Would you ever consider getting a gun?

PTS

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, appreciate the insight. You guys really painted a nice picture why you guys like living in Alaska. Well done dickhead.

You're getting the response you deserve. You asked an incredibly stupid question with the typical narrow, uninformed view . It's no different than the response I'd give to someone who thinks all there is to Buffalo is snow. Anyone who has "lived" in either area knows there's a hell of a lot more to each than the stereotypes. I doubt my heating bill is much higher than anyone who lives in the Northeast (I've never paid $1600 a YEAR to heat my house, much less a month), our winters are neither six months long, nor do they have "45 minutes" of daylight. The average person isn't going to experience any more crime in Anchorage than any other U.S. city its size, and I'm married.

Shame on you. And if you think that an insult from you has any effect, you're quite mistaken. Dickhead? However will I recover? :worthy:

You're getting the response you deserve. You asked an incredibly stupid question with the typical narrow, uninformed view . It's no different than the response I'd give to someone who thinks all there is to Buffalo is snow. Anyone who has "lived" in either area knows there's a hell of a lot more to each than the stereotypes. I doubt my heating bill is much higher than anyone who lives in the Northeast (I've never paid $1600 a YEAR to heat my house, much less a month), our winters are neither six months long, nor do they have "45 minutes" of daylight. The average person isn't going to experience any more crime in Anchorage than any other U.S. city its size, and I'm married.

Shame on you. And if you think that an insult from you has any effect, you're quite mistaken. Dickhead? However will I recover? :worthy:

In all honesty, Alaska is the most incredibly beautiful place I've ever seen. Anchorage is also a great city to have a good time in. I can think of many reasons to live there.

You have remarkable Patience in dealing with the idiots. Lost cause though. Next he will be weighing in with something he saw on "ice road truckers" presuming that's a everyday commute to work in Anchorage.

You have remarkable Patience in dealing with the idiots. Lost cause though. Next he will be weighing in with something he saw on "ice road truckers" presuming that's a everyday commute to work in Anchorage.

Fortunately, you would never resort to stereotyping places like SF, NYC, etc. You are above all that. :worthy:

Trader, can you differentiate between NYS laws and military 7 uses of deadly force? The military is pretty strict and defined as well, and it's what I've been 'programmed' to encompass.

Just interested in knowing if there are more restrictions in a 'civilian' scenario.

It's totally different the better comparison would be to a police officer and the military. In the military you have no obligation to retreat in fact it is just the opposite. Similarly a Police officer in the line of duty had no obligation to retreat.

As a civilian If you are carrying a gun in NYS and you shoot someone who steals your car you will be tried as a criminal.

The only defense and note you would be face an inquiry panel even though you are not the criminal was if you acted in fear of your life and you would be obligated to testify to a panel (similar to a grand jury i believe) someone can correct me if i am wrong on the jury part.

that you were afraid you were going to be killed by the criminal. Then and only then can you use deadly force. You are not justified in shooting the perpetrator unless you are in fear of your life.

You cannot use deadly force in NYS in defense of Property only in defense of yours or someone else's life. I do believe there is also something about preventing a rape as well.

It is very complex and not very clear either. For example if you were being assulted and fired a weapon at the attacker

Then the attacker turned his back to you and you fired again and killed him with the second shot. You would be on the defensive as to why you kept firing when the attack was over. I would suggest to you that if you are holding a semiautomatic pistol in your hand during a life or death encounter the line is real fuzzy as to when you cease fire.

A firearms insturctor will tell you don't stop until the attacker is on the ground and defenseless. In NYS the law may tell you something else.

Fortunately, you would never resort to stereotyping places like SF, NYC, etc. You are above all that. :worthy:

No because I have been in those places. I do not think all NYC residents are muggers, nor do I think all SF residents are flaming gays. In contrast to you,and that debby freak who have never been to Alaska, and like to assume all Alaskans are blubber chewing wild men living in darkness, I do not beat up on people for where they live.

No because I have been in those places. I do not think all NYC residents are muggers, nor do I think all SF residents are flaming gays. In contrast to you,and that debby freak who have never been to Alaska, and like to assume all Alaskans are blubber chewing wild men living in darkness, I do not beat up on people for where they live.

Me?

Sorry. I should not have lumped you in with bzral,or nozzle nuts,or whatever that simpleton is going by these days. My apologies.

Jesus Christ, I was just trying to make a joke, take it easy. Maybe it was poor attempt at humor, but nonetheless, do not take it so personal. I have known a few friends that have vacationed in Alaska(always in the middle of summer) that have told me it is the most beautifull place they have ever seen. All places have there good & bad features.

As far as Alaska D, you have not been around here long enough. The guy is a flat out jerk. I have seen posts that he started that he shoots insults to another poster, continued the insults & the moment said poster fires back, AD takes it upon himself to suspend the poster. Dr Negativity comes immediately to mind. I was half expecting to be suspended today. Apologies for insulting where you live even though it was taken way out of context by you & AD.

20/20 this Friday at 10pm is titled "If I Only Had a Gun".

20/20's website

Looks interesting and very scary...

I will likely watch it but is looks like the Brady bill types in action. Many more people are killed by cars and trucks but we don't ban them.

If there were no guns would there be no sensless murder? Or would a madman hijack a semi truck and run it into your kids soccer game?

Tim Mcvey didn't need a gun to do the Ok city bombing he did it with fertilizer.

We all know what happened on 9-11. The weapon - a razor blade. Are we going to ban them too?

I don't think the gun advocates myself included are to be completely off the hook on this though so I don't completely agree with the NRA ..

I do think there should be "a well regulated militia" and they should be quitely on the streets every day. What is needed is a well trained auxillary police force.

I do think there should be "a well regulated militia" and they should be quitely on the streets every day. What is needed is a well trained auxillary police force.

That's an interesting idea. With all the budget problems cities are having right now,we may see something like that soon.

Not to change topics, but has anybody read the 2nd and understand what means? It is only one sentence:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Again... There is a comma there (red) not a period. From what I read, the right to bear arms is only within the context of being part of a well regulated militia. Where does anybody get the idea that the amendment was meant to ensure that individuals have the absolute right to own firearms?

??

Not to change topics, but has anybody read the 2nd and understand what means? It is only one sentence:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Again... There is a comma there (red) not a period. From what I read, the right to bear arms is only within the context of being part of a well regulated militia. Where does anybody get the idea that the amendment was meant to ensure that individuals have the absolute right to own firearms?

??

What about the word "people" do not grasp? It is a citizens right not a states right .Thats why it IS IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS.

What about the word "people" do not grasp? It is a citizens right not a states right .Thats why it IS IN THE BILL OF RIGHTS.

Not trying to start a big constitutional argument here,but I have a question. How does the 2nd amendment guarantee our right to keep modern guns when the guns that we all own,shotguns,semi-autos,revolvers,didn't even exist when the Bill of Rights was written?

Not trying to start a big constitutional argument here,but I have a question. How does the 2nd amendment guarantee our right to keep modern guns when the guns that we all own,shotguns,semi-autos,revolvers,didn't even exist when the Bill of Rights was written?

For the same reason MSNBC can spew garbage on a satellite feed under the 1st,which was written when the printing press was the height of communication technology. Its the fundamental right,not the exact means of achieving it,that is important.

This all was recently decided by the Supreme court there are forums dedicated to it. Arms means the arms of the day. "The people" is a collective right. "The Militia" is not the National Guard.