Public Service Notice for people on COBRA

KD in CA

I know there are several (or more) people here who have been laid off so I presume a number of you are paying for your health benefits in full via COBRA.

The February stimulus bill provides for a 65% reduction in premiums you are required to send your employer for COBRA. Also, if you turned down COBRA before, you might get a 2d bite at the apple. Contact your former employer if they haven't notified you yet.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-cobra-pre...eductionER.html

I know there are several (or more) people here who have been laid off so I presume a number of you are paying for your health benefits in full via COBRA.

The February stimulus bill provides for a 65% reduction in premiums you are required to send your employer for COBRA. Also, if you turned down COBRA before, you might get a 2d bite at the apple. Contact your former employer if they haven't notified you yet.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq-cobra-pre...eductionER.html

let me ask you something, how does Cobra work. I think it works that you pay what your employee pays to insure you & your family correct?

let me ask you something, how does Cobra work. I think it works that you pay what your employee pays to insure you & your family correct?

Right. You just stay on your existing health insurance when you leave the company, except after you leave you pay 100% of the premium. The new legislation calls for the gubmint (aka your fellow taxpayers) to foot 65% of the bill.

Right. You just stay on your existing health insurance when you leave the company, except after you leave you pay 100% of the premium. The new legislation calls for the gubmint (aka your fellow taxpayers) to foot 65% of the bill.

Who's paying for this?

The newly-printed money?

Also, if you were involuntarily terminated during the qualifying period (9/1/08-12/31/09) and you paid 102% of the cost for COBRA in March, then you can request a refund or credit to get 65% of it back.

Let me get this straight, you lose your job & they expect you to pay when your only getting unemployment 100% of the premium that your company was paying?

I think I pay around $100 every two weeks or $200 a month for my son, my wife & myself. My guess is(& it is only a guess) is that my company probably pays about $1000 a month. So not only do I lose my job but my monthly expenses go up about a 1,000. I got a question, how does anybody make it on unemployment.

Let me get this straight, you lose your job & they expect you to pay when your only getting unemployment 100% of the premium that your company was paying?

I'm not sure who "they" is, but who else would pay for your insurance if you didn't work there anymore? It's just like every other living expense. But to answer your question: yes.

I think I pay around $100 every two weeks or $200 a month for my son, my wife & myself. My guess is(& it is only a guess) is that my company probably pays about $1000 a month. So not only do I lose my job but my monthly expenses go up about a 1,000. I got a question, how does anybody make it on unemployment.

Unemployment is meant to be a stop gap, not a lifestyle. Thus the incentive to a) save money so you have something to fall back on if this happens and b) find another job ASAP.

And depending on the quality of your plan, family coverage likely costs around $1200-$1400 per month.

No one makes it on unemployment. That's the point. And COBRA is just a way to insure you get the coverage, not to make it affordable. If you're no longer working with your company why should they pick up their share?

Yes, but depending on your personal situation, many private insurance plans offer cheaper, customizable options.

I'm not sure who "they" is, but who else would pay for your insurance if you didn't work there anymore? It's just like every other living expense. But to answer your question: yes.

Unemployment is meant to be a stop gap, not a lifestyle. Thus the incentive to a) save money so you have something to fall back on if this happens and b) find another job ASAP.

And depending on the quality of your plan, family coverage likely costs around $1200-$1400 per month.

I understand, but I got to imagine the majority of people that collect unemployment probably take their chances & drop their health insurance all together. That is all i was trying to say.

No one makes it on unemployment. That's the point. And COBRA is just a way to insure you get the coverage, not to make it affordable. If you're no longer working with your company why should they pick up their share?

My brother-in-law has been on unemployment for almost 2 years now & he seems like he is doing alright. Of course he also got a buyout from GM for $100K. I think his unemployment just got extended again until June. How does NYS justify paying someone unemployment that long. No wonder why the state is broke.

My brother-in-law has been on unemployment for almost 2 years now & he seems like he is doing alright. Of course he also got a buyout from GM for $100K. I think his unemployment just got extended again until June. How does NYS justify paying someone unemployment that long. No wonder why the state is broke.

Does the EDD know he got a $100k severance from GM. And that's reason 1837 that the US car companies are going out of business.

Does the EDD know he got a $100k severance from GM. And that's reason 1837 that the US car companies are going out of business.

I don't know. All I know is he started collecting it back in June of 07 & he just got another extension until this june.