I never learn

I just bit on downloading IE 8. "Newer, faster, better, safer, blah-blah..." After 25 minutes of the computer downloading and restarting IE8 has big black areas where you can't see buttons or menus. So now I'm un- and re-installing it. Frigggin' Bill Gates crap.

PTR

I just bit on downloading IE 8. "Newer, faster, better, safer, blah-blah..." After 25 minutes of the computer downloading and restarting IE8 has big black areas where you can't see buttons or menus. So now I'm un- and re-installing it. Frigggin' Bill Gates crap.

PTR

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/firefox.html

http://www.opera.com/

I think, in a few months, IE8 might be a decent browser. I'm a Firefox fan, though...so I'm in no rush to try it. (Unfortunately, I will have to play with it soon, because my clients will be.)

If you learn anything from this lesson, it's never adopt a totally new version of anything, on your everyday machine. Wait for the real world beta to work out the kinks.

Actually I've used Firefox for years until it started to screw with me. It stopped remembering log ins. For example, every time I came to The Stadium Wall I had to log in. even if I said to remember me. What a pain in the rear. It did that for every website I visit that required a log in. I even updated my version of Firefox and it still did it. I looked everywhere in my settings to see fi something got changed. No luck.

I still use IE for it's FTP ability, though the new IE 8 makes me open a whole seperat epage for FTP function. Kind of a pain.

FYI, reinstalling IE 8 made it work right. I should also mention another annoying flaw in Firefox: it's a total resource hog! Leave it open and within 30 minutes it will be sucking up 250MB of your RAM for no reason. Try to run anything fancy like a video and it uses 99% of your CPU and makes your whole computer stammer.

PTR

It stopped remembering log ins. For example, every time I came to The Stadium Wall I had to log in. even if I said to remember me. What a pain in the rear. It did that for every website I visit that required a log in.

You should never have a browser remember your logins anyway... It's a major security vulnerability.

I should also mention another annoying flaw in Firefox: it's a total resource hog! Leave it open and within 30 minutes it will be sucking up 250MB of your RAM for no reason. Try to run anything fancy like a video and it uses 99% of your CPU and makes your whole computer stammer.

It sounds more like there might be something up with your computer.... I'm running Firefox on a ~7 year old laptop with only 256M of RAM, and it works great... Even on my main machine, which I leave on 24x7, it very rarely has a memory leak forcing me to restart it (maybe once every month or two).

Combine your FF experience with your IE8 issue, and I think there's something wrong with your OS. :thumbsup:

PTR

I've used IE6 for years, and had no problems. I just upgraded to IE7 (against my will - client requirements). Holy hell, what a dog. :thumbsup:

Firefox is rapidly becoming my browser of choice. Although if I truly had a choice (again, client requirements), I'd be using Linux.

You should never have a browser remember your logins anyway... It's a major security vulnerability.

It sounds more like there might be something up with your computer.... I'm running Firefox on a ~7 year old laptop with only 256M of RAM, and it works great... Even on my main machine, which I leave on 24x7, it very rarely has a memory leak forcing me to restart it (maybe once every month or two).

Combine your FF experience with your IE8 issue, and I think there's something wrong with your OS. :thumbsup:

So far all is working well with IE8. As for log ins, I'm talking baout chat forums like the Stadium Wall, not anything vital. I doubt the Russian mob wants to pretend they are PTR here.

The memory leak thing was really aggravating. It ground my computer to a halt and it only happens with Firefox. I've searched some computer forums and found that it's a problem others have as well. So Firefox is no perfect solution either. I have tried Google Chrome but found that it couldn't read certain pages correctly.

PTR