New Deal For Stroud

Sherman

Exactly my thoughts, and look how long Teddy Washington played for after Buffalo.

Ayup.

Guys like Pat Williams ( :thumbsup: ), Jamal Williams and Casey Hampton are all older than Stroud. They also all made the Pro Bowl last year. Age really isnt that big of a deal for a space eater.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't the signing that I'm upset with, it is that I didn't take that into account, and now that will leave less money to sign or resign other players. This definitely limits what we can do through out the rest of FA.

That is the problem

I think we're done in FA for the most part. The only other player I see us signing POSSIBLY would be Kendall Simmons.

Bye bye Peters.

EXACTLY what I thought when I read the story.

FWIW - here's Rotoworld's take:

Stroud is essentially getting a new four-year, $28 million contract. $12 million is guaranteed and he'll get $16M in the first two seasons. Stroud turns 31 in June, battled injuries in each of the 2005-2007 seasons, and isn't nearly the pass rusher he once was. It's pretty surprising that the Bills are extending his deal when he was already signed through 2010.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=1429

This ain't gonna make Peters or Jackson any happier, that's for sure!

Relax...first off screw peters. He has a nice contract already. He is just a little B word thats all. And Jackson, he will be taken care of once Peters is traded and the cash is freed up some. Get used to Fat Boy Peters being gone.

Honestly, I think Stroud has a big year this year, and I think the office is expecting big things from him now that he is fully healthy, has a year under his belt under our system, and we are getting Schobel back. So if he has a pro bowl year, he would have cost even more to resign later, so I really like this move.

Honestly, I think Stroud has a big year this year, and I think the office is expecting big things from him now that he is fully healthy, has a year under his belt under our system, and we are getting Schobel back. So if he has a pro bowl year, he would have cost even more to resign later, so I really like this move.

Hmmm...signing a player before they get to that level of play to save money. Why didn't the Bills do that with Peters?

Oh yeah...they did...

it's quite unfortunate that peters is too dumb to see the message here - show up, play hard, get paid

I just read Tim's article, and I think the Bills may have chosen this time to give Stroud a deal, to make a statement to Peters. Unfortunately, as you state, I'm not certain Peters will ever understand that message.

First of all, one has to question his bottom line intelligence. Add to that, his agent, who (based on last year's negotiation) seems to hae Jason's ear, and keeps him away from the Bills FO.

Peters may never really hear/understand the message.

How could it be that the deal adds no new years? If true, it should go down as one of the dumbest moves by any franchise in any sport, ever.

It's a great economic move. he's now signed thru 2011 which is an uncapped year.

Bye bye Peters.

No way. This signing has no impact on Peters. Look at the the Redskins, they always found a way to get around the cap.

huh :thumbsup:

here's your salary cap figures genius http://www.billsdaily.com/frontoffice/salarycap.shtml

Be nice! We're all Bills' fans here, let's not lose sight of that.

He wasn't. He was just on Sirius/NFL athough and said that the Bills told him when he came here that if he played well and stayed healthy that they would extend his deal.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the Bills trade down and take DT Peria Jerry to compliment Stroud. Jerry plays violently and could be the next Tommie Harris. The problem is that the ONLY team I see Buffalo down with would be the Detroit Lions. We should all hope that the Lions take OT jason Smith with their 1st pick and then want to trade up with their second 1st rder (#20) to grab a QB (Strafford or Sanchez).

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/07/...eal-for-stroud/

Peters/Jackson are you watching what going to off season activites does for negotiations?

WTF? :thumbsup:

Sometimes I think the Inner Circle Jerks do this illogical spending on purpose, just to justify their own salaries. They have the big obvious Pro Bowl LT in the prime of his career they should have spent that money on. They have the older valuable running back who has earned a solid contract they could have spent that money on. Instead, they waste it on the former Pro Bowl NT already over 30 years old on the downside of his career, who is already making good money for the next two seasons, and has not even mentioned wanting a new deal!?! :flirt:

What next? A new deal for J.P. Losman because he hasn't sold his home in downtown Buffalo yet, and he could be the best 3rd string QB in the NFL???

Keeps the big guy happy. I'm cool with it, he is 30 but he played well and is a great player at an important position. Hope Peters takes a page out of Stroud's book. Make your desire for a pay raise known, but bust your ass and show you deserve it too. Have a good attitude about and you'll be rewarded.

Personally I like the message it sends.......

Fullfill your obligations and you will be taken care of........

I am so ready for Peters to be traded.

If they trade Peters, even if they spend the first 4 picks on the OL, history indicates that they will still screw it up and end up with poor players

They are totally incompetent at identifying what makes a quality OL.

Whether blowing the #4 pick on a fat RT instead of taking the stud LT, or paying $50 mil for a G they cut 2 years later, the front office (read Linda Bogdan) is totally inept at scouting OL talent in college, the pros or on their own team.

the only quality LT they have had in 15 years was pure luck as they actually cut him.

Good luck with that OL in 2009 if they trade Peters

making good money for the next two seasons, and has not even mentioned wanting a new deal!?! :thumbsup:

Not everyone spouts off at the mouth when they are looking for more money, there is a classier way of doing it. Lee Evans made it clear that he wanted more $ & ended up with a huge deal just like the Bills promised. Lee never missed a day of practice, showed up for everything & played hard for his new check. I think that Peters needs to take a look at what the Bills offered and realize that tripling his salary after a subpar year is not going to happen & if his greed overcomes his common sense, ask for his walking papers.

WTF? :rolleyes:

...and has not even mentioned wanting a new deal!?! :blink:

From what I remember there *was* talk of him getting an extension if things worked out not long after we traded for him. Regardless, in my opinion it was a solid move - he did a nice job in the middle, he's a team leader and if we hit in the draft and get better on the outside he could become a monster in the middle!

Ironic that Drew "The Devil" Rosenhaus gets a fair deal done, but Peters agent is telling him that he needs to be THE highest paid OL in the league.

Here's to hoping Stroud has a few more Pro Bowl seasons left in him! :beer:

DTs in the mold of Stroud, Williams, Washington, Adams, etc can continue to play very productively well into their 30s. great extension, AND it sends a message to Peters. good move.

yeah...what you said! :rolleyes:

How could it be that the deal adds no new years? If true, it should go down as one of the dumbest moves by any franchise in any sport, ever.

apparently you missed the part that he is signed for 4 total years now, throguh 2012 or age 35, as opposed to 2010 and age 33. I'll take it. He's a top 10 DT in the game and should be paid as such.

If they trade Peters, even if they spend the first 4 picks on the OL, history indicates that they will still screw it up and end up with poor players

They are totally incompetent at identifying what makes a quality OL.

Whether blowing the #4 pick on a fat RT instead of taking the stud LT, or paying $50 mil for a G they cut 2 years later, the front office (read Linda Bogdan) is totally inept at scouting OL talent in college, the pros or on their own team.

the only quality LT they have had in 15 years was pure luck as they actually cut him.

Good luck with that OL in 2009 if they trade Peters

dead on. Our Scouting staff has not hit on one good OL in 10 years. Our best two in the draft are butler and jennings - nothing to write home about. Peters was a donahoe "lightening in a bottle." Remember the talk of duke preston? bust. Mike williams? bust.. I wrote all this a week ago, but Modrak and Guy clearly have no ability at scouting OL. At least this year is deep at OT. It be hard to miss with Oher at 11...

dead on. Our Scouting staff has not hit on one good OL in 10 years. Our best two in the draft are butler and jennings - nothing to write home about. Peters was a donahoe "lightening in a bottle." Remember the talk of duke preston? bust. Mike williams? bust.. I wrote all this a week ago, but Modrak and Guy clearly have no ability at scouting OL. At least this year is deep at OT. It be hard to miss with Oher at 11...

My sense is that Oher is not a Bills type player. I say this because he has a documented learning disability which has nothing to do with intelligence of course but nonetheless, creates problems in learning the pro offense. If you look at the typical profile of Bills draftees and signees (and of course there are exceptions) they like guys who score high on the Wonderlich test and are studious type players. I think this might make Oher a non-starter as a draftee.

I keep harping on this but apparently it has no currency here. The Bills signed Buddy Nix to bolster our college scouting. He is one of the most respected talent evaluators in the NFL. He was the Assistant GM in San Diego up until a few months ago. He went to the Chargers with John Butler and A.J. Smith but somehow decided he'd rather return to the Bills this offseason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Nix

Doesn't anyone else think that his return might make a significant improvement in our draft fortunes?