Bills Done in Free Agency

BillsNYC

Mark Gaughn and Sully both said in their chats today that the Bills are done in free agency, which means what you see is what you get plus a couple draft picks. Sully said he was actually surprised by it.

Is it really smart to have Jauron build through the draft for this season when he likely won't be here next year?

Mark Gaughn and Sully both said in their chats today that the Bills are done in free agency, which means what you see is what you get plus a couple draft picks. Sully said he was actually surprised by it.

Is it really smart to have Jauron build through the draft for this season when he likely won't be here next year?

He has a 3 year contract...they didnt keep him with the intention of firing him this year...sure they may very well do so if he falters, but I am wiling to bet the FO is a little more optimistic about our team than you. So letting him fill some spots in the draft is just fine. And there are not any real prominent free agent players out there that fill any glaring holes. And if Schobel gets back healthy and back to form, we dont have any big "glaring holes" outside of TE and even thats debateable since we dont really know what Fine can do yet.

There are positions we could use some upgrades to for sure, but I just dont see those players out there in FA that are definite upgrades. So, that leaves us with the draft to fill those spots or even possible trades. Tim Graham said there have been some trade flirtations with the Bills from the Owners meetings that he will be writing about as more develops. So, we may be done with FA, that doesnt mean we still cant bring in some more talented upgrades like a TE, DL, or OL player via trade.

He has a 3 year contract...they didnt keep him with the intention of firing him this year...sure they may very well do so if he falters, but I am wiling to bet the FO is a little more optimistic about our team than you. So letting him fill some spots in the draft is just fine. And there are not any real prominent free agent players out there that fill any glaring holes. And if Schobel gets back healthy and back to form, we dont have any big "glaring holes" outside of TE and even thats debateable since we dont really know what Fine can do yet.

There are positions we could use some upgrades to for sure, but I just dont see those players out there in FA that are definite upgrades. So, that leaves us with the draft to fill those spots or even possible trades. Tim Graham said there have been some trade flirtations with the Bills from the Owners meetings that he will be writing about as more develops. So, we may be done with FA, that doesnt mean we still cant bring in some more talented upgrades like a TE, DL, or OL player via trade.

Left Guard and Linebacker aren't glaring holes? And potentially Left Tackle....

I'd feel pretty good about our off-season if we rounded it out with a trade. Provided the trade was one of addition more than subtraction. For example, if we trade Peters for a late first round pick and a marginal player in return, that wouldn't make me jump for joy. On the flip-side a trade of a mid-round pick for an established veteran would be ideal IMO.

well, let's put it this way, our LB corps is stronger this year than last, and that is a fact. I'm not saying we shouldn't upgrade here, but none the less, we are stronger.

Left Gaurd as of right now, we are weaker. However there still is the draft, and there still is FA and trade possibilities.

Plus, Sully and Gaughn are jumping the gun, they don't know for sure. I would think at this stage, the most prudent action would be to wait after the draft, and from there address any needs.

I'm really really sorry, but I can't get past the bolded words without :rolleyes::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

I dont think LB and LG are glaring holes to the point there are drastic upgrades left in FA. That is what I mean by that. LT is not a hole, yet...

I think we will be better off filling those via the draft then whats left in FA...

don't forget there is going to be about the quality of player available through FA even up to the preseason as there currently is available now. We often pick up veterans during that period - however it seems they usually end up on IR before preseason is out

Looks like Tim agrees:

Brian (Orlando, FL): If the Bills know to be successful that they need to keep Trent Edwards healthy, why are they neglecting the offensive line?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:42 PM ET ) I'm wondering why they're so focused on a third running back. Their reasoning (or at least what they're saying publicly) is to keep Lynch and Jackson fresh. I say the best way to keep them fresh is to improve the O-line. But now they're left with the draft.

Looks like Tim agrees:

Brian (Orlando, FL): If the Bills know to be successful that they need to keep Trent Edwards healthy, why are they neglecting the offensive line?

SportsNation Tim Graham: (3:42 PM ET ) I'm wondering why they're so focused on a third running back. Their reasoning (or at least what they're saying publicly) is to keep Lynch and Jackson fresh. I say the best way to keep them fresh is to improve the O-line. But now they're left with the draft.

Isn't it very possible that Tim answered that question in that manner because there aren't any free agent offensive linemen left out there that are worth signing? To me, that doesn't at all verify that the Bills are not going to make any more moves in free agency in general.

Isn't it very possible that Tim answered that question in that manner because there aren't any free agent offensive linemen left out there that are worth signing? To me, that doesn't at all verify that the Bills are not going to make any more moves in free agency in general.

What about Simmons?

You know, I think the Bills are content seeing what they get in the draft; if they come out of the draft without another o-linemen or LB, then maybe they grab a June 1st cut???

I am willing to bet the FO is a little more optimistic about our team than you.

And that's encouraging how? Seeing as though they've been pretty optimistic for a while now...Until reality set in...They continue to ignore the fact that their HC is a proven loser...Forgive Me if The Bills FO optimism is no longer fooling this lifetime Fan...:rolleyes:

What about Simmons?

You know, I think the Bills are content seeing what they get in the draft; if they come out of the draft without another o-linemen or LB, then maybe they grab a June 1st cut???

That is one train of thought. Might be a decent strategy. As far as Kendall Simmons goes, I don't know that he's much better than what we currently have. Bit of damaged goods as well.

And that's encouraging how? Seeing as though they've been pretty optimistic for a while now...Until reality set in...They continue to ignore the fact that their HC is a proven loser...Forgive Me if The Bills FO optimism is no longer fooling this lifetime Fan... :w00t:

The Bills front office IS optimistic - they're selling T.O. jerseys like hotcakes and could possibly rake in extra money from a SECOND Toronto game in the years to come - what's not to like if you're a marketing guy?

Meanwhile on the football field..... :rolleyes: