The newspaper crisis has hit the High Schools

Just Jack

Jamesville-DeWitt High School newspaper goes paper-free

by Elizabeth Doran / The Post-Standard Friday April 03, 2009, 6:40 AM

DeWitt, NY -- After more than 50 years of publication, the award-winning Jamesville-DeWitt High School student newspaper will print its last hard copy in May before switching to online only.

"I was devastated, at first," said junior Claire Mooney, an assistant news editor at the Rampage. "All through high school, I had this nice solid version of the paper to hand out to students to read. Now, it won't be the same. I don't believe it will get the same attention online as it does in print."

Many students on the Rampage staff are distressed by the decision, made primarily to save money but also to reflect a trend in the newspaper industry.

--more at the link above--

Welcome to the exciting, glamorous world of journalism, kids.

By the by, if you click on the BOSTON GLOBE??? link in my sig, you'll learn that they may beat even the SF Chronicle to the exit...

Yeah. The Boston Globe. THAT Boston Globe.

Heaven help us all.

By the by, if you click on the BOSTON GLOBE??? link in my sig, you'll learn that they may beat even the SF Chronicle to the exit...

Executives from the Times Co. and Globe made the demands Thursday morning in an approximately 90- minute meeting with leaders of the newspaper's 13 unions, union officials said.

13 Unions? Do they really need 13 unions to run a paper?

Executives from the Times Co. and Globe made the demands Thursday morning in an approximately 90- minute meeting with leaders of the newspaper's 13 unions, union officials said.

13 Unions? Do they really need 13 unions to run a paper?

When you start counting the pressroom employees, and the delivery people, and et cetera, et cetera ...

I'm guessing the Guild is the only one actually in the newsroom, but I could be wrong about that.

Not sure what percentage of papers are unionized, to be honest. Pretty sure Gannett isn't, for example, or they wouldn't have been able to kick Pitoniak and his decades of seniority to the curb in Rochester. Buffalo is -- in fact, Sully was the president of the local, last I knew.

Welcome to the exciting, glamorous world of journalism, kids.

Yeah. The Boston Globe. THAT Boston Globe.

Heaven help us all.

The journalism profession has been on the decline for a long time. I used to work in radio news and got out 13 years ago when our newsroom went from 9 people to 2 people in a matter of 2 years after our station started using a network feed for our region, pretty much ditching local content.

I had the choice of transferring to butt f__k nowhere, or get into computers......hmmm.

The journalism profession has been on the decline for a long time. I used to work in radio news and got out 13 years ago when our newsroom went from 9 people to 2 people in a matter of 2 years after our station started using a network feed for our region, pretty much ditching local content.

I had the choice of transferring to butt f__k nowhere, or get into computers......hmmm.

Yeah, I was a radio program director for years and radio news rooms went out with bell bottoms. Now it's newspapers and TV isn't far behind. No one understands that a free independent press is vital to a democracy.

PTR

we havent had a (dominant) independent press in a very long time...

Yeah, I was a radio program director for years and radio news rooms went out with bell bottoms. Now it's newspapers and TV isn't far behind. No one understands that a free independent press is vital to a democracy.

PTR