Dick Jauron / Turk Shonert

Guest dog14787

:rolleyes:

That should show you how much I really care about the Turk ....

or this coaching staff in general ....

It will get better when we land...

Mike Leach, Texas Tech

"The guy will never have talent on par with Texas or Oklahoma. Doesn't matter. Leach has managed to stay competitive during a nine-year run in Lubbock that has brought unparalleled acclaim and attention to the school. Last season was Leach's crowning glory, leading the Red Raiders to a share of their first Big 12 South title and a heart-stopping win over then-No. 1 Texas. Still, Leach was dragged through a contentious negotiation to get a contract extension after the season. Insane."

link

Guest dog14787
It will get better when we land...

Mike Leach, Texas Tech

"The guy will never have talent on par with Texas or Oklahoma. Doesn't matter. Leach has managed to stay competitive during a nine-year run in Lubbock that has brought unparalleled acclaim and attention to the school. Last season was Leach's crowning glory, leading the Red Raiders to a share of their first Big 12 South title and a heart-stopping win over then-No. 1 Texas. Still, Leach was dragged through a contentious negotiation to get a contract extension after the season. Insane."

link

The problem is a fella like Mike Leach probably wouldn't accept anything less then a Head Coaching position even though it would be wiser for him to enter into the NFL as an OC. Mike Leach does have the creative type mind that would thrive in the NFL in my opinion and it will not surprise me to see him coaching for an NFL team one day.

They are calling him one of the most innovative offensive minds in college football, we could use some of that :thumbsup:

What I want to see from Turk is to let go of the reigns a little bit. I think the QB has the best feel for the game. The OC needs to prepare his QB all week and game plan and so on, but come game day, I think he needs to let Edwards take a little more control of the playcalling and so on. I think the more successful offensive coordinators don't have huge egos. Look at how successful Ted Marchibroda was letting Jim Kelly run the offense on game days! Not saying Edwards is Kelly here, but I'm just saying that I'd like to see the reigns loosened just a little bit.

Guest dog14787
What I want to see from Turk is to let go of the reigns a little bit. I think the QB has the best feel for the game. The OC needs to prepare his QB all week and game plan and so on, but come game day, I think he needs to let Edwards take a little more control of the playcalling and so on. I think the more successful offensive coordinators don't have huge egos. Look at how successful Ted Marchibroda was letting Jim Kelly run the offense on game days! Not saying Edwards is Kelly here, but I'm just saying that I'd like to see the reigns loosened just a little bit.

I couldn't agree more, giving the QB more control, especially a smart one like TE will help him gain confidence and get the offense on track. :thumbsup:

The problem is a fella like Mike Leach probably wouldn't accept anything less then a Head Coaching position even though it would be wiser for him to enter into the NFL as an OC. Mike Leach does have the creative type mind that would thrive in the NFL in my opinion and it will not surprise me to see him coaching for an NFL team one day.

They are calling him one of the most innovative offensive minds in college football, we could use some of that :thumbsup:

I believe they said the same thing about Spurrier, and his Fun 'n Gun offense.

Those "creative" style of college offenses succeed at the collegiate level because they take advantage of the disparity of talent in their defensive opponent.

I couldn't agree more, giving the QB more control, especially a smart one like TE will help him gain confidence and get the offense on track. :thumbsup:

Or could end up destroying his confidence. He is still a young player, and dumping that kind of responsibility on him before he can handle it would be disastrous.

Guest dog14787
Or could end up destroying his confidence. He is still a young player, and dumping that kind of responsibility on him before he can handle it would be disastrous.

What makes you so sure Turk Shonerts play calling isn't destroying TE's confidence?

Maybe TE will play better knowing he has some control and not be completely at the mercy of the play his coach calls. He is on the field and he does have players coming up to him giving him input and you can bet TE will be getting an ear full from TO.

Trent Edwards is smart enough to handle it and in my opinion it would help him get into a rhythm, something he hasn't been able to do.

What makes you so sure Turk Shonerts play calling isn't destroying TE's confidence?

I never said it wasn't. In case you have missed it, I am not a fan of the Bills present coaching staff.

However, that does not automatically mean placing the play calling into Trent's hand is a better option.

Maybe TE will play better knowing he has some control and not be completely at the mercy of the play his coach calls. He is on the field and he does have players coming up to him giving him input and you can bet TE will be getting an ear full from TO.

Maybe he will and maybe he won't.

However, last season Trent was still struggling processing the information he was required to. Remember after the Cleveland game, Trent stated he felt unprepared for what he faced. Part of that was the coaching staff (and since that will not change, that will still cause problems), and part of that was his immaturity as a NFL QB. In order for him to carry the burden of play calling, he will need a pretty good body of work experience to build upon and learn from. He lacks that experience at this time. As a point of comparison, Kelly was in his 7th year as a professional QB (his 5th year in the NFL) when he took over the play calling.

Further, you need to consider Trent's statement after the KC game. Trent claims one of the reasons the offense was successful was due to the coaching staff simplifying the offense. In all honesty, does that sound like a player ready to carry the extra complexities play calling brings to the table?

Trent Edwards is smart enough to handle it and in my opinion it would help him get into a rhythm, something he hasn't been able to do.

One other thing you may be over looking. Trent Edwards may NOT want the additional responsibility of play calling.

he hasnt minded it in the past

Okay, maybe I missed something.

Other than him running the occasional no huddle/2 minute offense, when has Trent been in full command of the play calling?

This is why I mentioned that Trent really needs to step up, Payton Manning calls his own plays. Manning has so much power in Indy that the coaching staff would call a FG and Manning would order the FG unit off the field and resume the offense.

Schonert called some ok games,but he called constant shotgun passing plays, most of which put Trent behind the 8 ball most of the time. If they ran to setup the pass like Baltimore and Atlanta did and used play action more, then opposing defenses wouldn't be able to key on the pass all the time.

So yea, Buffalo's offense will still be very limited by the coaching staff no matter who they put on the field,JMO

Or, you just ease him in. You don't dump it all on him at once, but in certain situations, you let your QB make the call. If that goes well, you expand on that.

Or, you just ease him in. You don't dump it all on him at once, but in certain situations, you let your QB make the call. If that goes well, you expand on that.

That probably is the best option. Feed Trent enough rope to either hang himself or to lasso the offense under control. Adjust as needed.

I guess my biggest concern is with the goobers that make up the coaching staff. I have no confidence in them to properly analyze the situation. Heck, I think they would struggle game planning a game of Go Fish.

Guest dog14787

I started this thread about our Head Coach and OC and its been a negative one on my part so far and I thought it would only be fair to mention one more very important observation I took in from last season and the way it ended.

Well after the games stopped having any meaning and the chances of a playoff berth was just a memory, our guys never stopped battling. Battling for each other, battling for their coaches, battling because that's what your supposed to do because your a football player in the National Football League, and that has to count for something.

I started this thread about our Head Coach and OC and its been a negative one on my part so far and I thought it would only be fair to mention one more very important observation I took in from last season and the way it ended.

Well after the games stopped having any meaning and the chances of a playoff berth was just a memory, our guys never stopped battling. Battling for each other, battling for their coaches, battling because that's what your supposed to do because your a football player in the National Football League, and that has to count for something.

It is the NFL, and there is only one measuring stick: wins.

The rest of what you said counts for nothing if the end result is a loss.

Guest dog14787
It is the NFL, and there is only one measuring stick: wins.

The rest of what you said counts for nothing if the end result is a loss.

You are after all "Cynical" though, what ever happened to the old saying," its not whether you win or lose, its how you play the game" <_<