Former Bill Matt Bowen article on the Bills

LOL! Well played ! I think the pass rush part is right though I think the pass rush needs to come from the interior. Pennington hardly was touched with his quick drops, same for Kurt Warner last year. Brady presents the same problem.

A defensive tackle like Jerry or Raji would be more important than a DE.

As for Whitner, he was used to blitz but never got there or was easily blocked. He missed a lot of tackles as did Simpson and Ellison.

He (Bowen) probably just spent 2 hours here..

No great insights here - season really boils down to four issues:

1) Effectiveness of Trent Edwards

2) Effectiveness of D-line

3) Effectiveness of O-line

4) Coaching staff - can they put gameplans together that play to the strengths of the team and individual players

An issue that can't be controlled is injuries

Coaching staff - can they put gameplans together that play to the strengths of the team and individual players

I am not critical of their gameplanning as much as the game day decison making. Last year's follies included the JP fumble in an all but won game vs the Jets, an absurd settled for FG attempt vs. Cleveland, the time clock miscue at the end of the first half at NE as Duke Preston is fighting with the Pats, FG attempt from the one inch line after a 15 play drive vs SF that clanked off the upright, I'm sure there are many I am forgetting. Gameplanning is the least of our problems.

"No great insights", or some variation, seems to be a popular response here. I think that's because it's right on the money, for the most part. It is a reasoned, and informed analysis.

First off I found this to be interesting reading. Thanks for posting it Coach.

Bowen was a Buffalo Bills player, albeit for a short time but the fact he's a former NFL player and former Bill and probably still is intimate with the situation here gives greater weight to his observations. I found these things interesting:

"More importantly, Owens brings some competitive fire to Buffalo — something that seems to get him into the headlines quite often but that Buffalo desperately needs. It might not come off in the best of ways, but this league isn’t about making friends — it’s about winning."

In other words in his opinion the team that he was recently on and spent time in the locker room with doesn't have enough competitive fire.

About his former defensive backfield mate:

"He (Whitner) has the ability to get from sideline to sideline and could be a major factor in the middle of the field because he can deliver big hits at the point of contact. There’s no question Whitner is a talent, but the Bills need to find a way to allow him to become dominant and stop wasting him in the box taking on pulling guards."

In other words he affirms the believe that Whitner is an exceptional talent who has been misused.

I'm a huge Trent fan but when it comes from Bowen, it means something:

"Too often last season, Edwards settled for the check-down pass. He needs to develop an ability to take calculated chances down the field. The Bills can become a big-play offense that can score quickly, and Edwards should give his big-play guys a chance to go get the ball."

I'm in the minority but I thought it was a good read.

I'm in the minority but I thought it was a good read.

That's because most who prowl this Board are like the mobs in Escape From New York. They show up here every day heaving and drueling, waiting for Buffalo Rumblings or some other bogus site to throw them a ridiculous trade rumor so they can devour it like raw meat.

That's because most who prowl this Board are like the mobs in Escape From New York. They show up here every day heaving and drueling, waiting for Buffalo Rumblings or some other bogus site to throw them a ridiculous trade rumor so they can devour it like raw meat.

Trying to find morsels of enjoyment after being served the same bland crap for 9 years is the only pleasure we can get lately, do you need to minimalize it or dare even think of taking it away?

Trying to find morsels of enjoyment after being served the same bland crap for 9 years is the only pleasure we can get lately, do you need to minimalize it or dare even think of taking it away?

It's good to know you recognized yourself as one of the subhumans Coach Tuesday was referring to. That's a step in the right direction.

It's good to know you recognized yourself as one of the subhumans Coach Tuesday was referring to. That's a step in the right direction.

Does trying to enjoy myself with a intelligent group of football guys make me subhuman?? I think hunting the boards for repeated posts and calling people out for it places you in the subhuman category more, especially considering you repost as well (just a day ago actually).

You're a HID poster deaner- Hippocrit in denial

Does trying to enjoy myself with a intelligent group of football guys make me subhuman??

Let's see...

Does going to a concert, and standing in front of the guy in a wheelchair, the entire concert, singing so loud no one near you can hear anything but you (because you are just trying to enjoy yourself) make you a subhuman?

Does kicking the chair in front of you, at the movies, while you talk loudly on your cell phone (hey, you're just enjoying yourself) make you a subhuman?

Does letting your dog crap on the neighbors lawns, and you not picking up after him (he's just enjoying himself) make you a subhuman?

If you play in the street, you should look out for the traffic.

Now, get off the damn lawn, you stupid kid! /shakes fist/