Oh boy...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's Scout Inc's 33rd ranked player and 4th rated cornerback. But why would the Bills be looking at a highly rated cornerback?

He's 5'10 3/8" and 183 pounds. He ran 4.32, 4.53, and 4.41 at the combine and his stock is soaring.

Production 1 2004: Connecticut red-shirted Butler. 2005-06: Appeared in 22 games (21 starts) recording 86 total-tackles and eight interceptions. 2007: Started all 13 games recording 54 total tackles and two interceptions

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Average height and bulk to go along with good top-end

Durability 2 Durability is a minor concern, as he missed the 2006 Syracuse game with a sore hamstring.

Character 0 N/A

Defensive Corner specific Traits

Recognition Skills/Toughness 2 An instinctive overall player. Shows good awareness in zone coverage and does a nice job of mid-pointing high-low routes.

Closing Burst 2 Shows good short-area burst when closing to the football. Shows a second gear and can recover when receivers get behind him. Has a tendency to false step coming out of backpedal

Fluidity 3 Displays loose hips and can easily changes directions. Shows ability to turn and run with receivers off of press coverage. Needs to improve off man skills, as he allows too much separation out of breaks

Ball Skills 2 Aggressive when going after the football. Does a nice job of getting hands between the ball and receiver without drawing pass-interference flag

Run Support 2 Does a nice job of shedding blocks and getting to the football. Effective going down low and knocking ball carriers off their feet.

Trait Scale

Why not look at him? They can bring in 40 players, and there is a chance all the players they have rated higher will be gone by the time they draft in round 2.

That's true although it makes me nervous because that position is our 4th or 5th need at best.

I know you can't have enough CBs and you should draft the best athlete available, etc. etc.

But still.

In addition, there's talk that he's passed Vontae Davis on many draft boards and Malcolm Jenkins on a few and might be taken by Miami or Pittsburgh in the first round. So I just don't see the rationale.

It could also be a smokescreen but why waste the time? I can definitely think of 40 other players I'd rather see them bring in.

The NFL has forged a pass-happy league.

Looking at CBs, to me, is just due diligence.

You can make the case but again, he's not going to make it to our pick at #42. He's rising on boards and will probably be gone in the first round. We won't have a shot at him. And regardless, does anyone think it's a good idea using our 2nd round pick on a cornerback?

As I said above I can think of 40 other players I'd rather bring in to look at...and none of them are cornerbacks.

And regardless, does anyone think it's a good idea using our 2nd round pick on a cornerback?

No...I don't. I offer no case in evidence. But any team with an ounce of brains entertains a CB visit, given the way the NFL runs their business these days.

The big picture...

You can make the case but again, he's not going to make it to our pick at #42. He's rising on boards and will probably be gone in the first round. We won't have a shot at him. And regardless, does anyone think it's a good idea using our 2nd round pick on a cornerback?

As I said above I can think of 40 other players I'd rather bring in to look at...and none of them are cornerbacks.

Youboty was a projected late first round pick no one thought he would make it out round 2...we got him in round 3...

There are no certainties...and what are all these posts of where he ranks on teams draft boards...no one knows what a single team has as a draft board and no one will...its all speculation...

No..I don't. But any team with an ounce of brains entertains a CB visit, given the way the NFL runs their business these days.

A cornerback yes, but a first round cornerback?

You're missing my point. In the Buffalo Rumblings post Brian identified 4 areas of need and 33 players at those positions. He also left out several players at those positions.

You look at a player like Butler if you think you're either going to draft him in the first round or that he'll slide to you in round 2 (in which case you're going to take him ahead of 3 other needs). Neither of those things is going to happen.

Sure bring in a cornerback, but like the safety we brought in last week, Chip Vaughan of Wake Forest, consider if he's even going to be a possibility for us before bringing him in.

It seems like they could make better choices as to who to bring in/how to spend their time.

Youboty was a projected late first round pick no one thought he would make it out round 2...we got him in round 3...

There are no certainties...and what are all these posts of where he ranks on teams draft boards...no one knows what a single team has as a draft board and no one will...its all speculation...

Well, we'll see where Butler goes. I'd bet a lot of money that he'll go on the first day though.

Well, as you know, with McGee scheduled to leave after this season and Youboty after the next, we need to start planning ahead. The lines will just work themselves out with expensive free agent underachievers and undrafted players.

Now we're getting somewhere. So in realization of our worst fears, we're preparing to replace another player we can't re-sign. One would have hoped that the decision to let Greer go would have strongly implied a commitment to keep McGee. If we draft Butler in the first two rounds, you, I, and everyone else will have a freaking fit.

And I'm typically one of the cooler heads around here.

The NFL has forged a pass-happy league.

Looking at CBs, to me, is just due diligence.

Bingo. They are looking at him, because it is their job to look at him.

Bingo. They are looking at him, because it is their job to look at him.

Okay. Let me put this in a way that maybe everyone will understand.

Does this mean we'll also bring in Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Alphonso Smith, and D.J. Moore?

Am I any clearer about what I'm saying? I've already said you can't have enough cornerbacks...but

A cornerback yes, but a first round cornerback?

You're missing my point. In the Buffalo Rumblings post Brian identified 4 areas of need and 33 players at those positions. He also left out several players at those positions.

You look at a player like Butler if you think you're either going to draft him in the first round or that he'll slide to you in round 2 (in which case you're going to take him ahead of 3 other needs). Neither of those things is going to happen.

Sure bring in a cornerback, but like the safety we brought in last week, Chip Vaughan of Wake Forest, consider if he's even going to be a possibility for us before bringing him in.

It seems like they could make better choices as to who to bring in/how to spend their time.

I'm not missing any point. I merely stated that given the emphasis of the pass game currently prevalent, it is folly not to explore all avenues.

That is not to be construed as a desire for a backfield player as a high draft choice, on my part, or on the part of the Bills' organization.

I expressed a general observation, and I shan't be drawn into argument about their specific plans. That is their own business. If they are keeping their eyes open, that is all to the good.

IMO.

Okay. Let me put this in a way that maybe everyone will understand.

Does this mean we'll also bring in Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Alphonso Smith, and D.J. Moore?

Am I any clearer about what I'm saying? I've already said you can't have enough cornerbacks...but

We play in a division with the scariest passing attack in football in NE. Its all due dilligence...and with Jenkins, Davis, Smith, and Moore all in the mix, I dont see how you are so certain he is a first round pick. I cant even think of a mock with him going in the first. To me he is a second round slated draft pick which means he could slide to us in the third. Chris Gamble was also slated high and he slid to the 3rd I believe a few years back too.

Like someone already said, its due dilligence. There are NO gaurantees that he will be a first or even a second round pick, so you do your homework now in case he is available at a slot we want him. Its just that simple...

Think about last year...many had us taking a WR in the first...many had several teams taking a WR in the first just to see none taken...in fact, several were taken AHEAD of those that were projected to go in the first...point is, you never know who is going to be there and no one knows what the other teams draft board looks like...

I'm not missing any point. I merely stated that given the emphasis of the pass game currently prevalent, it is folly not to explore all avenues.

That is not to be construed as a desire for a backfield player as a high draft choice, on my part, or on the part of the Bills' organization.

I expressed a general observation, and I shan't be drawn into argument about their specific plans. That is their own business. If they are keeping their eyes open, that is all to the good.

IMO.

Believe me cincy, I'm not here, nor am I ever here, to argue. I do like a good discussion though.

Last point I'll make:

If someone wants to be dismissive about the move and say the Bills are doing their cornerback due dilligence because of the premium on that position, then shouldn't they necessarily be bringing in most/all of the top rated cornerbacks who might slide down into the 3rd round?

I guess I'd much rather see them bringing in pass rushers right now.

We play in a division with the scariest passing attack in football in NE. Its all due dilligence...and with Jenkins, Davis, Smith, and Moore all in the mix, I dont see how you are so certain he is a first round pick. I cant even think of a mock with him going in the first. To me he is a second round slated draft pick which means he could slide to us in the third. Chris Gamble was also slated high and he slid to the 3rd I believe a few years back too.

Like someone already said, its due dilligence. There are NO gaurantees that he will be a first or even a second round pick, so you do your homework now in case he is available at a slot we want him. Its just that simple...

Think about last year...many had us taking a WR in the first...many had several teams taking a WR in the first just to see none taken...in fact, several were taken AHEAD of those that were projected to go in the first...point is, you never know who is going to be there and no one knows what the other teams draft board looks like...

Not to sharpshoot you Alpha because I think you know I respect you. Gamble was however a 1st rounder although like you say, many players projected to go in the 1st slide pretty damn far.

By the rationale you and the others state, bring in all the top cornerbacks to evaluate for that hypothetical scenario.

He's Scout Inc's 33rd ranked player and 4th rated cornerback. But why would the Bills be looking at a highly rated cornerback?

Because Mcgee is in his last year. If we draft someone in the 2nd, it will be an insurance policy for McGee leaving, and if Florence doesn't work out.