Draft Breakdown

BillsNYC

Great job The best thing about it is that it looks like the approach the Bills take to the draft in that they are not so focused on one player (if they were the answer is more clearly trade up or risk dying and they are not trading up), but really are more focused on taking the best player they judge to be available at a number of positions.

The ultimate question I think comes down to which position do they hope really works out given the overall strategy they want to pursue. My sense is that this is a wildcard but that jauron all things being whatever they turn out to be is a D oriented guy. The nice thing for them trying to anticipate their pick is that #11 it is really unlikely that there will be a run on BOTH D slots. My guess is that if Maybin is gone they take Matthews and if Matthews is gone they take Maybin and if both are left it really comes down to which player Jauron likes more.

I like it a lot. I think if you go D front seven in first, either LB or DE. Second must be a Oline man that should be able to step right in and start, like Robinson. And then come back in the third with the second piece to the D front seven. If he is correct about the talent drop at linebacker, then the Bills should go LB in the first. Also the bills have a D.E in Ellis that they drafted last year in the third. It usually takes a player drafted after the second round a year or two to develope. Thats why they last into the third. If Ellis is ready then go TE in third. But only if you think he is good enough to see the field this year.

Better bloodlines, good production, faster, stronger, jumps higher, more explosive and overall better athlete...

I get the bloodlines, but the rest I would question. To me he seems to be a player who's moving up the charts after his college career is over.

Personally based on what I saw on the field...I take Cushing and am happy for years to come.

Cushing's injury history and Matthews off season workouts could be a factor, but I don't know if those factors would be enough to cause Matthews to pass Cushing.

Yeah, I think we're on the same page. Missed half of 2005 season and 3 games in 07. For a hard hitter is that terrible? Yet his durability is a question (see link).

insider

Overall Football Traits

Production 3 2005: Despite missing half the season with an injury, (See durability) appeared in eight games (four starts) recording 23 total tackles. 2006: Started all 13 games recording 57 tackles and a team-best 13.5 tackles-for-loss. 2007: Appeared in 10 games (eight starts) recording 25 total tackles including 2 ½ for losses.

Height-Weight-Speed 1 Possesses a very good combination of height, bulk, and overall speed

Durability 4 Durability is a concern, as he missed nearly half the 2005 season with a shoulder injury. Also missed three games in 2007 due to a sprained ankle

Outside Linebacker specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 1 Shows good instincts. Seems to play a step ahead of everyone else, as he locates and gets to it extremely fast. Recognizes play action quickly and does a nice job of staying home against misdirection

Pursuit/Point of Attack 2 Plays at the Sam linebacker position and is very stout when lined up over tight ends. Down-hill and aggressive player. Is loose in the hips and changes directions extremely well. Displays sideline-to-sideline range and does a good job of avoiding blocks without taking himself out of the play when in pursuit. Needs to improve ability to shed blocks quickly

Tackling 2 An impact tackler. Strong hands help him wrap up and bring down carriers. Also does a solid job of breaking down and making open field tackles

Pass Coverage 2 Shows outstanding awareness in coverage and does a sound job of looking up receivers. Reads the quarterback's eyes well and makes quick break on the ball. Has some stiffness in his hips and will be limited in certain man-to-man matchups, as a result. But when in position he displays good overall ball skills making the play given the opportunity. (see California 2007 1st quarter)

Pass Rusher 2 Shows quickness and power off the edge along with ability to close quickly. Also times stunts through the A and B gaps well

Then you look at Mathews and they've moved him a couple slots higher than Cushing and yet his bio looks like this:

Overall Football Traits

Production 0 None available

Height-Weight-Speed 0 None available

Durability 0 None available

Character 0 None available

Outside Linebacker specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition N/A No information available at this time

Pursuit/Point of Attack N/A No information available at this time

Tackling N/A No information available at this time

Pass Coverage N/A No information available at this time

Pass Rusher N/A No information available at this time

IMO they've moved him up strictly based on off the field workouts.

Watch the friggin games!

Then

I get the bloodlines, but the rest I would question. To me he seems to be a player who's moving up the charts after his college career is over.

Personally based on what I saw on the field...I take Cushing and am happy for years to come.

Phew! I almost agreed with BB but I went back and looked at the information on Cushing and his injury history is enough to make me say no. I like Matthews much better. However, last year Buffalo drafted Chris Ellis who has a history of injuries and I was waaaay against the pick for that reason. It looks like he had an injury again last year too. This guy can be the next coming of LT but if he's off the field who cares.