All Time Bills Team RB Vote Flawed from the start

patfitz

If you have yet to cast a vote for the all time Buffalo Bills' team RB, you might just as well forget about it. While it comes down to a less than hotly debated contest between O.J and Thurman, both of whom I watched during their entire Bills playing careers. there is nohting less than an abominable oversight when it comes to recognizing the ultimate talented RB in Bills' history, and the original "T.O. ofhis day", none other than the first high school graduate of his day tp be sought after by none other than the NFL and the CFL. Cookie Gilchrist. A player that could run, catch, return kicks and also kick, and was considered to be the equal of Jim Brown if not even better, as he could run and block equally well. If it was 10 yards and goal to go with one play left, I would take Cookie over Thurman and O.J. without a second thought.

If you have yet to cast a vote for the all time Buffalo Bills' team RB, you might just as well forget about it. While it comes down to a less than hotly debated contest between O.J and Thurman, both of whom I watched during their entire Bills playing careers. there is nohting less than an abominable oversight when it comes to recognizing the ultimate talented RB in Bills' history, and the original "T.O. ofhis day", none other than the first high school graduate of his day tp be sought after by none other than the NFL and the CFL. Cookie Gilchrist. A player that could run, catch, return kicks and also kick, and was considered to be the equal of Jim Brown if not even better, as he could run and block equally well. If it was 10 yards and goal to go with one play left, I would take Cookie over Thurman and O.J. without a second thought.

It should be a full roster OJ, Cookie, Thurman, Braxton deserve to make the team. Same goes for McDole, Sestak, Smith

Smerlas. Butler, Reed, Dubenion, Moulds, Evans. It goes on and on.

Why would Ralph not want to recognize Gilchrist? Before my time, so this is a legit question and not sarcasm. :lol:

Cookie was the original "bad boy" (during an era where players were expected to be robots) ....... constant hold outs & boycotts ...... rude to fans, coaches, media, and the owner. He'd show up when and where he felt like. One of my early memories of my Bills fandom is watching the team practice during mini camp and seeing everybody busting butt except for one guy sitting on his helmet watching. When I asked my dad who he was and why the coaches weren't yelling at him, my dad just laughed and said "that's Cookie son ... he doesn't NEED to practice".

He was probably the best pure football player I've ever watched he could do everything and was a fearless beast on the field, but boy was he a pain in the ass to the front office.

They should have a spot for 2 RB and 4 DL, not 1 and 3.

Then you only have 2 WR and 3 LB...

Primarily, the Super Bowl teams were 1 RB/3WR on offense and a 3-4 defense.

One thing I found interesting was that they did not specify line positions. I voted for 4 guards (Shaw, Joe D, Reggie, and Ritcher) and a center (Hull) for example. I couldn't justify Wolford or Ballard with their 4-6 years each. My last vote came down to Ritcher vs Devlin.

Cookie Gilchrist is a close second to OJ. I hate having to say this...but OJ actually was the best running back. Awful human being...AWFUL MURDERING HUMAN BEING...but I have to go with him as the best running back. Then Cookie, then Thurman. After those three there are a few more who deserve mention (Bobby Burnett, rookie of the year, who was hurt...Wray Carlton...Cribbs, Hooks et. al. )

Cookie Gilchrist is a close second to OJ. I hate having to say this...but OJ actually was the best running back. Awful human being...AWFUL MURDERING HUMAN BEING...but I have to go with him as the best running back. Then Cookie, then Thurman. After those three there are a few more who deserve mention (Bobby Burnett, rookie of the year, who was hurt...Wray Carlton...Cribbs, Hooks et. al. )

Agree 100% about O.J. being the #1 and Cookie being #2 running back ...... while I think Cookie was the best "all around" football player, O.J. was by far the best running back.

If I remember correctly there was one season the Bills only attempted something like 140 passes all year ..... granted that was in the era of the 14 game schedule ...... but some teams do that in 3 or 4 games today. Now THAT'S relying on your running game

remember that Cookie also played a very good linebacker in a two way system in Canada and there were those who would have played him on the offensive line because he was such a tremendous blocker. He also kicked field goals and punted. He may have been the best all around player we ever had. Flutie (who could kick and like George Saimes who played safety in the pros but qb for Michigan) might be in the running. Eddie Rutkowske (receiver, quarterback and defensive back is another...but none of them were of the Cookie category.