Whitner as FS

Fingon

Yes I did...

Post #90-

"Sorry, but it stands to reason that even with a lousy pass rush that he'd have shined with his big playmaking ability in at least handful of games by now."

In 42 games he's played in, we'd have seen more than a few flashes by now. You guys are starting to sound like us former Losman supporters did a couple years ago. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Losman had a horrible offensive line, so what. He'd have sucked with a good line too. Whitner may not suck as badly, but the guy was picked in the top ten of the draft and is well deserving of the beat down.

Thats not an answer to the question, but more of a deflection.

Listen, we would all like to see more playmaking ability. But you are so gung ho on making your point regarding Whitner, that you can't concede that Pass rushing does make a difference. How can you not recognize that Palomolu, Reed and Sanders all are considered the best at their position, and that their teams ability to get to the QB doesn't play a huge role in their success?

It's ok to have a view about someone, but it's another to totally ignore some facts.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, we would all like to see more playmaking ability. But you are so gung ho on making your point regarding Whitner, that you can't concede that Pass rushing does make a difference. How can you not recognize that Palomolu, Reed and Sanders all are considered the best at their position, and that their teams ability to get to the QB doesn't play a huge role in their success?

It's ok to have a view about someone, but it's another to totally ignore some facts.

It IS an answer to your question. Since Whitner has not shown more than a few flashes of brilliance (which we would have seen if he did in fact have the same talent level of those all pro guy's) then it stands to reason he's probably never going to become even a very good player.

Would Losman have become a very good player with a great offensive line? No. So stop with the excuse machine for Donte Whitner. We've seen him play in 42 games and the jury is in...he's average and that makes him a big bust considering where the Bills took him. Great line or no great line.

It IS an answer to your question. Since Whitner has not shown more than a few flashes of brilliance (which we would have seen if he did in fact have the same talent level of those all pro guy's) then it stands to reason he's probably never going to become even a very good player.

Would Losman have become a very good player with a great offensive line? No. So stop with the excuse machine for Donte Whitner. We've seen him play in 42 games and the jury is in...he's average and that makes him a big bust considering where the Bills took him. Great line or no great line.

jury is in? :thumbsup:

This must be the same jury that found OJ simpson innocent

and no, it wasn't an answer to my question.

The one common denominator between Palomalu, Sanders and Reed is that they all play for teams that produce tremendous pressure on opposing QB's. Don't you think that plays a part in their play making abilities?

Would Polamalu get run over by Sammy Morris when he's in a perfect position to tackle him?

Would Ed Reed whiff on an INT or get beat by Anthony Fasano?

Would Bob Sanders stand around and watch an onsides kick dribble by him in a close, nationally televised game?

No.

I'm not discounting that Whitner doesn't have the benefit of a good supporting cast. That doesn't mean that his individual play cannot be evaluated. It can... and thus far, the verdict is not very good.

Would Polamalu get run over by Sammy Morris when he's in a perfect position to tackle him?

Would Ed Reed whiff on an INT or get beat by Anthony Fasano?

Would Bob Sanders stand around and watch an onsides kick dribble by him in a close, nationally televised game?

No.

I'm not discounting that Whitner doesn't have the benefit of a good supporting cast. That doesn't mean that his individual play cannot be evaluated. It can... and thus far, the verdict is not very good.

Ok, based on what you just said, now I know not to consider anything more you say regarding this topic.

Ok, based on what you just said, now I know not to consider anything more you say regarding this topic.

:thumbsup:

That's a weird response given that the guy was giving you a specific example of Whitner's general lack of superior playing ability. Care to explain your attempt at putting him down for that?

...he's average and that makes him a big bust considering where the Bills took him. Great line or no great line.

if you want to say average players that have been taken in picks 1-8 are "busts," then most of those players turn out to be busts. So the odds of picking a "non bust" player are pretty low. And if donte whitner is a "big bust" then what the hell is mike williams?

:thumbsup:

That's a weird response given that the guy was giving you a specific example of Whitner's general lack of superior playing ability. Care to explain your attempt at putting him down for that?

you really have a tough time comprehending what people are trying to tell you. First off, you didn't answer my question. My question was don't you think that Pass rush has something to do with people's play making ability? and you anwered something else.

Secondly,

Would Polamalu get run over by Sammy Morris when he's in a perfect position to tackle him.

This is what Dawg said. Anyone who says this and bases a players ability based on that, is unreasonable. Whatever he says from now on, in my view, has no more credibility, at least on this topic.

you really have a tough time comprehending what people are trying to tell you. First off, you didn't answer my question. My question was don't you think that Pass rush has something to do with people's play making ability? and you anwered something else.

Secondly,

Would Polamalu get run over by Sammy Morris when he's in a perfect position to tackle him.

This is what Dawg said. Anyone who says this and bases a players ability based on that, is unreasonable. Whatever he says from now on, in my view, has no more credibility, at least on this topic.

I did answer your question and just like you're doing with Dawg you're refusing to be accepting of very reasonable criticisms of Donte Whitner.

if you want to say average players that have been taken in picks 1-8 are "busts," then most of those players turn out to be busts. So the odds of picking a "non bust" player are pretty low. And if donte whitner is a "big bust" then what the hell is mike williams?

Mike Williams is a 5 out of 5 thumbs up on the bust scale.

Whitner is a 3 out of 5. The Bills will never live down passing on Ngata. It hurts badly, but still not nearly as badly as Williams.

Why did it hurt to watch Whitner get flattened by Sammy Morris? Here it is for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuh6G7MVsOQ

That is based on his play on the field. Not based on your obsession with his Facebook profile :thumbsup:

P.S. Did you write on his wall yet? Did you tell him you loved him?

Why did it hurt to watch Whitner get flattened by Sammy Morris? Here it is for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuh6G7MVsOQ

That is based on his play on the field. Not based on your obsession with his Facebook profile :thumbsup:

P.S. Did you write on his wall yet? Did you tell him you loved him?

That shows your ignorance. I hardly ever go on Facebook, and I definitely havn't visited Whitner's sight. So, basically you are talking out of your azz. Just remember, you're the one who is judging him on one play, and you have to know that you look like a complete fool for doing so. But, what difference does it make? you always sound foolish.

my only problem with donte was his statement "if trent hadn't gotten hurt, we'd be 6-0" after the arizona game... in which he played in... and the buffalo bills allowed 40+ points in.

Wow, didnt hear that...thats hilarious...I like Donte, but what a stupid statement...hahaha

That shows your ignorance. I hardly ever go on Facebook, and I definitely havn't visited Whitner's sight. So, basically you are talking out of your azz. Just remember, you're the one who is judging him on one play, and you have to know that you look like a complete fool for doing so. But, what difference does it make? you always sound foolish.

He gave you three plays to use as support for his argument that Whitner doesn't have top tiered talent. Can you give us three plays to support why you think Whitner does exhibit top tiered talent?

He gave you three plays to use as support for his argument that Whitner doesn't have top tiered talent. Can you give us three plays to support why you think Whitner does exhibit top tiered talent?

If I know Magox, probably not...lol...

You making new friends there Magox :thumbsup:

"It's ok to have a view about someone, but it's another to totally ignore some facts"............FUNNY line from a JP HATER.

You keep dodging my question. just because you say you have answered it, doesn't mean you have. So I will ask you again:

The one common denominator between Palomalu, Sanders and Reed is that they all play for teams that produce tremendous pressure on opposing QB's. Don't you think that plays a part in their play making abilities?

Forget about Whitner, answer the question.

Also, in regards to those 3 brilliant examples that DOG provided, are you kidding me? You really consider those examples in how you can judge a player? If you are standing by DOG on this one, then your even more foolish than he is. So that's on you.

Alpha, I am glad to not even come close to having anything that resembles being a friend like DOG and Trollboybillsfan, and I know you're still a little sore about yesterday, but forget about that for a second, what do you think about Whitner? do you think that play where he got rolled on by Sammy Morris is a way that should characterize his career? I'm almost afraid to hear your answer.

In regards to Bizell. I've said this before. As long as I'm on the other side of what Bizell thinks, then I'm A OK with that :thumbsup:

You keep dodging my question. just because you say you have answered it, doesn't mean you have. So I will ask you again:

Forget about Whitner, answer the question.

Also, in regards to those 3 brilliant examples that DOG provided, are you kidding me? You really consider those examples in how you can judge a player? If you are standing by DOG on this one, then your even more foolish than he is. So that's on you.

Alpha, I am glad to not even come close to having anything that resembles being a friend like DOG and Trollboybillsfan, and I know you're still a little sore about yesterday, but forget about that for a second, what do you think about Whitner? do you think that play where he got rolled on by Sammy Morris is a way that should characterize his career? I'm almost afraid to hear your answer.

In regards to Bizell. I've said this before. As long as I'm on the other side of what Bizell thinks, then I'm A OK with that :thumbsup:

Any one of them would have established themselves as very good players just the way that Clements, Greer and McGee did without a good pass rush in front of them. Hell, McKelvin has shown more playmaking ability on defense in one year than Whitner has in three freaking years. So while they are greatly helped with a pass rush, they would still be great players here regardless since we have had players in the secondary excel in recent years. Whitner never has established himself and is changing positions because he has been a failure at strong safety. That's not a very promising event for Whitner excuse makers like yourself.

Have those three plays ready to back up your argument against Dawg yet?