Tom Hicks - owner of Stars and Rangers

If the current economic conditions persist, expect more defaulting by team owners. I've heard that a number of NHL owners are in serious trouble financially -- to the point that teams could start folding at the end of next season.

I can't imagine what the interest payment would be on a 350 million dollar loan...

If my calculations are correct, assuming a 30 yr term like a mortgage at 5%, monthly interest would run about $1.4 million.

But who knows how many sports team owners have mortgaged their franchises? For all we know Ralph hocked the Bills, which would be incredibly smart of him...get all the value out of his asset tax-free before he dies. That could be the reason he doesn't want to talk about selling the team. The banks already hold the paper on the Bills. Not saying it's true, just possible.

PTR

If the current economic conditions persist, expect more defaulting by team owners. I've heard that a number of NHL owners are in serious trouble financially -- to the point that teams could start folding at the end of next season.

Gee you mean paying players $7,000,000 a year to play hockey is a bad idea. Who'd a thunk it.