Atlas Shrugged

no matter how crappy of a movie, it's pretty much guaranteed to make a lot of money just by the name, and the hope that it will justify the crazy neocons.

"Neocons" would APPROVE of all the spending, you half-wit.

Most over-rated book, EVER.

As a novel, I agree that it's overrated because it's 30% a good story, 70% a lecture.

As a book that has had a lot of influence on the way people look at the world, I vehemently disagree. It sparked then--and now--a lot of thought.

As a novel, I agree that it's overrated because it's 30% a good story, 70% a lecture.

As a book that has had a lot of influence on the way people look at the world, I vehemently disagree. It sparked then--and now--a lot of thought.

Murray Rothbard,[12] Jeff Walker,[13] and Michael Shermer [14][15] have argued that Objectivism's claim "that there are objective truths and realities, particularly in the moral realm dealing with values"[15] contributes to manifestations of cultism that they found within the Objectivist movement, including slavish adherence to unprovable doctrine and extreme adulation of the founder. In his 1972 article "Sociology of the Ayn Rand Cult", libertarian intellectual Rothbard wrote that "the guiding spirit of the Randian movement was not individual liberty … but rather personal power for Ayn Rand and her leading disciples."[12][16] Shermer specifically cited the philosophical content of Objectivism as bearing responsibility for what he saw as cult-like behavior:

This describes--TO A TEE-- the guy who shoved Atlas Shrugged down my throat. COMPLETELY intolerant of other non-Randian perspectives while simultaneously backing "self-interest." Totally contradictory.

My point? Yeah, it got a lot of people thinking, it's kinda interesting and all, but it also got a lot of people to act like total, righetous a-holes.

This describes--TO A TEE-- the guy who shoved Atlas Shrugged down my throat. COMPLETELY intolerant of other non-Randian perspectives while simultaneously backing "self-interest." Totally contradictory.

My point? Yeah, it got a lot of people thinking, it's kinda interesting and all, but it also got a lot of people to act like total, righetous a-holes.

You say that as if it's a bad thing. :lol:

"Neocons" would APPROVE of all the spending, you half-wit.

Exactly. Of the 4 groups within the current Republican party - Neocons (Bush/Cheney), Paleocons (Pat Buchanan), Moderates (McCain before he won the 2008 presidential nomination), and Libertarians (Ron Paul) - the Neocons have the least in common with Rand's philosophy. The Iraq War, corporate welfare, large budget deficits, Patriot Act, No Child Left Behind, born again Christianity, etc...none of these ideas sit well with Objectivists. Of course, would you expect a poster like conner to understand political nuances? In his simple mind, all Republicans = bad and all Democrats = good on all issues for all eternity.

• 8 months later...