Idol Recap

John Adams

(References to multimedia can be seen at link in the sig)

The theme for this week's Idol is iTunes downloads. Or iTunes top downloads. Or hits. Compounding the lack of clear theme, the contestants visit Ryan Seacrest at the American Top 40 studios in Burbank where he plays some totally awesome sound drops and they laugh and laugh because Ryan is so !@#$ing "The man." Now, after a brief interlude from the master, on with the countdown...

(So many Kasey clips to choose from; this one is more current.)

Anoop Desai. Some Usher song. The snare drum is so damn loud that he’s hard to hear throughout the song. Not sure if his vocals are low or he's not loud. We know he can dance but he picked some awful non-dance Usher song. Terrible song choice and for once, I agree with Kara. (Kill me now.) Give me a funnel and some sticky floors because that was a fraternity party performance. Pretty lame.

Megan Corkery. Or Joy? Maybe she’ll be like the Bills terrible cornerback JD Williams who changed his number mid-season, then later switched his name to James (I stick with analogies I know people). Will I forget sh------- Megan Corkery and be amazed by Megan Joy? Umm, no. She sings some Bob Marley song. Her island affect in the middle of the song might be her most painful work yet. Even her appearance, which can sometimes be almost OK, wasn’t on this week. Could she please string together all the blingy chains and hang herself? America: please be rid of her.

Speaking of crazy people, could Paula look any more frightening?

Danny Gokey. What hurts the most. I love this song and predict he’ll WAY oversing it. It’s a better song sung without power—letting the words leak in. And here it goes. My first tip: In a slow ballad, DO NOT move about. He's a good dancer on stage and it pains him to be locked to the mic. This is apparent as his hands are up and down non-stop in Tin-Man like fashion. Clothes, look, and overdone vocals CLASH with the song choice. He sang well but it was not what it should have been. Judges loved it. Randy said he should rock around on stage—terrible advice for that particular song. Wrong.

Here's what that song is supposed to sound like (with a Kelly Clarkson guest appearance.)

Allison Iraheta. Don’t Speak. Cyndi Lauper look in full effect—odd, but only if you don't appreciate Cyndi, which I do. She changed the song up…very slow at the beginning. The early chorus didn’t grab me but !@#$ she can sing and got me again. I love this girl. Judges spent way too long on look—teen girls will pan her tonight, overlooking her stellar vocals. She could be in trouble because the judges were so !@#$ing dumb.

Scott McIntyre. Just the way you are. This is one of the most beautiful songs. Scott said he’s stripping it down? Since the original is just a piano and voice, could we be so lucky that he's stripping out the vocals tonight? For !@#$’s sake, what has he done with his hair? Between that and the collarless black leather jacket, someone’s been hassling the ‘Hoff. Also he’s unshaven and has a caterpillar ‘stache. Probably his best effort so far—vocal riffing and oversinging is anything but stripping down the song but it was OK, which for him is amazing.

Matt Giraud. You found me by the Fray. I hate the Fray so much. They suffer from "every song sounds the same" disease, or as DSM-IV calls it: Loverboy Syndrome.

(One of the worst Bandstand performances ever? Between the lip-syncing and guitar-syncing, it would be hard to be suck more.)

He’s going to have to sing his nuts off to overcome my bias. Doesn’t do it. Performance was not great but not terrible. He tried to sing like a superstar with fawning teens all around him. He looked like a pedophile DJ (redundant). On a positive note (dog), he’s the 2nd best musician on the show, following Scott. No judge ever gives him props for the piano. Judges crammed it up his ass.

Lil Rounds. I Surrender by Celine Dion. It is a pretty good song choice for her—she can blow out a Celine song and she does it. Judges basically tell her to not sing white people songs, which is obnoxious and borderline racist. The dress is not flattering and it actually distractingly bad—showing off her junk in the trunk. That, my readers, is obnoxious and borderline racist. (Though I like junk in the trunk so if anything, I’m an anti-racist.) Actually, the probalme isn't the junk as much as there's material bunching in the junk so her trunk looks particularly unattractive.

Her tears and daughter giving Randy a big hug is really cute—she’ll make it through an unfair judge panning.

Adam Lambert. Play That Funky Music White Boy. Couldn’t be a bigger dance hit. At every wedding. Risky to pick kind of a cheesy classic. If he doesn’t win it all, it will be a C.R.I.M.E. That’s really all there is left at this point. The look is 70s and goes great with a rearranged version of the song. Even though it’s self-indulgent, he’s earned the right to be self-indulgent. That’s how talented he is. The rest of the field has been and continues to be playing for second. It’s not even close. He’s touched every kind of music and been the best of the night every time. Just like last week, I can’t wait to see him again next week. STAR.

Kris Allen. Ain’t no sunshine. I haven’t liked this Archuletta wannabe for a while but I liked this. It’s distracting that his feet barely reach the pedals. Is he shorter than Seacrest? He did well until the final falsetto, which was off. Some member of his support team is !@#$ing frightening looking. Wish I could show the video.

Top: Lambert, (country mile), Allen, Iraheta.

Bottom. Like Thunderdome, there can be only one: Megan.

Excellent summary, as always.

I am hoping for an Allison/Adam final.

But last night, I think Scott M. and Kris Allen were the best--both with superb performances (which was surprising, from my perspective). It just shows you that this year's group is the best ever when bottom-feeders like Scott and Kris can rock out.

Excellent summary, as always.

I am hoping for an Allison/Adam final.

But last night, I think Scott M. and Kris Allen were the best--both with superb performances (which was surprising, from my perspective). It just shows you that this year's group is the best ever when bottom-feeders like Scott and Kris can rock out.

Scott butchered that song. Butchered. He was awful.

Kris did well but he has no star power.

Scott butchered that song. Butchered. He was awful.

We can agree to disagree on that one. But what's funny is that before he went on, I turned to my wife and said, "The dude needs to play NY State Of Mind, or some Billy Joel song." That was the perfect choice for him. Scott needs to work in a piano bar on a cruise ship.

Me too! :thumbsup:

Ditto but I think the teen girls will get to Allison before long. It makes no sense that she's ever been bottom 3 but she was almost out just a few weeks ago.

I predict Lambert over Gokey in the finals and hope for Lambert of Allison. Either way, if correctly packaged, Lambert could be a helluva front man and the 3rd Idol to make it big (after Clarkson and Underwood).

Ditto but I think the teen girls will get to Allison before long. It makes no sense that she's ever been bottom 3 but she was almost out just a few weeks ago.

I predict Lambert over Gokey in the finals and hope for Lambert of Allison. Either way, if correctly packaged, Lambert could be a helluva front man and the 3rd Idol to make it big (after Clarkson and Underwood).

Lambert could put on a hell of a Vegas show. Let the kid sing, dance, and perform. I'd go watch him perform a dozen songs or so if they were all like last night's show.

America finally got it right! <_<

See ya twitchy coughy sneezy girl! We'll be looking for ya on a Vivid DVD soon. :unsure:

Yes, she should have been gone after rockin robin! Even though she is easy on the eyes, I couldn't wait for her songs to end. She is so awkward! Although I do believe if she had picked the right song, she could really sound good. But her song selection has been really out there.

Also, is it me, or does Lil yell just about every song? She does have some pipes, but damn! I think with some coaching, she could be really good though.

Also, is it me, or does Lil yell just about every song? She does have some pipes, but damn! I think with some coaching, she could be really good though.

It's not just you. She is not good. Of all the R&B divas on the show in the past, she's the worst by far.

I will say this though-- the top-13 this year is really solid top to bottom. Even Corkrey--who hasn't been good--was unique and had the right look and deserved to be there.

And while I think Scott MacIntyre isn't great, he would be a terrific piano-bar singer on a cruise ship.

It's not just you. She is not good. Of all the R&B divas on the show in the past, she's the worst by far.

I will say this though-- the top-13 this year is really solid top to bottom. Even Corkrey--who hasn't been good--was unique and had the right look and deserved to be there.

And while I think Scott MacIntyre isn't great, he would be a terrific piano-bar singer on a cruise ship.

My wife and I talked about this last night but she thinks that there were people eliminated before the 13 that are better than whats there now. I kind of agree but I think the pressure is actually getting to some of these people.

Also Coughy Sneezy Twitchy girl kind of burned her Idol bridge last night when she told Simon she didn't care what he thought. They wouldn't have saved her anyway but you don't bite the hand thats feeding you. :thumbsup:

I gave up watching AI live. I DVR the two shows and then skip the songs if they are bad or boring and only listen to Simon & Paula. I continue to be amazed at how she struggles to spit out a sentence or two. Great TV!

They should just cut to the chase and eliminate everyone but Adam, Kris, Allison and maybe Danny and have a 3 or 4 person finale that lasts a month. That being said, Adam should be the runaway winner. The rest of them have made the cut for the AI Tour and should just bow out gracefully. They have no chance.

I gave up watching AI live. I DVR the two shows and then skip the songs if the are bad or boring and only listen to Simon & Paula. I continue to be amazed at how she struggles to spit out a sentence or two. Great TV!

I do the same, only I skip over Paula. She is unbearable to listen to. I also find the judges' comments to be tired and long. I told my wife that they need a new rule: if all the judges agree that the performance is good or bad, then only one judge can give the critique. What you have now is four judges basically all saying the same thing, dragging the show out.

I gave up watching AI live. I DVR the two shows and then skip the songs if the are bad or boring and only listen to Simon & Paula. I continue to be amazed at how she struggles to spit out a sentence or two. Great TV!

They should just cut to the chase and eliminate everyone but Adam, Kris, Allison and maybe Danny and have a 3 or 4 person finale that lasts a month. That being said, Adam should be the runaway winner. The rest of them have made the cut for the AI Tour and should just bow out gracefully. They have no chance.

I really think Adam needs to be careful with song selection. His voice is way to high for a lot of songs. If he happens to pick the wrong song, it could be a train wreck. But assuming he does pick correctly, he should make it to the final 3 at least...

And who watches anything live any more?

I really think Adam needs to be careful with song selection. His voice is way to high for a lot of songs. If he happens to pick the wrong song, it could be a train wreck. But assuming he does pick correctly, he should make it to the final 3 at least...

And who watches anything live any more?

Speaking of live...has anyone else noticed that they are lip synching during the group numbers?

Speaking of live...has anyone else noticed that they are lip synching during the group numbers?

YES!!! How terrible is that too!!??

You know, why bother if you're going to lip synch it anyway? And if you're going to lip synch and try to fool people, don't zoom in on the blind guy.

I thought the girl with the pink streak in her hair that got voted off the 2nd week(Alexis?) got a raw deal. I don't think she could have won it all, but she was a pretty good singer....and easy on the eyes. :thumbsup:

Also Coughy Sneezy Twitchy girl kind of burned her Idol bridge last night when she told Simon she didn't care what he thought. They wouldn't have saved her anyway but you don't bite the hand thats feeding you. :lol:

LOL She kind of lost her mind last night. I'm not sure what the hell she was doing with all the bird flapping and goofy faces. It was quite odd.

As for the lip synching, I noticed it too. Last week they did a close up of Adam and he was singing into a mic on a stand that wasn't there when they zoomed back out to the group shot. Pretty funny.