwork is huge with these guys, and Wood is known for footwork.

I hope we tap into the C crop this year its been far, far to long. I'd take Mack anywhere in the late first or second round-Wood also may be inth emix in the secong=d i doubt he will last till our third pick-Unger Who knows I'm guessing 2nd with him also

Is it possible that we are saying we will put him at Center because we want to draft Max or Unger and eventually will put him at Guard?

Nice, nice post, this is very insightful. I don't know if this is actually what the Bills' braintrust is thinking but I like the flexibility.

i hope thats the case because this team hasnt had a true center since Hull retired

Hangartner is a Guard that has played Center and not the other way around. When he did play Center he held up pretty well. This means the Bills can draft either for depth. If they also sign Peters, this could turn out to be a very surprising OL. They may opt to put somebody next to Stroud on the DL early in the draft which wouldn't hurt my feelings either. All in all, the Hangartner move was a very nice choice.

Hangarten is 6'5" 350. He's here for 3-4 nose tackles. All the college centers got schooled by Raji at the Senior Bowl.

We draft a guard on the second day.

Actually at his press conference, Hangartner revealed that his current weight is about 315 pounds. Ironically, Duke Preston is listed as 326 pounds although the relative weights are almost meaningless. Being able to anchor is as much about technique, quickness, etc.

My take/guess on the whole guard/center issue is that they would use center over guard as a tie-breaker.

It just so happens that centers Mack and Unger are both rated higher than guards Levitre and Robinson. But if on their board the Bills had a center and a guard rated equally, if it came to a choice between say Unger and Levitre I would bet the Bills would take Unger because of his position versatility. All things being equal you want guys who can play multiple positions. Both Mack and Unger showed in the Senior Bowl that they would be competent guards. On the other hand, Robinson and Levitre have little if any experience at center.