Hostage situation in Binghamton

DPR4444

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am out of a job while professional reporters get paid for this....sorry to hijack this thread like this

And CNN kept screwing up the location, calling it upstate NY (it's Southern Tier) and 130 miles north of NYC (it's west). They at least got the mileage correct.

And CNN kept screwing up the location, calling it upstate NY (it's Southern Tier) and 130 miles north of NYC (it's west). They at least got the mileage correct.

It is Upstate NY. First of all, anybody in NYC calls everything north of Westchester Co. Upstate NY.........But, even I would consider Upstate NY anything above the parallel line that separates NY and PA..........And, it's is north of NYC - and west - it's northwest.

I keep harping on this, and I know nobody really gives a crap...

In general usage, Upstate New York means "not NTC or Long Island...and maybe not Westchester". That makes it a basically useless designator, but it is what lazy people, and lazy media, use.

But, even I would consider Upstate NY anything above the parallel line that separates NY and PA.

What? Some of the southern most parts of NY state are "Upstate" to you?

See what I mean by a worthless designator?

I keep harping on this, and I know nobody really gives a crap...

In general usage, Upstate New York means "not NTC or Long Island...and maybe not Westchester". That makes it a basically useless designator, but it is what lazy people, and lazy media, use.

What? Some of the southern most parts of NY state are "Upstate" to you?

See what I mean by a worthless designator?

In a situation like this I would say who cares, I want to know more important details, like is the guy still killing innocent people.

Yes, you don't consider Olean part of Upstate NY? Would call it Downstate?

I wouldn't call it either.

My point is "Upstate" and "Downstate" have very little geographic meaning, when it comes to NYS.

I would call Olean "The Finger Lakes Region" or perhaps the "Southern Tier", more informally. NYS has several regions, which make geographic sense, and give someone an actual sense of where the city/town is. Here are the regions of NYS:

http://www.visitnewyorkstate.net/regions/

NY STATE REGIONS

1. Chautauqua-Allegheny

2. Niagara

3. Finger Lakes

4. Thousand Islands

5. Adirondacks

6. Central Leatherstocking

7. Saratoga-Capital

8. Catskills

9. Hudson Valley

10. Long Island

11. New York City

But, even more general regions like WNY, Central NY, Capital Region, Adirondacks, etc would work. At least they would indicate there is something other than "not in the NYC area", to consider, when you think about a particular town, city, village, etc.

If Olean is Upstate, and Watertown is also Upstate, what good is Upstate, as a designator?

Yes, those are specific regions and really let's you know where you are, but there definitely is an Upstate vs. Downstate division/rivalry, esp. regarding taxes and state funds/mentality/ etc.............Just like the North & South are divided by the Mason-Dixon. Then you have your regions - the Deep South, New England, etc.

This explains it well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_New_York

Yes, those are specific regions and really let's you know where you are, but there definitely is an Upstate vs. Downstate division/rivalry, esp. regarding taxes and state funds/mentality/ etc.............Just like the North & South are divided by the Mason-Dixon. Then you have your regions - the Deep South, New England, etc.

This explains it well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_New_York

I saw that article, and it is horrible. Some person keeps bolding one phrase as if he/she is the decider of what constitutes Upstate and Downstate.

It also currently carries two warnings, they usually are a sign that something is amiss, at that page:

This section may contain original research or unverified claims. Please improve the article by adding references. See the talk page for details. (March 2009)

This section is written like a personal reflection or essay and may require cleanup. Please help improve it by rewriting it in an encyclopedic style.

But, if that help you, by all means use it. To me that's like calling the San Diego area Southern California, and everything above it, "Northern California", it only has meaning from an NYC-centric perspective, and is insulting at it's base to anyone in the rest of the state. At least, that's the way I see it.

i am out of a job while professional reporters get paid for this....sorry to hijack this thread like this

The gunman shot and killed himself and may be among the dead, police said.

Wow! Pending the Coroner's autopsy, evidently nothing is certain..

:thumbsup:

The maniac who shot 13 people dead in a Binghamton immigration center before killing himself was described Friday as an angry loner who loved guns, hated America and talked about assassinating the President

Sounds like he could be one of a few people who post here.

It is Upstate NY. First of all, anybody in NYC calls everything north of Westchester Co. Upstate NY.........But, even I would consider Upstate NY anything above the parallel line that separates NY and PA..........And, it's is north of NYC - and west - it's northwest.

Who said NYC makes decision on what things are called? NYC is lower Newark.

Go make up your own definitions just will not listen to them.

I saw that article, and it is horrible. Some person keeps bolding one phrase as if he/she is the decider of what constitutes Upstate and Downstate.

It also currently carries two warnings, they usually are a sign that something is amiss, at that page:

But, if that help you, by all means use it. To me that's like calling the San Diego area Southern California, and everything above it, "Northern California", it only has meaning from an NYC-centric perspective, and is insulting at it's base to anyone in the rest of the state. At least, that's the way I see it.

I don't need to use that article to help me. I already know what most people consider Upstate NY. If you want to make up your own definitions, then by all means do it...........I asked already if Olean would be considered Upstate NY, but you didn't answer. What exactly is Upstate NY, if it's not what I think it is?