What would you have given to Crowell?

ans4e64

Buccaneers | Crowell contract details

Share: Tweet me!

Thu, 02 Apr 2009 14:17:29 -0700

Updating a previous report, Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers LB Angelo Crowell signed a one-year deal worth a base salary of $2 million.

When Angelo and the Bills had those talks late in the game a few weeks ago, I assumed we didn't re-sign him because they were far apart on contract details. Upon hearing that his deal in TB is only a 1 year deal for $2mil I must say, that's kind of disappointing. I would have definitely signed him for that, filled an important hole that we now need to spend a draft pick on, and had the $8.5 mil come off the books from him and Owens next year if he turns out to be a shell of his former self.

I guess the one positive thing is, maybe we can sign one of the other LB's out there to a similar deal, although unlikely.

Here is the link, sorry if already posted:

When Angelo and the Bills had those talks late in the game a few weeks ago, I assumed we didn't re-sign him because they were far apart on contract details. Upon hearing that his deal in TB is only a 1 year deal for $2mil I must say, that's kind of disappointing. I would have definitely signed him for that, filled an important hole that we now need to spend a draft pick on, and had the $8.5 mil come off the books from him and Owens next year if he turns out to be a shell of his former self.

I guess the one positive thing is, maybe we can sign one of the other LB's out there to a similar deal, although unlikely.

$2 Million sounds very reasonable. Maybe the Bills were not convinced that he was fully healthy or maybe they were still bitter over last year. Who knows?

I have to think there are more factors than money that go into a player's decision. Do you want to play in snow? Do you want to get your sack handed to you by the Pats* twice a year? Are there any good strip clubs within 5 minutes of the stadium?

PTR

$2 Million sounds very reasonable. Maybe the Bills were not convinced that he was fully healthy or maybe they were still bitter over last year. Who knows?

It's possible he turned down that kind of $$ from the Bills.

I have to think there are more factors than money that go into a player's decision. Do you want to play in snow? Do you want to get your sack handed to you by the Pats* twice a year? Are there any good strip clubs within 5 minutes of the stadium?

PTR

ya but $100 worth of lap dances in Tampa can buy you twice as much in Buffalo

PTR

I understand that, but I have to think that if that were the case, he wouldn't have gone back to talk to the Bills. If he didn't want to play here, why go in for a visit/interview/meeting?

ya but $100 worth of lap dances in Tampa can buy you twice as much in Buffalo

A good contact lappy is $20 in FL and Canada. But you don't need a passport to hit the clubs in FL. No touchy or total nudity in Buffalo clubs.

PTR

I'm not surprised he got that, I said I was surprised the Bills wouldn't do that deal.

If they didn't want to give him more than 2 million for a one year contract, I would guess it was for good reason. Nobody knows about Crowell like they do. I doubt they brought him in for no reason but I also don't think either side wanted eachother. The Bills probably wanted him if it was a dirt cheap deal and he probably wanted to try and up his value. Maybe Crowell took the Bills offer right back to Tampa and said this is what I cost.

That is disappointing for sure. Crowell is a talented and versatile LB and our need at LB is all too real. He's a guy we drafted and groomed and someon we know can play in our defense. I know he came back for a visit, but I'm surprised that the Bills wouldn't offer him more than that. I would've easily given him a a one year, $3M deal. Or even a two year, $5M deal

bills might still have a shot at crowell - there is no guarantee that he actually makes the bucs roster and sees any of that 2M.........he could end up being cut in camp

that being said, i'd gladly give cato june the exact same deal if i'm the bills

My idea of what happened is this: Crowell's agent called the Bills and said, "Look, you losers hate my guy, and my gutless guy ain't real happy with you. You guys are looking to steal linebackers for nothing, and we're trying to swindle teams into paying my guy more than he deserves coming off an injury and screwing his team and teammates. So why don't we do what we always do and lie to the media, make like we made nice and love each other, and that will force the crappy teams that want my gimp to pony up 500K or so more for the schitty one year deal they're offering by thinking you may sign him, and you guys can get the over-hyped, lowly crappy ex-Colts that no one wants to come down 500K off their high-Shetland Pony and sign the crappy one-year deal you offered them to give you insurance against the trainwreck you have starting now."

It was a win-win for both.

A healthy Crowell was the best linebacker we've had on this team in 5 years. I think Ralph and his shriveling brain got too personal with that IR move last year. The smart play would've been to carry the roster spot and evaluate Angelo after the 10 week rehab and see how he played at the end of the season. It wasn't like Ellison was lighting it up back there anyway, and Crowell had too much potential to just let get away the way we did.

If it's true that he signed a simple 2 mil one year deal with Tampa, that tells me he had sour grapes from the IR move and didn't want Buffalo anyway, or that his rehab hasn't been successful or his physical was questionable.

I agree with the previous poster that not having to burn a high draft pick on a LB would really help us on draft day this year.

Good teams keep their good players unless it's over money, and this wasn't. (sniff sniff. We miss you Pat Williams and your five annual hawaii vacations and number one defensive ranking since Donablow let you go)

Crowell is apparantly damaged goods. I live in Tampa, and he wasn't able to participate in mini-camp this week, due to his knee. They say he "may be" ready for the May mini-camp. They also say he may not make the team, and that little or none of his $ was guaranteed. I guess the Bills FO got this one right.